Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd go 295s on the 11" rims.
In following the common recommendation of keeping tread width 0-0.5” less than wheel width, I bought the wheel specifically for the 285/35R19 RE-71RS’ 10.5” tread width. Of the options available in 295/3x/19 (i.e. the A052) I don’t think any would outperform a 285 RE71RS anyways (which isn’t available in a 295 on 19).

The 295/35/19s are 26.9" tall which is getting really on the tall side. I could tell a huge difference in corner exit power from my car to Dans car with shorter tires.

For 19s the real options are
A052 - 275
RE71rs - 275, 305
RT660 - 275 (30 or 35 sw), 305
CR-S - 275

Its a bit of a struggle with the billet uprights only fitting 19s not being able to get 295s. So the goal post needs to move to 305s.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Got them custom rainbow brakes.

Apparently we made them hot at Crows :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_4107.jpg
    IMG_4107.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 9
Dallas- you running stock pads or something else? Mine used to do that with the stock pads, but never do with RB XT910's or Ferrado DS2500's, even with the same rotors and at the exact same locations that reliably did it with the stock pads (and I've seen other M3P's that are driven slower do it too)

Yep, stock pads and just a fresh bleed at Crows.

Not sure if youve been down there but average speed is maybe 10-15mph faster than a typical Packwood course so dual driving we can bring in some heat.

But good to know a pad change could help. In vegas we had quite a bit of issue with smoking brakes dual driving the Pro Solo with a very short overlap. Like to a sketchy point. Had to drive the car to cool them instead of going to impound.

Not sure if youve been down there but average speed is maybe 10-15mph faster than a typical Packwood course so dual driving we can bring in some heat.
I have been to Crows, woulda gone this year too but it was my kid's spring break. I was on XB910's at the time and did both the solo and pro there with no issues.

The local mess-around "AutoX" I do in Seattle has a 90 MPH finish with a hard braking zone, so it brings the heat too, and sometimes you can run almost back to back. I found the stock pads just fine, but they did discolor like this every event, and ultimately I just wore them out. The DS2500's are an awesome choice in my experience for AutoX, and don't cause this discoloration. They are always ready to go in the first corner and tolerate high heat better than stock pads. The XB910's were fine but the dust was a mess and they wore out way faster than the stock or DS2500's, and they also had noise issues as a daily.

Autocross has its only beastly heat issues when it comes to power and/or weight. We get things pretty hot (not track hot, but still hot) then park. So all that heat just keeps cooking.

With the Evo, you'll see me spraying all kinds of things down after runs, even the sheetmetal in the engine bay, just to scrub some of that heat out.

Weve been trying to find a way to get some airflow while in grid. Need to make some PVC ducting and an adapter to an electric leaf blower.

I finally figured out the trick to get track mode data useful in RaceRender again... but now I notice it sucks and is completely unusable because it's so laggy. Seems the on screen data is lagging the same way, watch the speedo at about 0:22.

WTF :(

It's the bug we have with the Atom based cars. The GPU can't keep up with the data. Report it via the app or it will never get fixed.

Ugh. I have a feeling it'll never get fixed.

Anyways, yesterday was points event #3 for us. It rained in the morning and was pretty overcast the rest of the day so first runs were wet and the course slowly dried out. I grabbed FTD right off the bat with a 34.860, improved to a 34.345 and then Mario jumped into the spot running a 34.0xx. I fired back with a 33.528 to close out my first set of runs. That time held through the next groups first runs as well, both Jay and Ryan found a 32.9xx in those runs but coned them away.

My last set of runs the course was still slightly damp in spots, opened up with a 32.915... and a cone. Then ran a 32.547 which improved my own FTD time by nearly a second. Last run the car got out of sorts early and didn't go any faster.

Then I got to sit and watch as the sky opened, the sun came out for a bit and dried up the rest of the lot/warmed up the pavement a bit and a GT3 on fresh Hoosiers got to do its thing and ran a 32.240. Ryan managed to run a couple of 32.1xx's but couldn't stay off of the cones.

Great day overall, always fun having good battles over FTD, ended up 2nd in PAX as well, had top PAX until Peter sent it on his last run and dropped a second.

1715001688758.png

1715001799108.png

Finally got the 19x11s to stretch the 275s. The amount of pinch on the 9" wheels was pretty bad and A052s having such a floppy sideway just didn't do well at all with it. Tires are pretty worn now, especially on the inner half, but its only 70 runs and I'm pretty sure the wear is the inner wall buckling. This weekend I'll get a chance to feed what improvements the stretch vs pinch makes.

These are Hypergram 19x11 +40 with a 15mm front spacer. With the billet uprights the lower ball joint nuts/stud are close and limits wheels to 19".

This is with stock upper control arms so no help with pulling the upright inward. All I can get is the ~5mm extra clearance in the billet upper mount limited by the shape of the control arm and full compression clearances.

I THINK, with the FUCA I'm making specific to gain high upright clearance, and the high offset upper mount, I should be able gain 20mm inner tire clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_4124.jpg
    IMG_4124.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4119.jpg
    IMG_4119.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4118.jpg
    IMG_4118.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 2