Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery connections for aftermarket amplifiers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When making the connection to the battery for a dedicated power line for some aftermarket amplifiers in my P100D I noticed some sort of connection coming off the positive terminal that appeared kind of like a heat sink in appearance (don't think that is what it was) that was flat to the batter and then had a 90 degree turn over the edge and had a cable connection. This as a nice bolted connection directly on top where I made my amp cable connection. Any idea what that is for and is there a problem with making my amp connection at that point? I have not connected any load to it, but though I would ask as after the face it kind of bugged me what that was for and if there was any internal fusing or otherwise...

It's for measuring the current into and out of the battery. All modern computerized cars have that. Make your connection at the indicated battery jump point, not directly to the battery post. If you go directly to the battery post the computer can lose the ability to accurately know the SOC of the 12 volt battery. Worst case you end up with a dead 12 volt battery.

Reactions: BigCity
Perfect, exactly what I needed to know, thank you! Before I create a new thread, you by chance know what the fuse layout is for the fuse box on the passenger foot well area on the interior of the car?

It's for measuring the current into and out of the battery. All modern computerized cars have that. Make your connection at the indicated battery jump point, not directly to the battery post. If you go directly to the battery post the computer can lose the ability to accurately know the SOC of the 12 volt battery. Worst case you end up with a dead 12 volt battery.