Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before I place my order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to be ordering a model s in the near future and I'm on the fence about a few features

Set on

Red multi-coat
Panoramic roof
Tan leather
19" inch tires
Super charger enabled

Not sure

60kw or 80 kw ( technically the 60 will never run out between super charger locations).
Tech package ( is there anything really that amazing that I will be missing without it).

Several other folks have made some compelling points about both range, and the "cool factor" of the tech pkg. I agree on both, and here are a few other considerations:

Tech Pkg:

• NAV- While others may dismiss the nav as more fore resale value, I think it's very well nicley integrated and useful. Having center console maps, searching, directions etc... are features i use all the time... especially as you have good indication of range to a destination along with a countdown while you drive... something an electric must have IMO. It also includes dynamically updated supercharger locations.
  • LIGHTS - Cornering lights, LED running lights, lighted door handles, interior LED lighting, etc.. lets face it, this thing is part spaceship, and the lighting really sets it off (I'd add the fog lights for the same reason.. in addition to being useful, they look cool. They should never have been removed from the tech pkg, IMO)
  • KEYLESS ENTRY- Are you really going to not have this on your all-electric wonder? I use it for the frunk all the time, as it's the only method of opening other than form inside the car
  • GPS ENABLED HOMELINK- I really don' wnat my garage door openers clipped to my visor in my Model S. You won't either.

Panoramic Roof:

• HEADROOM- You don't have enough of it in the rear seats without the Pano roof. It's also gorgeous and ginormous. Spectacular for nice weather.

Battery Pack:

• RANGE- As others have pointed out, the range is nice. It's also a margin for colder weather, headwinds, elevation change, unexpected trips/detours, etc...
  • SUPERCHARGING- Here's the first third of the additional value equation: supercharging is included. That's $2000 of the cost right there. You will really need supercharging with a 60 anyway, the 85 includes it along with the extra range
  • WARRANTY- The second third of the additional value equation, the 85 comes with an unlimited mileage guarantee. The battery pack is the single most expensive item in the car. If you think you might exceed 125K miles on this car within it's finance period (as I will), this covers you.
  • RESALE- The final third: I expect the 85 will allow you to recoup a good amount of it's additional $8K cost when you sell it.

Other Items:
  • HPWC- Worth it in my opinion for permanent install option, always allowing me to have the mobile cable in the car
  • AIR SUSPENSION- Useful in some cases for obstacles/steep driveways. Not a must have though
  • PARCEL SHELF- Inexpensive, and although I doubt' I'll ever use it as a shelf, it's primary cover is to keep items stored in the "trunk" from being visible thru the rear window glass

I originally wasn't gonna get Leather or Pan roof. My wife talked me in to them, and I'm glad I did. Of all to give up, it would probably be leather.

Last edited:
Ok so here is what I have decided I narrowed it down to these 2 options

60kw
Red multi coat
Panoramic
Super charger
Tech package

85kw
Red multi coat
Panoramic
Super charger
Tech package

Keep in mind that for work I drive about 60 miles on a daily basis which means I have 0 mileage anxiety on a regular basis and my road trips include from detroit to chicago (current super charger routes available), detroit to Tennessee( super charger route available end of 2014), and detroit to New York ( super charger available end of 2015). So just looking at my daily driving and vacation spots I'm almost positive 60kw will be enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and 1 more thing I did not see an option for heated seats, are they standard?

Keep in mind that for work I drive about 60 miles on a daily basis which means I have 0 mileage anxiety on a regular basis and my road trips include from detroit to chicago (current super charger routes available), detroit to Tennessee( super charger route available end of 2014), and detroit to New York ( super charger available end of 2015). So just looking at my daily driving and vacation spots I'm almost positive 60kw will be enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and 1 more thing I did not see an option for heated seats, are they standard?

Congrats on making your final decision! You'll love your car. Two things I wanted to point out though. It seems that you are counting on using the superchargers. I've never used one yet, but from what I hear, there can be lines at some of them so they are not as convenient as they could be or should be. To me, the extra range would allow me more flexibility. Another thing that I took into considering when buying my car is how long I was going to keep it. It tend to keep my car for a long time. With that in mind, I wanted to get the bigger battery, knowing that in years 8, 9, or 10 when the battery will have degraded, I would still have decent range with my car. Just keep that in mind. Whatever you decide, you'll love your S!

Ok so here is what I have decided I narrowed it down to these 2 options

60kw
Red multi coat
Panoramic
Super charger
Tech package

85kw
Red multi coat
Panoramic
Super charger
Tech package

- - - Updated - - -

You probably know this but you don't need to list supercharger as an option for 85. It's standard on 85, which makes the price difference really $8000 not $10000.
Don't assume superchargers will be on the route you want when you want it. The map is a best guess now, not a promise. Also you'll likely be driving off the path between the superchargers and not just from one to the other. Detroit to Chicago or NY gets cold in the winter-- you'll want more range for winter long distance driving. Trust what everyone is saying about that.

you make a really good point both of you do and yes i added super charger even tho it is already in there just for the comparison i guess, i have at least narrowed it down to those 2 and will hopefully make my final decision soon.

You not only get supercharging ($2000) included with the 85, but also the Michelin low rolling resistance tire upgrade ($1000), so the extra range only costs $7000 net.

The 85 not only has more range, but it can supercharge at a faster "miles range per hour." The 85 also will not be stressed as much as a 60 for the same driving pattern so it could last longer, and be more useful 5-10 years from now (with greater resale value).

Good luck with your decision, and enjoy your car.

GSP

In the same boat. Plan on getting a Tesla near the end of 2014. Most expensive car to date is $35K. I did my priority list and it went:

Must have

85K Battery
Tech Package

Must have for wife

Red Multi Color
Pano Roof
Grey Leather
Obachi Wood Gloss
Parking Sensors
Fog lights

On the fence:

Air Suspension

Decided if were going to blow the budget we should really blow it and have a car we will love for many years.

In the same boat. Plan on getting a Tesla near the end of 2014. Most expensive car to date is $35K. I did my priority list and it went:

Must have

85K Battery
Tech Package

Must have for wife

Red Multi Color
Pano Roof
Grey Leather
Obachi Wood Gloss
Parking Sensors
Fog lights

On the fence:

Air Suspension

Decided if were going to blow the budget we should really blow it and have a car we will love for many years.

Since I am not seeing any 60 owners jumping in, allow me. I am a 60 owner. When I was buying, I tried hard to justify 85. Even now occasionally, I do try, but still cannot come up with a good reasoning. :smile:

See if you can relate to my rationale and glean something out of it.

1. Daily mileage angle: With my daily driving pattern (60 mile commute; 100 mile commute+evening dinner) I just couldn't justify 85.
2. Trip Mileage angle: My roadtrips are usually either <160miles or > 250miles so unless I have 100Kwh model I have to supercharge anyways.
3. Battery Life1: With 100 mile typical usage, I can run my battery cycle in midrange sweet spot ~80% to ~30%.
4. Battery Life2: With battery life #s around 1000-2000 cycles for 90% I am looking at 200Kmiles-400Kmiles which plenty for me at 8 years. (I am basing my numbers of Panasonic Battery life study someone had posted on the forum)
5. Resale premium (personal opinion): After 8 years/125kmiles, my car life cycle, I just don't see the resale premium of 8K. Any less premium is a loss for me.

So in any which way I slice it, I just cannot say I need 85 KWh model.
Do I "want" one? Now that has totally different set of arguments! :smile:

You have to analyze your needs, for me the 60 is plenty and if you do go on a trip you will have the superchargers to get you where you need to go. I charge at home and can do that everyday if I want, and you know at some point down the road as battery technology improves and cost come down you will be able to replace your battery with the latest and greatest for a reasonable cost. If I purchased an 85 and a 110 comes along I would probably want the 110, so as long as the 60 works for me I have no reason to have purchased the 85.

Well said. Can't justify getting a 85 since both the wife and I will be retired and 95% of the time the longest drive round trip from home would be 65 miles. Guess I have range worry even before buying a Tesla. Or I'm greedy!

Well said. Can't justify getting a 85 since both the wife and I will be retired and 95% of the time the longest drive round trip from home would be 65 miles. Guess I have range worry even before buying a Tesla. Or I'm greedy!

aahaa... that explains it a bit more. This is a commute car for me. At least when I was buying this car, getting carpool lane stickers was an USP. (No hate mail please!) Thus there is a lot more right brain involved than left brain. If this is a fun car for you then go for what makes you happy. Actually if this were a fun car for me the I would go for P85 than 85. Handling wise and road behavior wise 60 and 85 are very very similar. Actually back of the envelope math tells me that 60 should be faster than 85 in 0-60. :wink: P is in a different league altogether.

Another way to think about it:

Depending on how long you keep your car, you'll get much of the money back for the 85 in resale.

As you can see by the forum an 85KWH battery the top feature for most. Battery size is probably the one feature that will make the car difficult/easy to sell.

Another way to think about it:

Depending on how long you keep your car, you'll get much of the money back for the 85 in resale.

As you can see by the forum an 85KWH battery the top feature for most. Battery size is probably the one feature that will make the car difficult/easy to sell.

Better resale value?! Hmm... let me put another argument for you.

Currently it looks like Tesla sells 9 85's for every 60 sold. Most buyers don't need the range but Tesla is a new car company, all electric sedan a not fully proven concept. There is battery life-charge degradation anxiety also range anxiety. However i believe in Tesla design reliability and robustness. Full faith in Mr. Musk. More I read about battery studies and roadster experiences better I feel. Tesla is going to come through this just fine. Several years down the line, it will be a proven concept and design with minimal battery loss. With more faith, this irrational excuberence regarding battery will die down and people will buy based on their range needs.

Thus as years go by, much higher % of 60's will be sold. Say one 60 sold for every 85. Since it is all about supply and demand and since demand for 60 in used market will be higher with low supply from 12-13 and 14, the price difference between 60 and 85 will be very small. Thus it makes better sense to buy 60 rather than 85 and save 8K.

Actually let me extrapolate a bit more. Used car buyers will realize 85's have more expensive battery to replace. Used car market is sensitive to repair cost. Keeping that in mind, it just could happen that, to compensate for higher replacement costs, 60 will have a higher resale value than a 85!! :biggrin:

It could get even better. I am thinking of putting that saved $8K in TSLA (waiting for market to correct a bit more). Once Tesla will be selling like hot cakes with bright future, I can easily get 40K or so return on it. And I can go and buy Gen III with that money.

So in the end, I have a car better resale value with Gen III tagged along for free!

There is not a bad configuration for a Tesla. I would go with the 85 (I can' t prove that the 85 or 60 will give you better resale value as no one has had them for several years and established a firm resale price for any configuration). It is my opinion that the 85 will hold up better for resale. Get the tech package. Save your money by getting textile and solid roof.
There are many people here who love their 60s and rightfully so. However, I have never heard of someone who has an 85 say they wish they got a 60 and there are people who have a 60 that wish they had gotten an 85. If you have budget constraints the only thing I personally would not give up would be the 85.

Better resale value?! Hmm... let me put another argument for you.

Currently it looks like Tesla sells 9 85's for every 60 sold. Most buyers don't need the range but Tesla is a new car company, all electric sedan a not fully proven concept. There is battery life-charge degradation anxiety also range anxiety. However i believe in Tesla design reliability and robustness. Full faith in Mr. Musk. More I read about battery studies and roadster experiences better I feel. Tesla is going to come through this just fine. Several years down the line, it will be a proven concept and design with minimal battery loss. With more faith, this irrational excuberence regarding battery will die down and people will buy based on their range needs.

Thus as years go by, much higher % of 60's will be sold. Say one 60 sold for every 85. Since it is all about supply and demand and since demand for 60 in used market will be higher with low supply from 12-13 and 14, the price difference between 60 and 85 will be very small. Thus it makes better sense to buy 60 rather than 85 and save 8K.

Actually let me extrapolate a bit more. Used car buyers will realize 85's have more expensive battery to replace. Used car market is sensitive to repair cost. Keeping that in mind, it just could happen that, to compensate for higher replacement costs, 60 will have a higher resale value than a 85!! :biggrin:

It could get even better. I am thinking of putting that saved $8K in TSLA (waiting for market to correct a bit more). Once Tesla will be selling like hot cakes with bright future, I can easily get 40K or so return on it. And I can go and buy Gen III with that money.

So in the end, I have a car better resale value with Gen III tagged along for free!
Dreams are such wonderful occurrences!