Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best new front tires for my 2020 X Long Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Folks,

The front tires on my 2020 X LR are approaching 30K miles and definitely worn down (the rears are still in great shape). There seem to be quit a few options for replacements. I'm most concerned about range-- I do a lot of long-ish driving. After that comes tire longevity. Road noise is third and I don't care much about performance, as I am not a leadfoot driver.

Should I just replace them with OEM's (Continental Cross Contact LX Sport) which are also, unsurprisingly, the most expensive?

Discount Tire's online guide is recommending Yokohama Geolandar X-CV's, which I've never heard of, or Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus's, which people have mentioned in other threads.

They also list the Continental Cross Contact LX 25, which are a good $100 cheaper than the OEMs. What am I giving up with the cheaper Continentals over the OEMs? Not that I'll skimp on tires if I'm compromising anything, but if I can save $200...

Opinions? Am I missing a good option?

The phrase "paralyzed by choice" comes to mind... but I'd like to get this done ASAP.

Thanks!

pax / Ctein

The Pirellis are good tires, We have them on an ICE vehicle. In Conti land, the stock ones have that foam ring inside to make them quieter. Pirelles are pretty quiet without that though.

The 2020 X is not a very quiet car, so I would rank my needs as 1 range, 2 noise, 3 wear, 4 high performance grip. I swap wear and noise compared your requirements.

But the range factor is the killer need, right? I know in Chevy Volt land, the OEM Michelin Energy Saver tires can't be beat on that car. I just don't know if the Pirellis match the OEM Contis in the X. That is my fear, and why I will probably go with the OEM tire when my X needs tires. Smallest risk, but for most money.

(I assume this is the Ctein from Saturn Run. A bunch of us at work read it and really enjoyed it.)

Hi, FIT!

Yup, it's the one and only.

Well, I don't KNOW that I'm the one and only Ctein, but I am the one who co-authored Saturn Run. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! John and I sure enjoyed writing it.

Not being able to get a clear answer on alternatives, I decided to play it safe and stick with the OEM Conti's. Which the local discount place didn't have in stock, so I'm out $500/tire, including all the 'incidentals.' Sigh. Ah well, the last thing I'm going to do is take chances on replacement tires to save a buck after buying a $100K car. At least I only need to be replacing the front two right now.

pax / Ctein