Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto steer Not ready for prime time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh and btw....I went to The Boring Company event the other night in LA. I got to see the new tunnels and Elon explained that Auto Pilot was necessary to use them. It all looks really amazing. But considering the tunnel digging is the speed of a snail, I think we are good for a little while.

I think you need to run the data against those who paid for and own AP to those who are on the brief trial. The trial users will naturally tend to find fault, as that confirms their decision against purchasing it. Vice versa for those who bought and own it. Like seemingly everything at the moment, the real story depends on your point of view.
Confirmation bias! You make a great point. I've seen weirdness's I can't explain. Specifically, on drive on nav, I see it taking exits at full speed others say the car slows to exit. What I tried just the other day is once in the exit lane I manually drop the speed a tad and then I definitely see the car slowing at the exit. Using Lane-Keep I've yet to see it take an exit if the driver puts the blinker on w/i 100'. I have EAP via FSD option.

Agree, current auto pilot is more stressful and requires intense concentration to use in many situations. Maybe the new CPU upgrade next year will make it more comfortable than a human driver.
Perhaps. I think it also is trusting the software to do the same as the driver would do. I sometimes feel the same when I am a passenger as I know what I would do and when and if the current driver doesn't mirror my muscle memory, I tense up. What I've started to do which works great is in advance of that decision point I drop the speed, via mouse wheel, to where I would had I been driving and it is FAR less stressful.

I did a cross country trip from Texas to CA and also a trip from LA to San Fran and back during my 30 day free trial.

My hands were not heavy enough on the wheel so I had to grab the wheel- sometimes a little obnoxiously so. I tried auto pilot here and there and it was the same everytime. So to me, as a woman who may not be as heavy as some of you men, it was not worth it to me.

That being said, the Cruise Assist is AWESOME!!!!! You use it like regular cruise control (w/one pull down of the bar) and when you get close to traffic, it slows down. When the cars get out of the way it speeds back up to where you were. And of course if someone cuts in front of you, it immediately slows down. Btw, I'm sure you all know this and have tried it- I hope :)

A couple of different times, this option really helped in a big way. On the way to San Fran, traffic went from 60 or so to almost a dead stand still because someone cut in front of someone else. The cruise assist sensed it immediately and slowed down to a stop. It may even have reacted faster than I would have. AND without having to slam on brakes.

I love this feature so much and it is a life saver on roadtrips and even in traffic. I wish they would sell this feature just by itself instead of as part of the whole Auto Pilot or even better, make it standard. I have done some research and it is standard on a lot of luxury vehicles.

Still trying to decide if I want to put out the money for the whole thing for just this one feature.
TACC is an EAP feature. Straight up cruise control comes with the car but does not slow down unless a crash is immanent. I had adaptive cruise control on my 2012 Prius plugin. Not what I would have called a luxury car.

Keep in mind there are now two videos of a Tesla, the first one definitely an S, the second on perhaps a Model 3, doing FSD, stopping at lights and stop signs, navigating pedestrians and bikers, etc. They do have their own chip going GA within a few months as well. Clearly they are moving away from NVIDIA.
Yes, those videos support my stance on the subject.

TACC is an EAP feature. Straight up cruise control comes with the car but does not slow down unless a crash is immanent. I had adaptive cruise control on my 2012 Prius plugin. Not what I would have called a luxury car.

Please forgive me but I don't know what TACC (I am guessing that EAP is Auto Pilot) or whatever other letters you guys tend to use all of the time on these threads. Sorry. I know I should know all of this but I don't.

So are you saying that the standard cruise control that comes with the car will slow down by itself, if you drive up on a vehicle going slower, so you don't have to use your brakes?

Please forgive me but I don't know what TACC (I am guessing that EAP is Auto Pilot) or whatever other letters you guys tend to use all of the time on these threads. Sorry. I know I should know all of this but I don't.

So are you saying that the standard cruise control that comes with the car will slow down by itself, if you drive up on a vehicle going slower, so you don't have to use your brakes?
TACC stands for traffic aware cruise control. It will slow you down as it approaches another car.

Standard cruise control in a "normal" car does not do this and will happily run you into the back of people.

No... std cruise control will simply allow the driver to do a set speed regardless of someone slower in front of them. Touching brakes disengages cruise control. This is the level of cruise control likely every car comes with at this point. TACC is aka adaptive cruise control which is what you just described.

Note: you can get a pdf version of the user manual online via google so you can read it at your leisure.

Yes, those videos support my stance on the subject.
Jeff, in a word or two or...., would you elaborate what your stance is? I saw your reference to 'exactly the opposite of their approach'. That first video I referenced I believe was a 2015 vid. I thought it was impressive. That last one I believe is relatively new and is equally if not more impressive. Clearly they need the software to go beta that reads speed limits, stop signs and lights, as I've discovered speed limit signs can vary greatly from geo-coded speeds and, esp on exits, exit speed signs would slow a car nicely from 65 to ramp speed. I do find it unnerving to take an exit at 65. Part of that is muscle memory where the car's logic diverges from mine re: exit ramp speed. To elaborate, I've spent 45+ years designing and writing software. I haven't ever ventured into AI or machine learning so polynomial decision trees went right over my head.

Where? I can't find that.

It helps to read the post I replied to.
Note: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is a BETA
feature.
Note: If your vehicle is not equipped with the
optional Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-
Driving Capability package, refer to the
owner's manual on your vehicle's touchscreen
for instructions on how to use Cruise Control.

This is on page 67 in the latest (well, my latest) version of the PDF owner manual.
I had one from when the Model 3 was first coming out and, to my recollection, it works the same way TACC works except it is non 'adaptive'.

There is learning needing to be done, both by the car and by the drive.

Owners with AutoPilot learn, with experience, when their vehicle can perform well and where it can't. Poorly marked lanes, without another car to follow are a challenge.
Running in the right lane, the autopilot sometimes cannot tell if it should go straight down the road, or take the exit lane.

Best case is when the roads are well marked, there is another car ahead of you in the same lane, and when you are cruising in one of the middle lanes. Then it seem to perform great.

It seems to be getting better with every update, and becomes a highly valued tool by most owners.

If you want to find fault with it, it is easy to do, as it is still under development.

For me it is most valuable on long boring trips and in rush hour traffic. In both situations it removes a tremendous amount of stress.

In the difficult situations I simply turn it off and take over manually.

If it was free, everyone would choose to have it. Only the cost makes it a difficult decision for many.

Reactions: wcorey
Note: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is a BETA
feature.
Note: If your vehicle is not equipped with the
optional Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-
Driving Capability package, refer to the
owner's manual on your vehicle's touchscreen
for instructions on how to use Cruise Control.

This is on page 67 in the latest (well, my latest) version of the PDF owner manual.
I had one from when the Model 3 was first coming out and, to my recollection, it works the same way TACC works except it is non 'adaptive'.
Ah yes, I love how they don't put it in the pdf but tell you to pull it up in-car /sarcasm

I can't imagine using dumb cruise control ever again... I love TACC.

What I've started to do which works great is in advance of that decision point I drop the speed, via mouse wheel, to where I would had I been driving and it is FAR less stressful.

That is what I've been doing when using NAP, I set the max speed to something closer to the exit ramp speed and it is much less stressful.

Same thing if I'm using TACC on city streets, I lower the speed at left turn lanes to have it be a controlled speed during the turn.

Ah yes, I love how they don't put it in the pdf but tell you to pull it up in-car /sarcasm

I can't imagine using dumb cruise control ever again... I love TACC.
Yeah...I had adaptive cruise control in my 2012 Prius Plugin Advanced. I was just so used to it driving Mass Pike and interstates twice a day. I use it even when I leave the development I'm in.

Found a reddit reference to it as well
Model 3 Features without EAP
renderTimingPixel.png

General
Got my non owner, line waiter, 11am Pittsburgh reservation invite yesterday. And I was wondering about what exactly I would be missing out on if I defer getting EAP.

If I don't get EAP:
Do I still get rain sensing wipers?
Do I get traffic aware cruise control (without Lane keeping)?
Do I get regular (dumb) cruise control?
Do I get any form of auto parking?
Is there any other feature I might be surprised to find I don't have?
Any chance of an EAP trial like they did for model S before?

135 comments
92% Upvoted
This thread is archived
New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast
Sort by
level 1
ersatzcrab
Model Y Eventually
35 points · 10 months ago
  1. Yes

2. No (sadly)

3. Yes (Fortunately)

4. No (parking sensors are excellent, though).

5. Nope. EAP is seriously just lane keeping, TACC, autopark, and Summon at the moment.

6. Probably not at this time. We'll see what the future brings.

Yes, I think the biggest issue is that it doesn't see several cars ahead, and also doesn't classify nearby drivers (crazy, asleep, drunk, etc), in order to anticipate behavior. But that is a hard problem. People don't get there without several years of experience.
Actually Alan, that's one of the selling points, it does look ahead such that if the car 2 cars up from you does something squirrelly the software will go defensive and slow down or change lanes etc. Pretty fricken slick. I have not had the opportunity to witness that...thank goodness.