Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery not charging properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So before my Model 3 charged to what ever limit I set it to. I dropped the car off at a paint shop to get delivery issues fixed, and they had it for a week and a half. Since the day I picked up my car my battery has been acting up with charging.

Before when I set the limit to 90% for example, it would charge to 449/450km which is correct. Now, once it’s finished charging on the notification it would say the correct battery charge but when I get in the car it would be much lower like 430. This happens for any limit I set the car to and I’ve been charging daily for the past week I’ve had the car. I don’t know what’s going on.

It tends to be difficult to set the limit to exactly 90% using the car's screen or the app. It doesn't seem to easily "snap" to those percentages. You might try doing a 100% charge once and see what happens (preferably just before a longer drive).

During one of the recent updated Tesla did change the calculations a little. I remember reading about it. It’s been my experience too. It use to charge to 279 or something like that and now it charges to 274 at the same % setting I have set.

I would do a reset then open and close all doors and trunks to make sure they are fully closed. Also check if cabin overheat protection is on.

Yeah it’s the exact same settings as before I dropped the car off except for the software version. It’s also cooler now than it was almost 2 weeks ago.

During one of the recent updated Tesla did change the calculations a little. I remember reading about it. It’s been my experience too. It use to charge to 279 or something like that and now it charges to 274 at the same % setting I have set.

Yeah that’s what’s happening to me. What gives? I think it may be the update. 90% before update was 450km, now it’s 435km. But the app gives me a notificiation once charging is complete and it says 450km on it only for me to enter the cat 2-3 hours later and it saud 435.

Are you setting the limit by the phone app or in the car ?
Is there a difference ?

Setting it through the car