Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple's 2016 fall event on 7 Sept

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
What to Expect From Apple's September 7 Event

Expectations seem to be very low:

iPhone 7 leaks show a re-hashed 6/6s body with the headphone jack deleted and a dual-camera added to the Plus.
Apple Watch may get some badly needed internal upgrades to battery and processor.
New Beets headphones.

No new Macs expected. Apple has recently left the Mac line to wither on the vine in favor of dubiously useful iPad Pros.

iOS 10.

Given that many people on the Macrumors forums are in despair over Tim Cook's Apple, I'm thinking there may be room for a good surprise. It's a perfect opportunity for Apple to seize the limelight at a time when rival Samsung is reeling from a Total Recall of its flagship Galaxy 7 Note phones for battery combustion.

• Informative
Reactions: Owner and GoTslaGo
To be fair, Apple has the ecosystem down pat. Android may be more customizable but I know when my iPhone will get updated. I know what models qualify for every update. It doesn't matter what carrier I use.

Android seems to be good at inventing features. Apple seems to be good at 'making them work' - making them usable. Best example I can think of is NFC. Sure, Android had NFC chips in their phones before Apple. But they were practically useless. then Apple Pay came around and *bang*, suddenly contactless payment is now good for more than just EZ-Pass and bus/subway fares.

I never want to be beholden to my carrier to get the 'latest and greatest update'. It's should be none of Verizon's or Sprint's or AT&T's or T-Mobile's business to integrate new OS features into their bloatware-infested phone. Oh yeah - I hate bloatware - Apple's few apps that you can't get rid of are bad enough - I don't need carrier-specific bloatware on an Android phone.

Now, if Apple would just allow user-replaceable batteries and MicroSD cards... (Yeah, I know, living in a fantasy realm)

Reactions: Cowby and Owner
Have you used apple before? I did the reverse switch and now will very likely never own an iphone again.

I started with Apple, went to Android a several years later for the larger screens and Swype keyboards, and recently came back to the iPhone after my LG G4 decided to start rebooting endlessly (motherboard defect from manufacture, lots replaced under the 12 month warranty, mine worthless because it failed after 14 months.)

I'm with Diplong on this - Android has a lot of impressive features and specifications, Apple delivers a solution that works reliably and makes it easier to actually do things.

The differences can get pretty stark - Apple doesn't boast about their huge 3000mAh battery - but in consumption tests, they make the ~1700mAh battery they supply last at least as long as the 3000mAh Android through more efficient code and hardware - while also offering more effective processing power.

We may have moved from Think Different to It Just Works, but it is still worth my money.

Agreed, if you use the OS for both and dig in, Apple is now substantially behind in terms of functionality. The only thing they have going for them is that they make pretty hardware, that's it.

There's no question that Apple has been left behind its Android competitors in terms of features, but, the security issues surrounding Android have kept me in the Apple camp. It's completely indefensible that the majority of Android handsets have software support for only a short time before they are abandoned and left open to unpatched bugs.

I never want to be beholden to my carrier to get the 'latest and greatest update'. It's should be none of Verizon's or Sprint's or AT&T's or T-Mobile's business to integrate new OS features into their bloatware-infested phone. Oh yeah - I hate bloatware - Apple's few apps that you can't get rid of are bad enough - I don't need carrier-specific bloatware on an Android phone.

The situation with the carriers is pretty bad, but it's even worse than that. Moving to a phone to the next version of Android OS generally requires driver support for older chipsets, and Qualcomm, which makes most of the ARM-based silicon powering Android phones today, sometimes just decides not to support older hardware even if it is perfectly capable.

Google ceded a lot of control over Android's deployment in order to get it into the marketplace quickly, but I think this strategy has backfired badly. The security situation is only going to get worse as smart phones become a more targeted asset. The combined virtual bureaucracy of carriers, handset makers, Google, and Qualcomm, will all point fingers at each other for why a phone can't be updated. Consumers lose.

There's no question that Apple has been left behind its Android competitors in terms of features, but, the security issues surrounding Android have kept me in the Apple camp. It's completely indefensible that the majority of Android handsets have software support for only a short time before they are abandoned and left open to unpatched bugs.

And this is exactly why I only use a Nexus phone, with Google Fi as my wireless provider.

I'll never go back to a bloatware loaded phone, and I'll never go back to a traditional carrier. Both are far inferior experiences to what I have now.

I think I've had every model of iPhone. I've tried to move to android twice and have always come back. Yes, you give up a lot of control and flexibility, but in return you get stability, security, and a great ecosystem.

Reactions: Cowby
And this is exactly why I only use a Nexus phone, with Google Fi as my wireless provider.

I'll never go back to a bloatware loaded phone, and I'll never go back to a traditional carrier. Both are far inferior experiences to what I have now.

I might have gone the Nexus route, but the last time I bought a phone my choice was either a Nexus 4 or an iPhone 5. I ended up with the iPhone because I hated the glass back on the Nexus 4. To this day I'm still not sure why Google thought it was a good idea to copy one of Apple's dumbest design choices from the iPhone 4 and 4S. Phones get dropped a lot, so why make another huge area that can shatter?

I hear you! Love the *sugar* out of my Nexus 6P. May or may not look at the new Pixel when it's out. Depends what I can sell the 6P for and what I still owe Fi for it.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I had two Android phones and both had reliability issues. One was a Samsung and the other an LG. Features would just quit like the camera just died for no reason. I only used it occasionally, but it was annoying.

My SO has been an Apple fan from the introduction of the Mac in the 80s, but I never liked MacOS. So many people say it's intuitive, but I find it to be the least intuitive computer OS I've ever tried using, and I've been exposed to a wide variety of them over the years. I was resistant to get an iPhone, but she already had one. I bought a used one on Ebay and it has been more reliable than any phone I had as the first owner.

iOS wasn't too bad to get used to, but it gets an F- when it comes to Windows interoperability. Setting up the Androids the way I wanted was simple, just plug it into the computer and it shows up like a thumb drive. Drop the files I want like ringtones, wallpaper, etc. into the right folder and you're done. It took me about 1/2 hour to get every customized the way I wanted.

The first day with the iPhone it took me 8 hours to do the same thing! Everything had to go through iTunes which is a horrible program. Whoever designed that thing should be shot. It's one of the least intuitive things I've ever experienced in nearly 30 years developing software, and I've seen some pretty horrible software designs.

Apparently my SO has fewer problems getting her iPhone to communicate through her iMac. She does SMS on there, which is impossible with an iPhone and Windows (though was possible with my last Android phone).

If there was something that had the reliability of the iPhone with the interoperability of Android and Windows, I'd probably switch tomorrow.

For now I'm fine with the iPhone I have. It's a 5 something, I don't even remember which suffix. When I don't need to get anything off of it, it's reliable, which is the most important thing for me.

I do think Apple has lost it's muse. My SO and I have had a sort of running argument about whether Apple has jumped the shark without Jobs or not, but while Tim Cook is a good steady hand on the helm, he doesn't have a lot of vision. I know Jobs spent a lot of time with Cook in his last days passing on all his ideas, but for Jobs creating a new product was an interactive process. He had the grand vision, but he needed to be in the middle of it as it evolved to tweak it this way and that and make it what it became. Tim Cook has a lot of those nuggets of ideas, but he doesn't have the vision to bring the product all the way from concept to reality like Jobs did.

When Jobs was at the helm, Apple was coming out with something wiz bang every couple of years. The only all new product they've released since Jobs died was the iWatch and that was almost done when he died. The Apple car project is an open secret in Silicon Valley, but it goes through fits and starts because they need someone with the audacity to dream big and the leadership to get everyone marching in the same direction at what may look like a looney goal to most of the world.

There are only a handful of people in the world who have that particular genius. One of them already has a car company. Most of the rest are dabbling in aerospace, automotive tech, or both right now.

Apple has more cash than anyone to throw at a car project and maybe they can make it through just spending, but Apple could produce a car that flops in the marketplace. That what happens when you have the money to make something, but not the vision to make it great.

I could be wrong and the iCar might be in the top ten selling cars in the world in 10 years. Who knows, stranger things have happened.