Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Germany is 38% renewable and an additional 12% Nuclear (50%.) Compared to the US 17% Renewable and 20% Nuclear (37%)
@LCR1
could you reference those percentages please? for the US. i'm a bit confused
Am I reading the charts incorrectly?
US used ~101Quads energy 2018, LLNL data (makes %'s easy to estimate)
https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/assets/images/charts/Energy/Energy_2018_United-States.png

upload_2019-4-30_9-31-27.png

My news feed this am says GOLDMAN maintains sell rating expecting Q1 #s to disappoint.

Why the H did they increase their stake by 25% last quarter then?

This is rigged!

I can't tell from the filings which part of Goldman Sachs group owns the 1.78 million shares of TSLA. It could be the trading desk or it could be goldman sachs asset management. While I agree w neroden that the prop desk and sell side research are probably meeting up after work for drinks, GSAM is truly independent. It manages money through mutual funds, venture funds, etc. It has an "emerging technology" mutual fund for example. Without knowing more, its hard to do more than speculate.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Here's an interesting (to me) one:
https://gizmodo.com/tesla-is-blocking-its-employees-from-accessing-an-anony-1835238737
So there is an anonymous employee complaint site that uses work e-mail address verification to prove employment. Tesla is both blocking the site on its networks and also blocking incoming verification e-mails.
Gizmodo is claiming this is a bad thing. However, it seems to me that this is well within Tesla's rights as part of controlling use of the company IT resources.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mader Levap
Here's an interesting (to me) one:
https://gizmodo.com/tesla-is-blocking-its-employees-from-accessing-an-anony-1835238737
So there is an anonymous employee complaint site that uses work e-mail address verification to prove employment. Tesla is both blocking the site on its networks and also blocking incoming verification e-mails.
Gizmodo is claiming this is a bad thing. However, it seems to me that this is well within Tesla's rights as part of controlling use of the company IT resources.
Would you use YOUR company email address to complain - and just how is that anonymous?
IF you wanted to be anonymous you'd email at least from your home, or better yet a local library.

As a former network admin. I asked people to NOT shop, NOT do personal banking while at work, NOT use business Email for personal use.
Just common sense. (and don't print things from the internet)

What BS. You should have some separation from home life vs work. AND work should be trying to protect computers (and their users).

PS- Anonymous seems the norm now - seems almost all our "news" comes from anonymous sources.
Why would anyone give much weight to anonymous? wake up.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Would you use YOUR company email address to complain - and just how is that anonymous?
IF you wanted to be anonymous you'd email at least from your home, or better yet a local library.

As a former network admin. I asked people to NOT shop, NOT do personal banking while at work, NOT use business Email for personal use.
Just common sense. (and don't print things from the internet)

What BS. You should have some separation from home life vs work. AND work should be trying to protect computers (and their users).

PS- Anonymous seems the norm now - seems almost all our "news" comes from anonymous sources.
Why would anyone give much weight to anonymous? wake up.

The company email part is to prove you work there. I imagine it is only a verifcation number you type into the web site, no identifying information regarding which user you are.
Once verified, I expect you could use any e-mail or browser.

So at least the posts cone from random employees vs random non-employees, should help SNR slightly.

The company email part is to prove you work there. I imagine it is only a verifcation number you type into the web site, no identifying information regarding which user you are.
Once verified, I expect you could use any e-mail or browser.

So at least the posts cone from random employees vs random non-employees, should help SNR slightly.
I know you have a great imagination - sometimes I like to think I do - let us not imagine anymore on this boring topic. :rolleyes:
PS - knowing who you work for, what kind of work you do might just add to my personal bias and distract for the idea you are presenting.
So don't distract me needlessly, please. :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: mongo
An article of FACT from Business Insider of all places (it's a new writer, though, Andy Kiersz):

Elon Musk got 'paid' $2.3 billion last year but actually earned $0, and this shows how complicated CEO compensation has become

Corporations have considerable discretion as to what is assumed in applying SEC regs and FASB guidelines:

The probability of meeting an operational milestone is based on a subjective assessment of our future financial projections. Even though no tranches of the 2018 CEO Performance Award vest unless a market capitalization and a matching operational milestone are both achieved, stock-based compensation expense is recognized only when an operational milestone is considered probable of achievement regardless of how much additional market capitalization must be achieved in order for a tranche to vest. At our current market capitalization, even the first tranche of the 2018 CEO Performance Award will not vest unless our market capitalization were to approximately double from the current level and stay at that increased level for a sustained period of time. Additionally, stock-based compensation represents a non-cash expense and is recorded as a selling, general, and administrative operating expense.
Market capitalization grows not just by increases in share price but also through follow-on offerings and using shares to acquire other businesses such as Maxwell, Central Valley Auto Transport , Perbix, Grohmann, SCTY, Riviera Tool, etc.

The market capitalization goals in Musk's "pay plan" are adjusted upwards every time Tesla makes a share-based acquisition or a secondary offering. (Making it harder to reach the goals each time they do that.)

Wrong. There is no provision for adjusting the Market Capitalization criteria for dilutive follow-on ("secondaries" in your argot) offerings.

The adjustment for acquisitions only applies if the acquisition is over $1 billion:

V. Milestone Adjustments in the Event of Certain Corporate Transactions
A.
Milestone Adjustments for Acquisitions
1. Upon and effective as of the closing of an Acquisition with a Purchase Price greater than the Transaction Value Threshold, any and all Market Capitalization Milestones that are unachieved as of immediately before the closing of such Acquisition will be increased by the dollar amount equal to the Purchase Price of such Acquisition.
2. Upon and effective as of the closing of an Acquisition in which the Revenue of Target is greater than the Revenue Threshold, any and all Revenue based Operational Milestones that are unachieved as of immediately before the closing of such Acquisition will be increased by the dollar amount equal to the Revenue of Target applicable to such Acquisition.
3. Upon and effective as of the closing of an Acquisition in which the EBITDA of Target is greater than the EBITDA Threshold, any and all Adjusted EBITDA based Operational Milestones that are unachieved as of immediately before the closing of such Acquisition will be increased by the dollar amount equal to the EBITDA of Target applicable to such Acquisition.

“Transaction Value Threshold” means a dollar amount equal to one billion dollars ($1,000,000,000).

Perhaps read Exhibit A of:
Proxy Statement

Last edited:
Ah, I remembered incorrectly. The targets are adjusted for big acquisitions.

However, for smaller dilution there's two more stockholder protections. The number of shares Musk gets if he achieves the market cap goal is *fixed*.

So as the stock gets diluted, it gets worth less and less as a percentage of shares outstanding, less in terms of control, less in terms of future earning power. So for instance if he doubled the float by issuing stock, his award would be half as much in percentage terms.

On top of that, the award is actually options with a strike price around $350. To the extent that dilution lowers the stock price, it lowers his award's value.

If the market cap is $100 billion and the stock price is below $350 (due to issuing lots of stock), the award is worth nothing. Every stock issuance makes it harder for the award to be worth something.

It's worthless at this point. He hasn't earned any of it.