Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Bike Rack for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kuat is simply amazing
It takes minimal effort and time to load and remove bikes

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    614.9 KB · Views: 489
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    653.6 KB · Views: 470
Thanks for that!
Note that a 4-bike 1Up would require one of the "double rack" dimensions and 2 of the single dimensions (each add-on is a single rack and takes the same "box space" as the regular single rack).

But, that is "in box" dimensions. Given the nature of the way it folds, there will definitely be some amount of rack tetris that lets them fit into a smaller space than 3xbox dimensions. I have a single rack and 1 add-on, but no Model X to try them in a frunk/trunk. If someone in the Bay Area wants to explore this, PM me...

Note that a 4-bike 1Up would require one of the "double rack" dimensions and 2 of the single dimensions (each add-on is a single rack and takes the same "box space" as the regular single rack).

But, that is "in box" dimensions. Given the nature of the way it folds, there will definitely be some amount of rack tetris that lets them fit into a smaller space than 3xbox dimensions. I have a single rack and 1 add-on, but no Model X to try them in a frunk/trunk. If someone in the Bay Area wants to explore this, PM me...
Not quite as the add-ons aren't as big as the single with the tow receiver plug on it.

I guess I just don't get the concern with folding it up and putting it in the car. Just leave it attached to the hitch and fold it up vertically when not in use. Or leave it in the garage at home if not carrying bikes. I can't see any circumstance in which I would take it off the hitch and put it into the vehicle.

My OneUp rack doesn't fit into the 2 inch receiver on our Model X very well (The receiver is a tiny bit too tight). I can't get it in to the required depth. No problem putting it into the receiver on my Jeep. Anyone else have this issue? I might have to ask Tesla for a different one....

My OneUp rack doesn't fit into the 2 inch receiver on our Model X very well (The receiver is a tiny bit too tight). I can't get it in to the required depth. No problem putting it into the receiver on my Jeep. Anyone else have this issue? I might have to ask Tesla for a different one....
oh dear...mine should be here in a couple of days, and I will try on my X. I ordered it based off of everyone's recs on the X forums...so hopefully its not a problem.

I have had no problem with my 1-up on the receiver of my X! I would ask tesla to replace yours, or if you need me to swing by sometime you can check your 1-up on my X to make sure it isn't the 1-up. My concern is that my hitch isn't level and so my rack and bikes aren't fully straight or level.

Not quite as the add-ons aren't as big as the single with the tow receiver plug on it.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with here. The box dimensions of the two are, in fact, identical at 30"x14"x8". But I agree that out of the box the add-on will be smaller, which is why I added the paragraph mentioning that the packing of the racks themselves would be more flexible than just looking at their posted box dimensions.

(And, for the record, I'm also not sure why someone would be concerned with carrying the rack this way - just trying to answer feasibility questions here...)

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with here. The box dimensions of the two are, in fact, identical at 30"x14"x8". But I agree that out of the box the add-on will be smaller, which is why I added the paragraph mentioning that the packing of the racks themselves would be more flexible than just looking at their posted box dimensions.

(And, for the record, I'm also not sure why someone would be concerned with carrying the rack this way - just trying to answer feasibility questions here...)
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying and pointing that out. As I indicated, I don't really care much about how big they are off the vehicle as long as it fits in my garage so I didn't dig that deep or pay that close of attention. My apologies.

Thanks for the help.

As to why we'd store it in the frunk, my "garage" storage space is at a premium (as I have a carport and not a garage), while my frunk storage space is always available. I've found with our Model S that it's not wise to keep frequently used items in the frunk (too difficult to close, creasing, or even just handprints). Instead the frunk works best for infrequently used items.

I assume apartment/condo dwellers would have similar issues -- they might have bike parking, but not a lot of excess secure storage.

I have a similar problem with all car accessories. I will definitely pay more for accessories that take less physical space when not being used.

Thanks for the help.

As to why we'd store it in the frunk, my "garage" storage space is at a premium (as I have a carport and not a garage), while my frunk storage space is always available. I've found with our Model S that it's not wise to keep frequently used items in the frunk (too difficult to close, creasing, or even just handprints). Instead the frunk works best for infrequently used items.

I assume apartment/condo dwellers would have similar issues -- they might have bike parking, but not a lot of excess secure storage.

I have a similar problem with all car accessories. I will definitely pay more for accessories that take less physical space when not being used.
Gotcha. I can see this as an issue with your circumstances. Honestly, I don't know that any other tray style hitch mounts fold up at all.

Off topic, but thought I would share with my cycling friends here. I came so close to winning the 2016 Utah State Hill Climbing Championships up a 14 mile HC category climb, in Masters, today (on my Delta 7 :) ). Played cat and mouse with Heinrich (Cat 2 rider) the last 500 yards. I thought I could out sprint him from the front spot the last 200 yards. I thought wrong. Stupid. I really wanted the title. I'm going to replay that ending over and over in my head for a while. I should have been more patient and waited for him to go, but the last thing I wanted was for someone else to catch us while we played footsie near the finish. AAaarggh!

Attachments

• IMG_0551.JPG
    IMG_0551.JPG
    771.8 KB · Views: 402
Off topic, but thought I would share with my cycling friends here. I came so close to winning the 2016 Utah State Hill Climbing Championships up a 14 mile HC category climb, in Masters, today (on my Delta 7 :) ). Played cat and mouse with Heinrich (Cat 2 rider) the last 500 yards. I thought I could out sprint him from the front spot the last 200 yards. I thought wrong. Stupid. I really wanted the title. I'm going to replay that ending over and over in my head for a while. I should have been more patient and waited for him to go, but the last thing I wanted was for someone else to catch us while we played footsie near the finish. AAaarggh!
Sweet! Congrats on the 2nd place! Yeah, there are quite a few finishes I've had like that. Stuck in my head for weeks!

Wait, you ride for Canyon Bikes? Are you aware of their partnership with the AUDI Cycling Team out of Seattle for some of the bigger US races?