Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 vs. AP 2.5 - Rain Sensing Wipers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody. I'm deciding between keeping my custom order (S75 RWD VIN 221###) or switching to an inventory car (Prod date "Late August" VIN 214###). To begin with, there have been so many changes as of late (Drive Unit?, etc.), I'm a little skeptical of buying something from inventory. Anyway, the Sales Advisor confirms IC has the upgraded 0-60 performance (Updated DU or "Uncorking" of previous DU? Who knows). However he can't say for sure if the Inventory Car in question has the updated AP 2.5.

So can anyone clarify how AP 2.5 would be different from AP 2.0? I don't intend to purchase EAP, but I'd like to have the rain sensing wipers. Another thread suggests that AP 2.5 added back the rain sensor wipers. Can someone confirm this? Are there any other significant differences between AP 2.0 and AP 2.5 for a user who doesn't plan to purchase EAP?

Also, is there a way to tell if an IC has AP 2.5? Tesla can't confirm, but the web site ev-cpo.com specifically lists 2.0 or 2.5 for ICs. Do they know for sure or do they guess based on prod date/VIN? I'm leaning toward waiting for the Custom car because all this research and uncertainty is making my head hurt. Thanks.

The current info is that If the option code list for the car includes APH3, that is the code for AP2.5.

Don't AP2.5 cars have the cabin-facing camera in the rear view mirror, or is that just Model 3?

Also, FYI -- the acronym "IC" is most commonly used for "Instrument Cluster" not really "Inventory Car".. so that could lead to a little confusion.

Some have said the S and X with AP2.5 have the internal camera, but I've not seen a picture that shows this to my satisfaction. Willing to be proven wrong!

I still think that camera on the 3 is part of Tesla Network and not AP2.5. That version is an obvious fisheye at a corner of the inside rearview mirror frame. It's pretty obvious the S and X don't have that exact thing.

Hey everybody. I'm deciding between keeping my custom order (S75 RWD VIN 221###) or switching to an inventory car (Prod date "Late August" VIN 214###). To begin with, there have been so many changes as of late (Drive Unit?, etc.), I'm a little skeptical of buying something from inventory. Anyway, the Sales Advisor confirms IC has the upgraded 0-60 performance (Updated DU or "Uncorking" of previous DU? Who knows). However he can't say for sure if the Inventory Car in question has the updated AP 2.5.

So can anyone clarify how AP 2.5 would be different from AP 2.0? I don't intend to purchase EAP, but I'd like to have the rain sensing wipers. Another thread suggests that AP 2.5 added back the rain sensor wipers. Can someone confirm this? Are there any other significant differences between AP 2.0 and AP 2.5 for a user who doesn't plan to purchase EAP?

Also, is there a way to tell if an IC has AP 2.5? Tesla can't confirm, but the web site ev-cpo.com specifically lists 2.0 or 2.5 for ICs. Do they know for sure or do they guess based on prod date/VIN? I'm leaning toward waiting for the Custom car because all this research and uncertainty is making my head hurt. Thanks.
teslainventory.com also recently added codes for AP2.5 also; Erik said if the code isn't filterable, they don't have any AP2.5 cars.
I'd be surprised to find any cars there, since they would have to be made after August 21 but some inventory ones could be, I suppose. There is an exact option code for this, APH3. This has all been an object of intense discussion for almost a month. :D

Thank you Hank and Boaterva! Great info. I looked up the codes for the inventory car I was considering (build date Aug 17) and it showed APH3. So I think I'll go ahead and try to get that one.

Just realize that the APH3 code we are currently assuming is AP2.5, and everything we find points to that. I strongly urge you to confirm the AP2.5 status with Tesla directly. It's possible (but unlikely) that you could order the car and it doesn't have AP2.5.

Just realize that the APH3 code we are currently assuming is AP2.5, and everything we find points to that. I strongly urge you to confirm the AP2.5 status with Tesla directly. It's possible (but unlikely) that you could order the car and it doesn't have AP2.5.

Unfortunately I tried to confirm that directly, but they could not guarantee that it has AP 2.5. It has a build date of late August so let's hope it does.

I still think that camera on the 3 is part of Tesla Network and not AP2.5. That version is an obvious fisheye at a corner of the inside rearview mirror frame. It's pretty obvious the S and X don't have that exact thing.

Or it could be a reaction to the NHTSA conclusion that Tesla needs to do more than just sense the steering wheel touch from time to time to ensure that the driver is paying attention - one way would be to observe the driver via a camera.

Or it could be a reaction to the NHTSA conclusion that Tesla needs to do more than just sense the steering wheel touch from time to time to ensure that the driver is paying attention - one way would be to observe the driver via a camera.
Oh, sure, but then we would have expected the same hardware in the last hardware change, AP2.5. And that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm getting my X next week, and will look carefully for evidence of anything like it, but all the pics of the rearview mirror I've seen posted so far don't show the same as the 3. There could be a camera *inside* the mirror, but that seems strange when they already have hardware that fills the bill.

So this now causes me a bit of concern. I just ordered an inventory car, literally one hour ago, that was configured the way I wanted it. But I wasn't aware I could be getting a car with an older drive unit. The car I ordered has EAP (which I didn't want and will be 'locked'). So is there a way to tell if this has an outdated drive unit?

Some have said the S and X with AP2.5 have the internal camera, but I've not seen a picture that shows this to my satisfaction. Willing to be proven wrong!

FYI, my dad just took delivery of his S in Denver last Friday. I was out there when he got it. Option code APH3...no interior camera.

Oh, sure, but then we would have expected the same hardware in the last hardware change, AP2.5. And that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm getting my X next week, and will look carefully for evidence of anything like it, but all the pics of the rearview mirror I've seen posted so far don't show the same as the 3. There could be a camera *inside* the mirror, but that seems strange when they already have hardware that fills the bill.
It takes time to change a design and implement in production, it's possible the internal camera is coming soon.

Reactions: boaterva
So this now causes me a bit of concern. I just ordered an inventory car, literally one hour ago, that was configured the way I wanted it. But I wasn't aware I could be getting a car with an older drive unit. The car I ordered has EAP (which I didn't want and will be 'locked'). So is there a way to tell if this has an outdated drive unit?
I've heard that Tesla is retrofitting inventory 75 cars with whatever is needed to get the faster acceleration. What did you order and what is the stated acceleration on the listing page?

PS> The fact that it can be retrofitted means that at some point in the future this retrofit may become available to all 75's, for a price of course.

• Funny
Reactions: BigD0g
I ordered a base S75 model with multi-pattern seats. My only upgrade was silver paint, but the car came with the EAP. They will disable the EAP and as a result $5,000 will come off the price. I found out a short while ago that the car was manufactured on 9/8. So it just came into inventory. So I'd suspect I have the latest build items.

I've heard that Tesla is retrofitting inventory 75 cars with whatever is needed to get the faster acceleration. What did you order and what is the stated acceleration on the listing page?

PS> The fact that it can be retrofitted means that at some point in the future this retrofit may become available to all 75's, for a price of course.

I wouldn't pay more than $1000 to gain 1 second in acceleration. seems a bit trivial to me, but thats just my two cents ;)

I wouldn't pay more than $1000 to gain 1 second in acceleration. seems a bit trivial to me, but thats just my two cents ;)
Considering past history:
* S85 to P85 was 1s difference and people paid $10K-$25K for that
* Original Ludicrous was less than half a second less and people paid $10K for it
* P85D owners paid $5K for Ludicrous which was an extra ~50hp

So I think there will be takers, though how many will depend of course on price but also what that upgrade really means. I paid $5K for ludicrous purely for higher speed acceleration boos, 0-25 was fast enough already - I was waiting for the passing speeds 691hp upgrade that never came. So, if the 75 upgrade was to show become available for our car, whether or not we'd be interested would depend on price ($1K sounds reasonable) and whether it does anything to add power between 35-80mph.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: croman
literally no one has answered the rain sensing wipers question, the initial purpose of this thread.

and we'll repeat the initial tesla line: rain sensing wipers will come eventually with an upgrade to software. has nothing to do with AP 2.0 vs 2.5. The only difference is the CPU/GPU used in that system.

We'll have to manually adjust our wipers like the rest of the plebs out there in the meantime. Or trade in our AP2.0 cars for 1.0 cars.

Reactions: boaterva