Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot unable to proceed! WTH?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was using Autopilot. It was a beautiful day. Stopped at a traffic light. When it turned green I had this message. It happened a few times. Anyone know what it means and why it happened?

775A6D2E-92D5-4AD4-82DF-BFC2290E8E4D.jpeg

Anyone know what it means and why it happened?

View attachment 693852
I've noticed that happening if Autosteer cannot figure out where to continue even if temporarily. For example if there was a lot of cross traffic or large trucks blocking the view of the destination lane, it'll show the message. You could probably force it to continue and steer by pressing the accelerator.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I've noticed that happening if Autosteer cannot figure out where to continue even if temporarily. For example if there was a lot of cross traffic or large trucks blocking the view of the destination lane, it'll show the message. You could probably force it to continue and steer by pressing the accelerator.
This happened multiple times at a certain intersection for me but went away after a software update.

From my experience with auto pilot, it doesn't look very far ahead, perhaps 5 meters. If you're at an intersection, particularly a larger one it tries to extrapolate where the 'lanes' are to cross the intersection but doesn't do a good job of looking to the other side and extrapolating back. In these situations the computer will essentially shut down and say it can't proceed. It's a little annoying, but if the algorithm isn't confident this is exactly what you want it to do.