Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back-up sound generation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it would be sufficient (for me) to have a sound on a switch. Most of the time I don't need either a slow motion or a backup sound. Occasionally in low visibility places, or for oblivious people, it would be a huge help, but I am aware of when those times are. A button that gives you 10-20 seconds of beeping would be ideal, I think.

The reverse beeping in a Prius (on the inside) is NOT intended as a pedestrian warning device, but rather as a warning to the driver that they are in reverse since the car doesn't have any creep. It can be shut off (in some models by a magic spell, in others by ODBII), but there is no way to get it only when you want it.

Whatever is done in the way of legislation, should of course apply to all cars. Any efforts to help, say blind people, should be done only after consulting actual blind people. Most that I know say they don't want any slow moving car noise.

Thank you kindly.

I don't think it should be necessary. I may be showing my age, but when I'm walking through a carpark I like to keep an eye on the cars around me in case they start backing up. I'm teaching my kids this, too. However if we do have to have a sound at least make it a fun one. Like a giant truck air horn or something that will scare the pants off of people. Sometimes people need help waking up in the morning. ;)

I don't think it should be necessary. I may be showing my age, but when I'm walking through a carpark I like to keep an eye on the cars around me in case they start backing up. I'm teaching my kids this, too. However if we do have to have a sound at least make it a fun one. Like a giant truck air horn or something that will scare the pants off of people. Sometimes people need help waking up in the morning. ;)

This idea was touched on briefly in another thread a while back, but it is fun to think about: Cowbell(s); Thus Sprake Zarathustra; Light Saber...what else?

If every car on the road emitted beep beep beep sounds like construction vehicles while backing out of parking spaces, I might would just commit suicide. I might could live with low speed pedestrian sounds, but dear God, anything but the high pitched beep beep beep sound.

Have you ever heard of using ultrasonic transducers to create a highly direction beam of audible sound? Since the car already has ultrasonic sensors might it be possible to transmit a directional sound at a person if there's a person detected...

Please read Jason's reply, #5. He's right on the money. My BMW 5 series is nearly silent at idle, about 700 rpm. When backing out of a parking spot, the rpm's are probably no more than 725 rpm, and the engine is still silent.

Totally agree. I have a 535. Just today, brought it in for an inspection, and the mechanic asked me to leave the engine running. Sure I said. As I exited the car, he turned to me and said - can you turn on the car? I said it is on. He looked puzzled, and then accepted my word.

Point is some ICE cars idle quietly. They roll at low speed quietly, regardless of direction. Not a new problem.

I think adding artificial sound to EVs is just sillyness.

I have a Nissan Leaf, the noise that it makes under 19mph drives me mad. Why have an EV if it has to make some crappy noise? I turn it off every time, as it is plain embarrassing. Can someone please confirm that any of the Tesla range currently has none of that annoying junk on it?

:)

Umm... Since the Model 3 is going to have the Autopilot safety features as standard (as opposed to full-auto), would the CAR sense the pedestrian and stop FOR you?

Why not? While I'm uncomfortable (can't explain it yet) with the car stopping for me it certainly is possible. However, with all the sensors in play by late 2017 the otherwise silent car could gently sound-off announcing itself when it senses pesky obstructions like pedestrians. Please no sound at any speed over 5 mph.

Maybe I'm moving fully into my Ed Asner stage of life, but I am concerned about running over people in parking lots. We have a 2006 Prius that generates a beep-beep-beep sound when backing up...except that it is only audible inside the car, not outside (go figure). We also have a MB B-class EV which is always in silent running mode (zero sound) when backing-up. The zero sound is very compelling, but seems a bit dangerous.

Do any of you share my paranoia, and if so what are the possibilities for types of sounds, eg; I think they could be pre- programmed, or app accessed like ringtones, or no messing around just NTSB approved. I do favor the beep- beep-beep sound as it is universally known for backing-up. When backing out of a tight parking space at a grocery store with all ages wandering and darting about, it seems only prudent to give some warning to them while I'm concentrating on exiting and focussed on the front as well as the rearview camera.

Any thoughts?
I like the back up beep of my Leaf only to alert the cats that move around the cars. Otherwise, I fully enjoy the silence that a BEV offers.

Ed Asner, eh? Lol

I was in the left lane of a two-lane freeway onramp on my motorcycle with earplugs, which curved left and split between regular and express lanes. There was an S-model in the right lane slightly behind me. Distracted drivers will sometimes swing over to get in the left express lane at the last minute before the fork, necessitating evasive maneuvers. It was eerie to realize that engine noise was such a big part of me keeping track of where that car was. When the Model S was in my blind spot, it might as well have been completely absent.

Anyway, my point is I think we'll see more than just parking lot issues come up as we see more and more silent runners on the roads. Perhaps that's why lane assist is becoming more and more standard in newer vehicles.

I was in the left lane of a two-lane freeway onramp on my motorcycle with earplugs

Seriously, earplugs?!! Model S still makes road noise at freeway speeds so it sounds like people like you might be part of the problem... ;)

That's equivalent to walking in a parking lot listening to an mp3 player while texting.

I'd never ride while wearing earplugs. (Also helps that my helmet has very good protection against wind noise.) I can easily hear tire noise.

Never had a problem backing up in a 100% silent hybrid, in any situation. And as others have pointed out, there are virtually silent (<40db) ICE cars at idle RPM speeds as well. This is another case of people creating problems in order to solve them.
Folks, back out slowly.

Reactions: JeffK