Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At Tesla Service Now: Should I replace this DD misaligned windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. At Tesla Service to fix delivery day issues. My windshield (left) is misaligned. It sits lower on the driver side and the panel gap is thinner. You can see how it doesn’t align with the sunroof glass. They’re willing to freely replace it under “Virginia Safety Inspection” (even though I’m in Toronto.)

They’ve mentioned they need to cut the glass on this brand new car which can cause issues with alignment elsewhere as the surrounding areas may be affected, as well as the fresh urethane causing minor blotches here or there.

Really, I’m just wondering if this is too invasive to be worth fixing. If it’s cosmetic, I don’t mind. If the misalignment is causing uneven pressure which makes it more prone to cracking, that’s an issue…but it seems minor. I can’t get a straight answer out of Tesla as they’re not exactly excited to make my adjustments.

Thanks for any input. I’m here waiting for other issues to be fixed.

4C6B9586-7249-43FB-B047-E87F50A82F9F.jpeg

Hey all. At Tesla Service to fix delivery day issues. My windshield (left) is misaligned. It sits lower on the driver side and the panel gap is thinner. You can see how it doesn’t align with the sunroof glass. They’re willing to freely replace it under “Virginia Safety Inspection” (even though I’m in Toronto.)

They’ve mentioned they need to cut the glass on this brand new car which can cause issues with alignment elsewhere as the surrounding areas may be affected, as well as the fresh urethane causing minor blotches here or there.

Really, I’m just wondering if this is too invasive to be worth fixing. If it’s cosmetic, I don’t mind. If the misalignment is causing uneven pressure which makes it more prone to cracking, that’s an issue…but it seems minor. I can’t get a straight answer out of Tesla as they’re not exactly excited to make my adjustments.

View attachment 845170
Windshield replacement is invasive and there is always risk for paint and interior damage through the process. I would leave well enough alone if the gap issue is purely cosmetic.

This is NOT normal. My car's glass panels are aligned properly.
Getting Tesla to do something about this, on the other hand, may be a challenge.

This is a quality issue - THEIR PROBLEM. It should not be yours. Just my 2¢

Should be vs. will be, are (sadly) two very different propositions when dealing with Tesla service.

That's a peculiar disclaimer.
The glass piece was installed crookedly. It's a build problem that should never have escaped factory QA.
Removing a glass panel is not hard.
Removing a glass panel should shift nothing else, and logically should not cause any alignment shifts anywhere else.
Applying urethan glue, properly, is not hard. Cleaning excessive glue blotches is easy.

Sounds to me like someone is trying to weasel out of replacing that panel for you, despite prior assurances!

It absolutely will increase probability of stress cracking and wind noise. By how much - it's hard to say.
What you choose to do about this, is up to you.
I would insist on getting it replaced properly. If they screw-up the replacement and install a new one crookedly, I would get them to replace it as many times as it takes to get it right.

Oddly the $0 invoice states it was fixed…not sure if good or bad to have that noted.

Fixed == they hope you go away. Thus the issue (you) are fixed from their perspective.
Getting that noted means absolutely nothing.
Tesla SC can either replace that panel to make it right, or convince you to go away. One of the two outcomes is definitely cheaper for them than the other.

HTH,
a

Reactions: likkuid
This is NOT normal. My car's glass panels are aligned properly.
Getting Tesla to do something about this, on the other hand, may be a challenge.

Should be vs. will be, are (sadly) two very different propositions when dealing with Tesla service.

That's a peculiar disclaimer.
The glass piece was installed crookedly. It's a build problem that should never have escaped factory QA.
Removing a glass panel is not hard.
Removing a glass panel should shift nothing else, and logically should not cause any alignment shifts anywhere else.
Applying urethan glue, properly, is not hard. Cleaning excessive glue blotches is easy.

Sounds to me like someone is trying to weasel out of replacing that panel for you, despite prior assurances!

It absolutely will increase probability of stress cracking and wind noise. By how much - it's hard to say.
What you choose to do about this, is up to you.
I would insist on getting it replaced properly. If they screw-up the replacement and install a new one crookedly, I would get them to replace it as many times as it takes to get it right.

Fixed == they hope you go away. Thus the issue (you) are fixed from their perspective.
Getting that noted means absolutely nothing.
Tesla SC can either replace that panel to make it right, or convince you to go away. One of the two outcomes is definitely cheaper for them than the other.

HTH,
a
Thank you. They’re offering to fix it for free but my concern is them damaging paint or interior as they replace. Still advisable?

Also, would this type of fix go on CarFax?

One of my groomsman from years ago works at the service center I went to and said this.

“The sealing and integrity of the windshield is unaffected the fitment is is purely aesthetic and if you'd like, the service center will do it for you no problem. The windshield job is quite invasive and recommend that if you want to replace it to wait a few weeks first because the urethane would be less wet making the job cleaner if done at a later date. If it were mine I would keep as is.”

And “Sept 30th is a good time to get the windshield replaced. And your reason to replace the windshield holds strong merit. There is always risk in interior or paint damage and I have seen it happen just from accident or human error. But be assured if that were to happen the service center would rectify.”

I’ve scheduled the appt. for late Sept. Thanks all for your help.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC

View attachment 845170
Is the gap on the other side similar? The top piece of glass on my Model 3 is actually 3mm or so narrower than the windshield glass. This means that both sides look like your picture at the windshield/roof interface. In my case, the glass is centered so the gap is the same on both sides. If the gaps is the same on both sides, definitely don't get it fixed if there are no other issues (excessive wind noise, leaks, etc).

Reactions: likkuid
Is the gap on the other side similar? The top piece of glass on my Model 3 is actually 3mm or so narrower than the windshield glass. This means that both sides look like your picture at the windshield/roof interface. In my case, the glass is centered so the gap is the same on both sides. If the gaps is the same on both sides, definitely don't get it fixed if there are no other issues (excessive wind noise, leaks, etc).
No, they’re completely uneven and you can even see it’s crooked if you stand at the front of the car.