Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ap1 cars and the automatic rain sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally, we're happy with ours. Sometimes it's a bit reluctant in a very light drizzle, but IMHO it does a very good job and I use RainX on our car.

What's not good is the wipers themselves, particularly in a real downpour. They just aren't fast enough to really keep the windshield clear.

These videos are dead on. Living here in Portland, Oregon, the wipers are on for 7 months out of the year. They are by far the worst auto wipers I have ever had on any car. I am constantly pressing the button on the stalk because the rain comes down just slow enough that the slow full-on position makes the wipers squeak like crazy.- so you MUST use intermittent wipers here. The first auto-wipe setting is totally worthless. New software made zero difference.

I really like my X (AP2), and would definitely consider buying a 3 too, but the terrible auto-wipers make another Tesla a 'no deal' for me. Wipers need to work in the Pacific Northwest. I would advise anyone who lives in the Northwest to forget buying a Tesla because these wipers are so incredibly bad.

Somebody forgot to tell Tesla engineers that the ability to clearly see while you're driving is somewhat important...

Last edited:
Reactions: bell2041