Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before you get stuck at a Supercharger, read this please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We know the payment types we have designated in our wallet, have a default, as well as an arbitrary number of back ups. But let's assume you forgot your payment for your default card. You're at the supercharger and the charger is inoperative. So you use, or select should I say, one of your back up forms of payment. That will not do you any good. The form of payment that governs your ability to supercharge is found under charging in your app. If that happens to be the one that you forgot the payment for, you're SOL. You need to designate one of your other payment options. I've gone to 4 1/2 years without knowing this until last weekend.

We know the payment types we have designated in our wallet, have a default, as well as an arbitrary number of back ups. But let's assume you forgot your payment for your default card. You're at the supercharger and the charger is inoperative. So you use, or select should I say, one of your back up forms of payment. That will not do you any good. The form of payment that governs your ability to supercharge is found under charging in your app. If that happens to be the one that you forgot the payment for, you're SOL. You need to designate one of your other payment options. I've gone to 4 1/2 years without knowing this until last weekend.
Happened to me year 1 while in the :US of Eh" (upstate New York), After forgetting that I had put a lock on my MC for foreign transactions. We learn real quick from our mishaps 🤣

phone upper right hand corner; click on photo, then account, then wallet to find your designated payment types. two items below wallet is charging. that has the important payment method. If you're getting refused, edit that payment type to one of the other payment types. If you've got funds, that'll bring it back to operational status.

phone upper right hand corner; click on photo, then account, then wallet to find your designated payment types. two items below wallet is charging. that has the important payment method. If you're getting refused, edit that payment type to one of the other payment types. If you've got funds, that'll bring it back to operational status.
The above is important!

A few months ago I was on a 2+ week trip and lost my credit card after a week. I discovered that I had lost it within an hour and reported it lost and canceled it. Forgetting that this is the card in my Tesla account I then went ~4 days without going to a supercharger (hotel charging) and then charged 3 or 4 times at superchargers on my way home. Then it occurred to me how am I being allowed to charge? (see note)
That night I went in and deleted that card and changed my card to another one.
I thought that Tesla is so nice...they know I'm 1000 miles from home and are letting me continue to charge so I'm not stranded and can get home! Nope.

Next day I drive to a supercharger and everything works, but when I unplug I get a warning that further charging is disabled until I update my card -- which I already had done. So it seems like Tesla allows one rejected payment. While driving on the Interstate I call Tesla and explain the situation and they are stumped as to why I get this warning and it keeps popping up as I'm driving. After trying several things (by my passenger) and none working they suggest I pull off the road. Finally they tell me about the wallet and charging setting in the phone app. I have to say that I had never seen things things before. Not even sure they existed when I bought my car 5 years before. I had only entered my one card on a laptop in one place and never looked at it again.

Note: the lost card kept working because the bank knew Tesla was a prior recurring payment. They allowed known merchants to continue ordinary payment requests for some time on a card reported lost so bills like your phone, utilities, Netflix and the like don't get canceled because they happened to arrive a short while after a card goes missing. I suppose you could call them and stop this as well.

FYI, I have not used a Tesla super charger in a year as I normally charge at home or hotel free chargers. 6 months ago I had to get a new iPhone after old one died. Today when I used a super charger it let me but said the payment failed. I knew my credit cards were not over limit so went into Tesla App and Wallet and find that Apple (Tesla?) had made Apple Pay the default instead of my credit cards that were correctly listed in the wallet. I have never used nor setup Apple Pay, no wonder it failed. I set the default back to my credit card and ok now.