Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backed into pole no warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Backed into a wooden electric poll yesterday no warning from the car at all just the crunching sound of hitting the pole. Only 2 months we have had the car very disappointed it will be in shop so soon. I didn't even think it was possible to back into anything with all the cameras and sensors. It was very hard to see the pole because it was a stone building behind I'm not sure if the car couldn't see it either. Not sure there is something faulty on the car or not. Going to see if I can find it on the footage it hit right near the charging port

Backed into a wooden electric poll yesterday no warning from the car at all just the crunching sound of hitting the pole. Only 2 months we have had the car very disappointed it will be in shop so soon. I didn't even think it was possible to back into anything with all the cameras and sensors. It was very hard to see the pole because it was a stone building behind I'm not sure if the car couldn't see it either. Not sure there is something faulty on the car or not. Going to see if I can find it on the footage it hit right near the charging port
You are the driver and are responsible for knowing your surroundings.

I can’t believe how many people think backup sensors and autopilot mean they can just sit behind the wheel and not have to do anything.

Technically, there's nothing wrong with your car.

Just like there's nothing wrong with a baby who can't walk and talk: It’s still at an infancy stage to gain more competency just yet.

Same with Tesla anti-collision technology: Just because some people praise how great it is and it should cost $100,000 or $150,000 that doesn't change that Tesla collision avoidance is still at its very infacy stage.

Sorry for finding it out the hard way.

Reactions: AMPd
Every few months we get a thread similar to this one, here, where it appears the thread starter is surprised the car did not do more to protect them from damaging the car themselves. This is similar, with the OP in this thread saying:

I didn't even think it was possible to back into anything with all the cameras and sensors.

None of us were there, so we do not know what the OP heard or didnt hear other than them saying the car didnt warn them, but what we do know is, the car will not prevent a driver from doing something.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you said there was a stone building behind the post. If so, I think the much greater mass of the stone building "fooled" the car into ignoring the post. I had a similar experience with the front of my car when it was new. I was pulling into a spot directly in front of a building. There were concrete slabs at the end of the parking spaces to prevent cars from hitting the building. My M3 was showing 18 inches of space left when the front bumper rode up over the concrete slab, badly scraping the bottom of the bumper. And sure enough, I was still about 18 inches from the building.

• Informative
Reactions: mangrove79
Keep in mind the sensors are spaced apart not the full length of the bumper. It's always possible that it was between the sensors or did not so much decreasing range. I would also consider having the ultrasonic sensors on the vehicle checked out. It's always possible there's a fault in the system.

I don't know how the rear sensors differ from the front sensors, but in my garage, there's a water heater with a metal post in front of it, to prevent a car from hitting the heater. The pole is only about 2" in diameter, but when my wife's Model 3 pulls forward into that spot, the proximity warning shows the distance to the pole, not the water heater, which I was impressed by. Maybe the rear sensors wouldn't handle that as well.

• Informative
Reactions: mangrove79
I look forward to the day the car takes more drastic action to prevent collisions. I have a $4500 repair to look forward to because wife hit a post in a parking lot. Yes, she ignored the beeps. She's used to ognoring them when backing into the garage. Not the car's fault. I understand the rationale for the car not taking control, but the consequences of it putting on the brakes at 1 mph with no other cars around were unlikely to have been worse than what happened.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you said there was a stone building behind the post. If so, I think the much greater mass of the stone building "fooled" the car into ignoring the post. I had a similar experience with the front of my car when it was new. I was pulling into a spot directly in front of a building. There were concrete slabs at the end of the parking spaces to prevent cars from hitting the building. My M3 was showing 18 inches of space left when the front bumper rode up over the concrete slab, badly scraping the bottom of the bumper. And sure enough, I was still about 18 inches from the building.
These are the locations of the park assist sensors from the manual. It should be fairly obvious they are not positioned to detect objects that are too low on the ground (especially as you move over them), so the wheel stops you describe would not be detected as you pull forward.
GUID-C4E89F56-EABB-47C3-97B8-C90D985BA3B2-online-en-US.png

Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

There is in fact an explicit warning against the situation you describe and even the OP's (a pole):
"The parking sensors may not function correctly in these situations:
The object is located below approximately 20 cm (such as a curb or low barrier).
CAUTION
Shorter objects that are detected (such as curbs or low barriers) can move into the blind spot of the sensors. Model 3 cannot alert you about an object while it is in the blind spot of the sensors.
The object is thin (such as a sign post)."

There are cars with automatic braking in reverse, but be careful what you wish for.

Polestar 2 has it, always defaults to On when starting the car, and the forums have tons of reports of incorrect braking in reverse that sound really frustrating. Some folks can't even reverse out of their driveway without it triggering. Steep incline transitions seem to be a major trigger (but not the only trigger).

(I know this because I almost bought a Polestar 2 Performance, so I was reading the forums for a while. Polestar does regular OTA updates much like Tesla, so it's possible they've improved this, I haven't checked in a while.)

There are cars with automatic braking in reverse, but be careful what you wish for.

Polestar 2 has it, always defaults to On when starting the car, and the forums have tons of reports of incorrect braking in reverse that sound really frustrating. Some folks can't even reverse out of their driveway without it triggering. Steep incline transitions seem to be a major trigger (but not the only trigger).

(I know this because I almost bought a Polestar 2 Performance, so I was reading the forums for a while. Polestar does regular OTA updates much like Tesla, so it's possible they've improved this, I haven't checked in a while.)
My Hyundai has it and it’s not bad at all. I find it comes in handy when backing out of deep parking spots at a shopping mall especially when there are bigger vehicles on each side of you and it’s hard to see. It has saved me a few times by hitting the brakes.

Reactions: Scott in FC