Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi’s 310-Mile Pure Electric SUV Scheduled For Early 2018 Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do know thay Audi is just another brand of VW? They share platforms and under the VW brand there is at least the e-Golf and the e-Up...
Sure it's the same parent company, but nobody releases as much vapourware as Audi, VW talked about the e-golf, and built it, Audi has talked about so many new EVs that I can't keep track, and yet has built none.

We'll start taking them seriously when they talk less and produce more.

Some more details on the R8 E-tron can be found here. The car should become available for around 250'000 Euros upon orders. The 2 seater is a platform to test technologies and no match for the current Model S. To best a Model S or X will not be easy as those will not be standing still for long either.

It's worth noting that the Model S came with an 85kWh battery back in the middle of 2012. Fast forward six years, and I would be surprised if we didn't see at least a 40% improvement in the battery pack. This is relatively conservative, considering both Elon and JB repeatedly mention that lithium-ion batteries improve at a rate of about 100% every ten years. Nonetheless, if we apply a 40% improvement to the 85kWh battery pack, we get 120kWh / 350wh/mi = 342 mile range.

I think 2018 is the perfect time for them to release upgraded battery packs for the S and the X, for a couple of reasons. Primarily, they will need to better differentiate the Gen2 from Gen3.

Some more details on the R8 E-tron can be found here. The car should become available for around 250'000 Euros upon orders. The 2 seater is a platform to test technologies and no match for the current Model S. To best a Model S or X will not be easy as those will not be standing still for long either.
Interesting look into the tech underneath the sheet-metal. From what I'm seeing (on paper at least), I doubt even a P85D would be able to touch the R8 E-tron on a road course. I'm guessing you're talking only about 0-100 though.

It's worth noting that the Model S came with an 85kWh battery back in the middle of 2012. Fast forward six years, and I would be surprised if we didn't see at least a 40% improvement in the battery pack. This is relatively conservative, considering both Elon and JB repeatedly mention that lithium-ion batteries improve at a rate of about 100% every ten years. Nonetheless, if we apply a 40% improvement to the 85kWh battery pack, we get 120kWh / 350wh/mi = 342 mile range.

I think 2018 is the perfect time for them to release upgraded battery packs for the S and the X, for a couple of reasons. Primarily, they will need to better differentiate the Gen2 from Gen3.

Although Elon has been repeatedly quoted that 300 mile batteries are overkill and not needed.

Sure it's the same parent company, but nobody releases as much vapourware as Audi, VW talked about the e-golf, and built it, Audi has talked about so many new EVs that I can't keep track, and yet has built none.

We'll start taking them seriously when they talk less and produce more.
It's much more than that. They actually share platforms. Audi A3 and VW Golf is essentially the same car underneath the shell. Same for Audi A4 and VW Passat.
So building fir example an Audi A3 BEV from the e-golf would require very little.

Interesting look into the tech underneath the sheet-metal. From what I'm seeing (on paper at least), I doubt even a P85D would be able to touch the R8 E-tron on a road course. I'm guessing you're talking only about 0-100 though.
No, the E-tron is a two seater and not comparable to a large, spacious, long range, purely electrical limousine. It will take time to get from here to there and by then Tesla will have moved on.

When Ché went to Atlantis he told the ecstatic crowd:

"We are going to build you factories!" They replied in unison:
"Baluga!"

"You will get free healthcare!"
"Baluga!" again.

Then when finished he asked one of the security detail about
the whereabouts of the toilet, he respectfully pointed to the
nearest shrub stating:

"There behing the bush, you pull your baluga out and pee."

Oh yeah VAG, we will believe it when we see it. With half baked
compliance cars like the e-Golf, the start is promising?

Now that you mention Audi.... Despite the huge performance gains, today’s World Endurance Championship cars are more economical than ever before. The third, fourth and seventh place Audis from this year’s Le Mans race use a V6 TDI diesel engine with 550bhp – but it actually uses 40 per cent less energy than the team’s first V12 TDI race car from 2006. Audi tells us that its three R18 e-tron models recuperated a total of 1,263 kWh over the 24-hour race – enough to supply the average family home with electricity for more than five months. The regenerative brakes store energy, which can in turn be used to boost acceleration out of corners. Six things we learned at Le Mans 2015 | Auto Express