Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC 2015 Clean Energy Vehicle Incentive and a fuelling/charging infrastructure Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting! In order to skip PST, Looks like it has to be a grandparent, parent, or child: http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/bulletins/pst_308.pdf

So cousin, aunt/uncle, and such are exempt.

The section you rely on only applies if a relative "gifts" you a vehicle. That's very different from having a relative buy you a vehicle in Alberta and then relying on this section to avoid paying taxes. That's tax evasion and it's a criminal offence. While you can use tax rules to legally reduce taxes owing, you can't use the rules to avoid paying taxes unless it is a bona fide transaction. It is not bone fide to have an Alberta relative buy you the vehicle in order to avoid paying the PST.

Buy a vehicle with an Alberta address and save the 10% BC PST and you save up to $20K on a P100D. My DS in Vancouver said BC residents have used family members in AB to purchase Teslas and saving the PST...better than any scrap it or $5K incentive we use to receive.

I hope someone reading this from Canada Revenue Agency looks into all Tesla Alberta transfers that relied on this section to claim the exemption and then follows the money for the purchase of the vehicle, and presses criminal charges if there was tax evasion.

No one likes paying tax, and the luxury tax makes the PST tough to swallow, but we are all bound by the law. I paid $10,000 PST and $5,000 GST on my vehicle, and I'm sure others here from BC paid similar amounts depending on the price of their vehicles. No one should be allowed to avoid paying taxes based on fraudulent scheming.

Last edited: