Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent the following to the Supercharger group at Tesla Motors...

---

I am a Model S owner (delivery Nov 16, 2013) located in Tucson AZ. I am very pleased to see the rapid rollout of Supercharger capability in my state. Thank you!

In looking over the projected 2015 Supercharger map on the Tesla website, I see a long gap between Superchargers on I-10 between Phoenix AZ and New Mexico. I infer that the one south of Phoenix is near the junction of I-8 and I-10 near Casa Grande AZ. The one in New Mexico is probably near Lordsburg NM, the westernmost town in NM on I-10 and the closest spot to AZ that might have the electrical infrastructure to support a Supercharger.

The distance from Casa Grande AZ to Lordsburg NM is 224 miles according to Google maps, which is a stretch in an 85 and not do-able in a 60.

My suggestion is to consider siting a Supercharger in the vicinity of Benson AZ. This almost exactly splits the distance: Casa Grande to Benson is 115 miles, Benson to Lordsburg is 109 miles.

In addition to the primary goal of facilitating travel along I-10, this also opens up much of southeast Arizona for Model S owners: Tombstone, Bisbee, Willcox, Sierra Vista and perhaps the Chiricahuas.

Note that Benson is a small town, far enough from Tucson that no one will try to use it for local driving, yet interesting enough for a stop.

Thank you for considering this suggestion.

I applaud your efforts to revolutionize personal transportation by making inter-city travel practical -- and fun!

I drive back and fourth to Sierra Vista nearly weekly. From Scottsdale to Sierra Vista driving 65 MPH with little HVAC I barely make it in my 85 and it's only 185 miles. i10 from Vail to Benson is deceivingly steep.

---

I am a Model S owner (delivery Nov 16, 2013) located in Tucson AZ. I am very pleased to see the rapid rollout of Supercharger capability in my state. Thank you!

In looking over the projected 2015 Supercharger map on the Tesla website, I see a long gap between Superchargers on I-10 between Phoenix AZ and New Mexico. I infer that the one south of Phoenix is near the junction of I-8 and I-10 near Casa Grande AZ. The one in New Mexico is probably near Lordsburg NM, the westernmost town in NM on I-10 and the closest spot to AZ that might have the electrical infrastructure to support a Supercharger.

The distance from Casa Grande AZ to Lordsburg NM is 224 miles according to Google maps, which is a stretch in an 85 and not do-able in a 60.

My suggestion is to consider siting a Supercharger in the vicinity of Benson AZ. This almost exactly splits the distance: Casa Grande to Benson is 115 miles, Benson to Lordsburg is 109 miles.

In addition to the primary goal of facilitating travel along I-10, this also opens up much of southeast Arizona for Model S owners: Tombstone, Bisbee, Willcox, Sierra Vista and perhaps the Chiricahuas.

Note that Benson is a small town, far enough from Tucson that no one will try to use it for local driving, yet interesting enough for a stop.

I applaud your efforts to revolutionize personal transportation by making inter-city travel practical -- and fun!

---

Thanks kk7p,
This would be a perfect spot to fill the gap between Tucson (home for me) and SE Arizona. After getting San Diego open to us with Superchargers; Las Cruces, Santa Fe, and northern NM is next on my wish list.

And Holbrook may have opened on the sly! We were tracking the wrong location, perhaps! We're this close to being surrounded by SCs. Well worth the wait. Now we just need Yuma/Indio/Cabazon, please!

P.S. as of this moment. It looks like Tesla's SC page is screwed up HTML-wise...But it does indicate Holbrook is open.

According to the TM website, the Holbrook supercharger is online TODAY, but it is NOT listed on our car's navigation screen. We have recent photographic evidence that nothing is happening at the Carl's Jr. in a Holbrook, but a visit to Burger King in a Holbrook might be a grand idea. Please post pix if available.

photo update Kingman AZ 5 AM this morning, these were messaged to me. No word on when it will go live, but it should be soon!!

IMG_8914.JPG
IMG_8915.JPG

According to the TM website, the Holbrook supercharger is online TODAY, but it is NOT listed on our car's navigation screen. We have recent photographic evidence that nothing is happening at the Carl's Jr. in a Holbrook, but a visit to Burger King in a Holbrook might be a grand idea. Please post pix if available.

I wonder if something similar occurred in Indio -- maybe we've been looking in the wrong place?

Take a look at my "Rule of Thumb" for maximum Supercharger spacing: Tesla Supercharger network - Page 346 and Tesla Supercharger network - Page 347

Kingman-Flagstaff fails the test, but Kingman-Williams passes. Williams is very close to Flagstaff, but makes it possible for Elon to climb the hill out of Kingman and blast on up the highway with gusto; maybe Williams is needed. Besides, for Elon or others wanting to visit the Grand Canyon, topping up at Williams, visiting the canyon with a small drink at an RV 14-50, then topping off again at Flagstaff before heading east would be a very nice experience. It works the other direction, also.

Maybe some scouting and building application review in Williams would be worthwhile...just a thought. :wink: