Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery health tracking SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live in Central Florida, so that may have helped. 16 miles each way to/from work with very few stop lights and good roads. Yes, had 265 miles at 100% when new.
The generally warm to hot climate will make capacity loss worse. Anyway, in terms of achievable distance, you go off of what the miles at 100% were when you sold it.

All else being equal, if it had (say) 220 miles at 100%, that would mean you could go about 17% shorter distance. Again, all else being equal. Roughly.

I'm not sure how you compared the 236 and 224 mile numbers - the conditions would have to be the same for them to be comparable.

Reactions: AAKEE
I know my degradation was possibly an outlier, but my figures were based on actual miles driven, not anything else. My initial figures were from Feb 2013, and the final figures from March 2024, so roughly the same time of the year. Here in Florida we do not have the cold like other areas, and I have always been pretty easy on a car, but not a slow poke!

Our S was my daily driver for 11 years, and I drove it like anything else and did not baby it. My prior car was a BMW 1M, and have worked as a BMW Safety Driving instructor. And, I have always kept detailed logs on our cars.

The thing I found that negatively the range the most was rain. I always kept my tires at 45psi, as recommended.

Again, my battery figures were from actual miles driven, not estimates or projections. I guess we were just fortunate. If I can achieve anything close to this with thee Y, I'll be happy!

I know my degradation was possibly an outlier, but my figures were based on actual miles driven, not anything else. My initial figures were from Feb 2013, and the final figures from March 2024, so roughly the same time of the year. Here in Florida we do not have the cold like other areas, and I have always been pretty easy on a car, but not a slow poke!

Our S was my daily driver for 11 years, and I drove it like anything else and did not baby it. My prior car was a BMW 1M, and have worked as a BMW Safety Driving instructor. And, I have always kept detailed logs on our cars.

The thing I found that negatively the range the most was rain. I always kept my tires at 45psi, as recommended.

Again, my battery figures were from actual miles driven, not estimates or projections. I guess we were just fortunate. If I can achieve anything close to this with thee Y, I'll be happy!

The new car/battery will hold up fine.
Nowadays, 80% is the maximim recommended daily charging level.

The absolute largest part of the degradation comes from calendar aging, thats the effect of time.

[Time x SOC x Temperature] set the pace.

As [Time] is hard to stop, and the [Temperature] often is hard to change much, the SOC is where we can achieve a difference.

I think, on average your S drove 30 miles each day or so?

I use 55% as the daily SOC, as it is enough on a daily basis and minimise the degradation (calendar aging).
If the SOCCis held most of the time at or below 55%, the degradation cut in half.

50,000 miles, I charge my battery to 80% or 90% and 100% as I want to. I'll leave it at 100% for hours, even a day.
Over 5 years and still getting about 94% of initial range.

I do tend to charge to 100% a few times a year, mostly as I take trips.

Tesla designed the battery to be used and abused. They didn't design it to only charge to 50%.

And for me, 30% means that I need to find another stop further away. At 30%, you will barely see the advantage of a 250kW V3 charger, maybe just a minute or two before the rate drops below 150kW.
11/2022 2023 MYP 13K miles
same battery charging pattern as above, but for trips, never to 100%, I do 95%,
Every 3-6 months rebalance to 100%
MYP battery degrade is inline with all published stats 4%
Read and you will understand NCA
Initial drop and then very slow over the years
Typically 0.5-1% per year

Way better than an iPhone
My iPhone battery health is 85% after 15 months
Crazy a degrade of 1% per month!
Come-on Apple, acq Rivian to help you with battery management

11/2022 2023 MYP 13K miles
same battery charging pattern as above, but for trips, never to 100%, I do 95%,
MYP battery degrade is inline with all published stats 4%
Read and you will understand NCA
Initial drop and then very slow over the years
Typically 0.5-1% per year

Way better than an iPhone
My iPhone battery health is 85% after 15 months
Crazy a degrade of 1% per month!
Come-on Apple, acq Rivian to help you with battery management
Would you mind posting a picture of the energy graph (normal range selected down right) with the SOC visible in the same picture?

Like this:
IMG_2330.jpeg

What are you “rebalancing”?

The battery balances itself at high enough SOC.

I used 55% on my M3P with the same Panna 82.1kWh batt. It always held 4mV after a chsrge to 55%.

Theres no need to charge to 100% for “rebalancing”.
Also, theres no danger doing 100% when needed for a longer drive.
I had > 30 100% charges with my M3P during the 2.5 yrs I had it. Still I had very low degradation!

Until now ~ 10 100% charges on my MSP, 1 year from manufacturing and 18K km.
Still full range and if i had used Tessie or so, 0% degradation.

The new car/battery will hold up fine.
Nowadays, 80% is the maximim recommended daily charging level.

The absolute largest part of the degradation comes from calendar aging, thats the effect of time.

[Time x SOC x Temperature] set the pace.

As [Time] is hard to stop, and the [Temperature] often is hard to change much, the SOC is where we can achieve a difference.

I think, on average your S drove 30 miles each day or so?

I use 55% as the daily SOC, as it is enough on a daily basis and minimise the degradation (calendar aging).
If the SOCCis held most of the time at or below 55%, the degradation cut in half.
Meaning held at 55% on average, right? Most work days I charge to 70 or 80% starting at 5am and drive it to work. I arrive at work around 55%, and when I get home at 6:30pm, I’m around 38% where it generally sits until 5am. Weekends sometimes I just charge to 55%.

There are some weekdays I charge to 70% but don’t end up going anywhere, and it sits like that until the next morning. I try not to go overboard on this stuff, but I also try to minimize the state of charge.

Meaning held at 55% on average, right?
Nope, charge to 55% (as 50% is the lowest setting and the calendar aging is about the same). Like this:
IMG_8181.jpeg

Most work days I charge to 70 or 80% starting at 5am and drive it to work. I arrive at work around 55%, and when I get home at 6:30pm, I’m around 38% where it generally sits until 5am. Weekends sometimes I just charge to 55%.
Its a really good approach to charge late like you do in the morning 👍
Also, 55% at weekends = good.

When you do it like that, the higher charging level does more or less ”no harm as the time at >55% is short.
Really good!
There are some weekdays I charge to 70% but don’t end up going anywhere, and it sits like that until the next morning. I try not to go overboard on this stuff, but I also try to minimize the state of charge.
Good!

Its not worth getting upset if having higher SOC sometimes. So, in all a good approach!

Reactions: dansev
Nope, charge to 55% (as 50% is the lowest setting and the calendar aging is about the same). Like this:
View attachment 1033911

Its a really good approach to charge late like you do in the morning 👍
Also, 55% at weekends = good.

When you do it like that, the higher charging level does more or less ”no harm as the time at >55% is short.
Really good!

Good!

Its not worth getting upset if having higher SOC sometimes. So, in all a good approach!
Question, if I got home from trip with a low state of charge (let's say 10%) any harm
It letting it sit that low over night until the next day when I can charge at work for free? Should I charge to above 20 / 25% first then let it sit? Or just charge it to 50%? I've read different thoughts on allowing the car to stay below 20% long. Does leaving a car below 20% stress the battery?

Question, if I got home from trip with a low state of charge (let's say 10%) any harm
It letting it sit that low over night until the next day when I can charge at work for free? Should I charge to above 20 / 25% first then let it sit? Or just charge it to 50%? I've read different thoughts on allowing the car to stay below 20% long. Does leaving a car below 20% stress the battery?
No it doesn't stress the battery to leave it below 20%. It's better for it to be nice and relaxed and empty.

If you know you won't need the charge, just charge in time for the next use (just enough to get you to work where you can charge for free or whatever).

Lowest time-averaged SOC, FTW.