Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Augmented Reality Projected on the Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about there are two curved screens. The outer one is the conventional windshield, subject to normal wear and tear. The inner one, which it curved to match, is the display screen. It is separated from the outer one by a small gap.

Sort of double-paned window idea, although the inner pane wouldn't need to cover the full height of the windshield over the driver's head. It could just cover the space from dash to sun visors - or maybe not even that tall.

It could also be hinged to swing towards the seats for easy cleaning of both surfaces and/or if/when the windshield needs replacing.
I would have to see that. I can't imagine how that would look.

I hope that it will be placed on a gimbal of sorts (physical or digital) so that as the car moves with the road so does the screen. You can then put boxes around cars so autopilot is clear on what it's doing and have the road marking line up properly. Otherwise it's just a transparent screen in front of you vs augmenting your reality. It's a fairly recent advancement in technology: See Snapchat and Pokemon Go, but it's doable I hope.

You can then put boxes around cars so autopilot is clear on what it's doing and have the road marking line up properly.

Nice. Could be a green wireframe box unless a vehicle comes too close, whereupon it could flash between the wireframe box and a transparent red or yellow box.

As the other car moves further ahead of the Tesla, the highlighting wireframe box fades away so that attention is focussed only on the vehicles in the immediate vicinity.

I am all for HUD, and truly hope it is what ends up in the Model ☰.
But... I do not want it flashing each time a car passes or is within x-distance. I drive with my instrument cluster's light turned all the way down and my grey matter does not do well with flashing/strobing lights/videos/etc, especially combined with being in a moving car. I would not want my car to make me nauseous every time I'm in it.

Reactions: Red Sage
Make no mistake I totally want a heads up display... especially to know what autopilot is doing and maybe for displaying arrows when using GPS navigation to tell me where to turn.

Although you know, I was driving in my prius and realized that all I ever use if is the fuel gauge, speedometer, and the display telling me what gear (but I only need that when I am stopped). Besides autopilot info, there relatively little I'd actually need all the time.