Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basic destination charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey chaps, noob question here. Got a Model 3 coming, and have booked a hotel stay next month that has a charging point in the car park, which is “32Amp Type 2 Wallpod”. In the photo there doesn’t seem to be a cable visible. So, question: if there’s no cable, will my new car come with the right one? And if there is a cable, will it fit the car or do I need an adapter?

Thanks!

I would like to ask a question here too:
Do we get appropriate adapters to connect to superchargers? I recall someone having a problem and couldn’t connect.

Tesla Superchargers are being progressively updated to have an additional CCS connector cable, as used by the M3.

AFAIK, all Supercharger sites have at least one that has been converted, so when you get there, look for the ones with double cables on them. (And hope a MS or MX hasn't blocked you!)

Meanwhile, your Tesla's navigation screen will only direct you to M3 compatible chargers.

So an Sor X driver will see "4 of 5 chargers available", whereas a 3 driver could see "1 of 2 chargers available"

S

Tesla Superchargers are being progressively updated to have an additional CCS connector cable, as used by the M3.

AFAIK, all Supercharger sites have at least one that has been converted, so when you get there, look for the ones with double cables on them. (And hope a MS or MX hasn't blocked you!)

Meanwhile, your Tesla's navigation screen will only direct you to M3 compatible chargers.

So an Sor X driver will see "4 of 5 chargers available", whereas a 3 driver could see "1 of 2 chargers available"

S
I guess its a short term issue until all the stalls are converted so probably not worth it but if an S or X driver plugs in to a unit with CCS and there are non CCS available would not be that hard for Tesla to send them a message to their screen suggesting they change to another bay if there are free ones. I mean you could go further and refuse to charge etc but that might be a bit OTT in case there was a problem with the other stall or something.
I wonder how long before the number of M3s outnumber S and X combined in the UK? I assume not long.

all Supercharger sites have at least one that has been converted

Pedantic point, but they have converted a minimum of "a pair of stalls", so there will be at least 2 stalls at each site. However, they are an A/B so, as per all other Supercharger stalls [at present ...] if a car is plugged into one of the pair then the other paired-stall will be on reduced power until the first car leaves, or charges to high SOC such that it tapers [reduced charging rate].

So if you stop at a Supercharger site it is best to pick a stall where no-one is already plugged into the paired-stall. Sometimes the A/B are not obviously "next to each other". I've got caught out at Grantham where there is an A/B pair either side of a wide walkway ... and I wrongly assumed I should use that. Took me a while of seeing low rate of charge and scratching my head before I figured it out Doh!