Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area TMC forum meet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it's disappointing that Martin can't make it, but I think we should still meet. People are just a little slow to respond. I suppose I should have said post here too, just didn't want to give my phone number out publicly.
About 5 have responded to me so far and I think that's enough to go ahead. Including TEG and me that's already 7. Originally I thought there should be a minimum of 4. At the Menlo Park opening, I met 3 other forum members and that already provided a couple hours of interesting conversation. Actually, I'd prefer we stay under 15.

So I think we should go ahead and still meet at Stanford. Get to know each other a bit, put names to faces as it were, chat for a while. Then head over to the store to look at cars for a bit. Probably a good idea to stagger our arrival so we don't look like a mob. Then afterwards those interested can go somewhere for lunch. Max's Opera cafe is a good place for a group.

I'm still amazed that Technology isn't leveraged by TM, or in this case TMC.

Just setup a Kyte.tv account, upload some cellphone videos

[ preferably high quality, like the native H.264 codec the Samsung Ace does. I got one in late June, possibly to help Martin (San Martin Fair talk) in his media-campaign. I used this cellphone throughout China & SIGGRAPH 2008

Kyte Mobile
Kyte Mobile ]

You can have people do LIVE commentary on it, even cellphone web surfers!! Kyte.tv even supports LIVE video streaming (Nokia cellphones, like N93 & N95). Qik.com also, you might remember Robert Scoble's Nokia N95 LIVE video-streaming of his Roadster drive w/Elon Musk's.

Make sure someone brings a HD video-camera, & get some footage. Then, throw it up any of the various video-sharing sites. Blip.tv, Mogulus.com, Kyte.tv, Fragmob.com (does pictures & video). I use Blip.tv for my iTunes video-podcast medium:

Tesla Roadster
Tesla Roadster

Use the CMS/Content Management System (comment section) to let virtual-attendees to participate in your "physical" meeting. Martin won't physically be in attendance, but he can certainly participate virtually over his iPhone. Yes, Kyte.tv plays on my 3G iPhone!! (I don't know how they pulled that off, with all the Flash uncompatibility).

PIC_1298 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I've been involved with "physical meetings", it's hard for everyone's schedules to come together. Virtual meetings over the Web (or better yet, cellphone..mobile-media-solutions are the HOTTEST thing in Technology) is the way to go.

Last edited:
My flash-memory digital camera can record HD videos, but I switched back to 640x480 because it takes soooo long to upload anything decent with my measly uploads speeds.

I plan to stick with flickr & youtube for now.

My flash-memory digital camera can record HD videos, but I switched back to 640x480 because it takes soooo long to upload anything decent with my measly uploads speeds.

I plan to stick with flickr & youtube for now.

I pulled this off with my measly Sony P150 P&S camera (7M pixel, MPEG video capability):

Tesla Roadster
teslaroadster
Kyte Mobile

I totally did this by accident, I just happened to come across Tesla Motors LA store one day.

There are some pretty nice compact HD video cameras (single chip), I have a Sony HC3 (circa 2005). There are some versions out now that use Flash memory, like the new Canons..~$1000. Got rave reviews. You can import them directly to your favorite video editor (Sony Vegas HD on the PC platform is getting talked about as being better than the highly thought of Apple Final Cut Pro), so the whole process of capture/edit/export is simplified.

There's an interesting video sharing solution I've been using..timely video uploads. Not streaming video. Just shoot a video from your cellphone (or in your case digital camera), & upload it via cellphone to your favorite video-sharing site. Youtube, Blip.tv, Flickr, etc. I personally use Blip.tv. Make sure you setup your account for "mobile upload" (they will give you a special email, where you send your videos to). They even have a "cross posting" feature, where they will ALSO cross-post your videos to your Blogger (or Wordpress blog).

So, shoot the video on your digital camera. Remove SD flash card from digital camera, & stick it in a Treo 650 (for example). I have the latter, which takes external SD cards. Use Versamail to send a video-email (to above Blip.tv email), & boom..within several minutes (depending on size of video), your TMC video will appear on Blip.tv (& on Blogger/Wordpress blog, if you engage the cross-posting feature). Then, people all over the world (incl Martin, on his iPhone) can post comments. This is the state-of-the-art method, for virtualizing the physical TMC meeting. You should give it a try.

Just for kicks, I should head out to Tesla LA store & do the same. I.e., the whole concept of a TMC meeting, can be virtualized to ANYONE near a TM store. This is obviously, something TM should try to engage in (virtual customer blogging, as a Marketing/PR tool). I have 3 years of experience doing it. Mobile Media Solutions (PDAs, PDA smartphones, cellphone networks, satellite networks, WiFi networks) is the latest/greatest medium out there. This is the domain of iPod & iPhone, a really HOT market (there is a billboard above the Tesla LA Store). A hot product like the Tesla Roadster, certainly deserves a corresponding HOT media solution.

Elon Musk's wife (on her cool blog) tells about how the British group (behind the iPod silhouette advertisements) visited Tesla LA store, & had dinner with them. Do I have to go through her, to get TM to get going on this media solution for PR/Marketing? Holy crap, I just realized something..TM doesn't even have an iTunes video-podcast for their company. WTF?? There is one for the Roadster (mine), whose purpose is illustrate Martin/Marc's role as co-founder of TM.

Last edited:
Well, we did get together and met over at the store.
2791494488_4f4a1f3624_o.jpg

Jeremy gave a nice mini tour of the store and some Q&A time to answer a lot of little questions we had.

Being a busy weekend, all the VPs were out on test drives. The store had quite a few Founder series cars getting ready for owner pick up. The bulk of them were Signature Green right now.

We did spot Laurent for a moment as he went out on his pre-arranged test drive.

Last edited:
One tidbit (probably only of interest to me and my wife): Seats.

They are hoping to offer multiple different sizes of seats. Something like: choose "small" "medium" or "large" (with differing bolsters and padding) which the customer can try out ahead of time and they will install that upon delivery.

However: They will not be delivering an adjustable seat, or a seat that sits any higher than the current one. Any derivation of the seat height would require more crash testing. This is something they are understandably very reluctant to do.

This effectively means that I will not be able to buy a Roadster than both my wife and I can drive. This is disappointing, and possibly a deal breaker for us.