Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot using the in cabin microphone as input?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a hypothesis that wanted to check with others, that Autopilot uses the in cabin microphone as input. I've checked the manual and found no mention of it.

I've observed that whilst using Autosteer / Autopilot that the "Apply slight turning force to steering wheel" comes on more regularly when there is no talking in the cabin, as in there no other noise in the cabin but the music that's playing. If I'm driving with someone else in the car and we're talking or if I'm on the phone, then the "Apply slight turning force to steering wheel" message hardly ever comes on to check on me. If my passenger is asleep, then it comes on more frequently.

My conclusion (and I accept that it's a bit of a stretch but I've tested it on quite a few occasions and had no instances that don't follow my observation) is that the car must be using the microphone as check as to whether I'm still alert. If it's quiet in the cabin, then it wants you to apply force on the steering wheel at more regular intervals.

I'd be keen to hear if other people's experiences are similar to mine.

I noticed this. I drove ~500 km in a day back in May 2021, in a friends Model 3 (2020 SR+), then I drove the same route last weekend in mine (2022 RWD). Both times I was the only occupant for most of the drive. Both times I used Autopilot for most of it.

I found that I was getting nagged all the time in his, but not that often in mine.

Assuming it was (and it wasn't just my memory failing me) - I thought of a few options:

(a) A technical difference between the cars (either hardware, or software update between last year and this year - including using the mic/camera)
(b) Because I've been driving it more regularly, I'm subconsciously more aware of how often I should be putting pressure on the wheel, or:
(c) The vehicle bases the nag frequency on past driving history, and my friend's habits trained his car to nag more frequently.

Could there be a more prosaic, less conspiracy-ish explanation? When you talk you tend to move your arms and hands. Sure when driving you can't do it that much, and it's variable with the individual, but I'd bet there were still more almost-unconscious muscle movements that the wheel is picking up on.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't move my hands when I'm talking.

Your thoughtful response has forced me to confess that on one occasion I drove down to Bowral on my own with Appetite For Destruction on full and me singing along with Axel. Hardly any nagging. On the way back that day, much more subdued and no singing, plenty of nagging.

It's using the mic is hunch, but I'm a data point of 1. I'm keen to hear from others if they have a similar experience or whether yeah nah, I should consider a tin foil hat.