Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Vision Pro with Tesla autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any possibility of Apple implementing Apple Vision Pro with Tesla self driving? I think one start could be finding a way to turn blind spots like when you look down viewable from the Apple Vision Pro with exterior cameras. Or have HUD and markers like of other cars outlined in red so you can see them better especially at night. Or maybe warn you of the stop sign? Could also implement navigation directions like a giant arrow on the next interstate change or freeway exit so you don't miss it. Like in most driving video games you may see giant arrows pointing the direction you need to go and marking your final destination with giant green barriers like in Crazy Taxi, I think Apple Vision could do the same thing like put a giant arrow or green barrier on the shopping center you need to pull into. Because I do miss exits a lot of times when I talk to my passengers about stuff then didn't realize to exit because maybe my friend put in a McDonalds off the freeway but I thought we were just going home.

I did a test of the Apple Vision Pro and I'd like to see it be used in assisting driving.

I did a test of the Apple Vision Pro and I'd like to see it be used in assisting driving.
1. It would have to be locked down such that it could only be used for driving.
2. It would have to be safe in a crash. How does the headset work out in a frontal collision with airbags going off?
3. In case of headset failure, you've got a driver who loses situational awareness for some period of time.
4. It would likely be a niche product, and not worth the effort to get the laws passed.

Given that the industry is moving in the direction of driving autonomy, it seems a bit off the beaten track to use AVP as a HUD.

We should give handy cap sticker to people using VR for driving
It took me a solid minute. handicap

I’ll bet it’s illegal to wear any VR headset while driving, and for good reason. No chance of either Apple or Tesla developing something like that.
Of course it is illegal since your vision is 100% blocked. Analogy would be a car manufacture wanted to make a car and the windshield, back window and side windows are a metal panels/no glass at all (panted body color). On the inside they put screens and use cameras to project images of the road ahead, behind and all around you on the screens. NHTSA would surly approve that without any questions.:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird
Of course it is illegal since your vision is 100% blocked. Analogy would be a car manufacture wanted to make a car and the windshield, back window and side windows are a metal panels/no glass at all (panted body color). On the inside they put screens and use cameras to project images of the road ahead, behind and all around you on the screens. NHTSA would surly approve that without any questions.:rolleyes:

This would have been a hack to watch YouTube while driving. I mean I just put the YouTube screen to the side so I'm not distracted and when the traffic is cleared and autopilot engaged I just glance to the passenger side. But maybe I won't do it, it does sound dangerous, but what laws are they making for VR headsets, they made more clear laws for phone use while driving but not VR headsets so maybe there is a loop hole for now.

I'm hoping at some point in my life when autonomy is proven to be safe on the highest level that the government or Tesla would allow the driver to watch YouTube / Netflix while in autopilot only. This would be perfect for RVs too, you could just go to sleep in the back so it be easier to do a 5 hour drive from OC to Mammoth and get to the mountain at 8am while sleeping. I can't wake up that early so I have to start driving at 8-10am and I get to the mountain around 2pm gear up and have like one hour to ride. I hope in the next life time this can be a real possibility where anyone could sleep in their car while it drives at 3am. Would be great for road trips, one less motel to stay at, just sleep in your car at 12am and get 12 extra hours of non stop driving.

But my wish is we had those trains that could carry cars like in Europe. That's the simplest form of sleeping in your car and letting the train do most the driving so you could sleep for a few hours.