Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the wheels on the Uberturbine's really that easy to damage? (New England area)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I'm trading in my Model 3 with 18" wheels for MYP in a few weeks and I'm really not sure what to do about the uberturbines. I love the way they look and don't really mind the harsher ride (plan on getting upgraded coilovers), but I'm nervous they'll be super easy to pop and then be difficult to find a replacement. To make matters worse, I'm going on road trip from Boston to DC with some friends in June and the last thing I want to have to deal with is a possible flat somewhere.

Are they really that fragile/easy to damage? I've never had a flat on either of the Model 3's I've owned, and one of them even had 19" sport wheels for 3 years with no issues around here.

The worst case scenario if you get a flat that can't be repaired would be that you have to leave the vehicle at a Tesla Service center for a couple of days and you would need to rent a vehicle. If it is really a concern you have time to locate different wheels and have them installed when you receive your Model Y. You could square up the 21" Uberturbine wheels, switch to 20" wheels, 19" wheels or even 18" wheels and tires. Tesla won't sell you the 20" or 19" winter wheel and tire package for the performance Model Y (probably because of the winter tire speed rating (V=149 MPH) being too low for the Performance Model Y's top speed of 155 MPH) but the 20" Induction wheels and the 19" Gemini wheels will definitely fit the Performance Model Y with the performance brake rotors, calipers. There are also many choices of third party wheels including wheels from Tire Rack, Discount Tire (America's Tires), TSportline and Martian. Tires for the Performance Model Y need to have a W or Y speed rating, else no tire shop will install them.

I’ve had 22“ on my Model X and never (knock on wood) had a flat. I let a friend borrow my car though and he hit major curb rash trying to do a u-turn in a tight street though. Bigger wheels will be more likely to get curb rash, so if you never parallel park or can drive like a competent person, it shouldn’t be a worry

For a Model Y though, replacement tires are limited options at the 21” size. Basically Pirelli or Pilot Sports, look it up on tire rack, only a couple options. Id keep a tire patch/repair kit handy just in case.

Not sure about popping or causing a flat. I've hit one pretty nasty pot hole that I would have swore it would have caused damage (bent rim, flat tire, curb rash, chip, etc). And none of the rims had any damage. Then with random driving, I have managed to collect 3 imperfections in less than 1600 miles.

First is a rock chip, which makes one spot rough to the touch. Inches away on the wheel "blade", (I am guessing the same rock) has caused a chip in the finish, and it looks like it wants to flake off.

Then a third spot on a different rim; it's like a mini curb rash. Likely from a pothole. Barely Noticeable. Not even the size of a dime.

I've really babied the car. I can't think of where these damages could have happened.

Eventually, I might buy a 5th rim, replace the worst looking rim, and use it for learning. It seems popular for people to sand their rims down (getting rid of any curb rash, chip imperfections), and then use a color matching paint to refinish it.

Before I bought my car, I noticed a Model 3 Performance with really badly chipped rims. It seems like a common problem. It wouldn't surprise me if someone has started (or expanded) a powder coating business that specifically refinishes Tesla wheels. You would just have to find the right sanding tools, and matching paint.

Tesla powder coating process or paint materials must be insufficient. BMW has a lot of interesting wheel choices and colors; and I bet the finish on their wheels hold up better.

I had a similar, but different issue with a Honda rim. The wheel had a clear coat over a matte finish, and the clear was (aggressively) chipping away. Honda eventually warrantied it, and redid all 4 wheels. The wheels never had the issue again.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has successfully warrantied their Tesla rims. I know the Model 3 Performance I saw had what I would consider unacceptable, aggressive levels of chipping.

It is one thing to have curb rashes; these are self-inflicted. It is another thing for rock chips to cause excessive chipping/flaking. Every vehicle on the road experiences these rock chips. But not every rim looks like it's received 50 or 100 rock chips.

Fwiw - I'm not sure if the long range or induction wheels are more durable, or if they chip as easily. I would guess they chip just as easily.

I pulled my Uberturbines off within a week of ownership. Michigan roads are not conducive to those wheels in my opinion. I dropped down to 20" Enkeis and feel much more comfortable with driving it now. I haven't really noticed a range increase however it feels faster. That could be the 25-30lbs dropped from each corner.

I do love the look of Uberturbines though, it's a bummer that they are so big.

IMO the wheels are not the issue: the problem is the ridiculous spec that Tesla uses on the Uberturbines. The tires (255 front/275 rear) are simply too narrow for the 9.5”/10.5” wheels, respectively. Like many others on this forum, I had planned to immediately downsize the wheel on my MYP to improve both the ride and the flat/damage resistance however, upon receipt of the car and some more research, I ultimately decided to simply upsize the tires. The larger tire spec improved the ride, increased the sidewall, provided an added measure of resistance to damage and, as an added bonus, helped to fill the unnecessarily large wheel gap that comes standard (no extra charge)! On my prior M3P, I installed MPP coilovers, wheel spacers and new wheels/tires in order to correct the stance and the ride. With the MYP, the fix came much more economically with a more appropriate tire spec…..and the work was done in my driveway while I was on a conference call. I now look at OEM-spec’s MYPs and can’t imagine driving one with those so oddly stretched tires. Good luck.

Reactions: bd7349
IMO the wheels are not the issue: the problem is the ridiculous spec that Tesla uses on the Uberturbines. The tires (255 front/275 rear) are simply too narrow for the 9.5”/10.5” wheels, respectively. Like many others on this forum, I had planned to immediately downsize the wheel on my MYP to improve both the ride and the flat/damage resistance however, upon receipt of the car and some more research, I ultimately decided to simply upsize the tires. The larger tire spec improved the ride, increased the sidewall, provided an added measure of resistance to damage and, as an added bonus, helped to fill the unnecessarily large wheel gap that comes standard (no extra charge)! On my prior M3P, I installed MPP coilovers, wheel spacers and new wheels/tires in order to correct the stance and the ride. With the MYP, the fix came much more economically with a more appropriate tire spec…..and the work was done in my driveway while I was on a conference call. I now look at OEM-spec’s MYPs and can’t imagine driving one with those so oddly stretched tires. Good luck.
What size did you go with?

What size did you go with?
F 265/40
R 295/35

6C58DB55-6475-476F-923D-CDE30AD6B15C.jpeg

Is that size of the Pilot Sport All Season 4 rated for EV usage? I recall hearing that Tesla/EV specific tires included subtle tweaks to their design, like a sound dampening foam, more rigid sidewall to support the increased weight of an EV, etc.

To properly protect the Uberturbine rim in the midwest; I think it will be necessary for me to get a bigger tire.