Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on HW1 now better than New Autopilot on HW2+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@asterothe Not sure if you are aware of this.

In the HW1 AP, the software actually recognized speed signs and would process that and display it in the car. This was part of the code Tesla replaced/bought in-house when they moved to HW2 (and beyond). For HW2 (and beyond) at present it does NOT read/recognize speed limit signs. Instead it has a database of speed limits in the car map database which it uses to update what you see on your display.

Exactly. When I pass by the real signs the new white speed sign changes. Maybe it knows the location off the map I'm not sure but I can attest to the dynamic speed sign change.

There's no question that AP2 speed sign database is mostly correct but there are many stretches on the road they are very wrong.

Many stretches on I-5 in Los Angles are with 55 MPH signs but AP2 keeps its white speed sign icon as 65 MPH.

Some stretches of highway with 65 MPH signs but AP2 has its white speed sign icon as 45 MPH.

If you drive on a service street too close to a freeway with 35 MPH sign, AP2 has its white speed sign icon as 65 MPH.

This behavior is very consistent since I bought my 2017 Tesla X and 2018 Tesla 3.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
@asterothe Not sure if you are aware of this.

In the HW1 AP, the software actually recognized speed signs and would process that and display it in the car. This was part of the code Tesla replaced/bought in-house when they moved to HW2 (and beyond). For HW2 (and beyond) at present it does NOT read/recognize speed limit signs. Instead it has a database of speed limits in the car map database which it uses to update what you see on your display.

I was not. From my experience it seemed like it was catching the street sign and updating. It's such a bad move to not to read them.

There have been several discussions in other places. The consensus was that Mobile Eye (the AP1 hardware designers) have a patent on reading speed limit signs and that’s why it is not in anything newer but no one had evidence to back that up. I suppose that someone could try and dig through the patent database to find out but I can tell you first had that my AP1 does indeed read speed limit signs. Drive the same road every day and once construction started and the speed limit dropped my Model S picked it up immediately.

Not sure if I’m correct, but it seems like my AP1 checks a database for speed signs too. Many times, I turn onto a road...the speed symbol is blank and then it pops up as the correct speed limit without passing a sign to capture. I only can assume is the delay is phoning home or looking it up in a database based on GPS.

There have been several discussions in other places. The consensus was that Mobile Eye (the AP1 hardware designers) have a patent on reading speed limit signs and that’s why it is not in anything newer but no one had evidence to back that up. I suppose that someone could try and dig through the patent database to find out but I can tell you first had that my AP1 does indeed read speed limit signs. Drive the same road every day and once construction started and the speed limit dropped my Model S picked it up immediately.

US20080137908A1 - Detecting and recognizing traffic signs - Google Patents

Reactions: SF_EVFAN
Not sure if I’m correct, but it seems like my AP1 checks a database for speed signs too. Many times, I turn onto a road...the speed symbol is blank and then it pops up as the correct speed limit without passing a sign to capture. I only can assume is the delay is phoning home or looking it up in a database based on GPS.

Yes I'm sure it does both.

Aha, great work! So ya, highly doubtful that any of the Tesla built AP hardware will ever be able to read signs given that Mobileye holds the patent and that Tesla took away the gig from them (unless of course Tesla ponies up for using it but I dunno about that one on either side of the equation).

Yes I'm sure it does both.

Aha, great work! So ya, highly doubtful that any of the Tesla built AP hardware will ever be able to read signs given that Mobileye holds the patent and that Tesla took away the gig from them (unless of course Tesla ponies up for using it but I dunno about that one on either side of the equation).

Mobileye holds A LOT of patents for autonomous driving. It's definitely a thorn on the side for any company trying to compete.

The patent expires in 2030 so only another 11 years until we have parity from HW2+.

How realistic is FSD if it can't respond to speed signs. Can't imagine it being ok to speed through construction just because the database thinks it's ok.

Yep I was thinking the same thing. Given that my map in my Tesla tells me every morning to make two turns that are impossible to make ... I don't think that remotely downloaded data is the answer!

Not sure I agree. Mobileye's approach to recognition is not that sophisticated and causes a lot of problems with edge cases because there is no learning going on. Ultimately something like Tesla's approach (a neural network) will likely be necessary to achieve full self driving on all but the most basic, well-marked, consistently-marked roads. Just my 2 cents' worth.

Reactions: tmoz
There's no question that AP1 or Gen1 Autopilot has more features than Gen2 Autopilot (as of 2/28/2019).

Gen2 Autopilot (as of 2/28/2019) has only 2 features:
1) TACC
2) AutoSteer

Gen1 Autopilot (AP1 without the word "Enhanced") has more features:
1) TACC
2) AutoSteer

plus
3) Auto Lane Change with manual signaling.
4) AutoPark
5) Summon
6) Speed sign recognition

Note that Gen1 Autopilot (AP1 without the word "Enhanced") does not have Navigation on Autopilot which requires more computing power.

So when talking about EAP, that is NOT Gen1 AP1.
Wait... you forgot to add:

7) No phantom braking on AP1 (or rarely does in comparison to my AP2 car)
8) Properly functioning rain-sensing wipers! lol
:p