Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone think the metal roof will come painted black?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jayc

Mar 28, 2016
UK
So we sort of know that Model 3 will have Three roof options. With metal roof option, that small section of painted metal roof would probably look better if it came painted black, anyone else think the same?

So we sort of know that Model 3 will have Three roof options. With metal roof option, that small section of painted metal roof would probably look better if it came painted black, anyone else think the same?

It all depends on the pricing of the base model but I think I'll be going for the solid roof to save on cost. I'm going for the metallic blue paint option so I would expect the roof to match. I just hope the front windscreen still goes back as far as it does on the prototype photos.

I'm not sure I understand how the metal roof would work... From all the pics I see the top of the car is made of two pieces of glass. One with the windshield and one with the rear windshield both meeting at the B pillar over the crossbeam.

For the other two roof options I'm assuming the rear glass is going to be shorter. I understand how this is done on the X and due to it's length it looks ok, but I can't imaging it on the Model 3 without is looking kind of strange unless it was painted black....
TP72a9.jpg

Forgive the crap photoshop job...

Also, what good is a sunroof for the driver in this position?
Or would you imagine both the front and back glass be shorter?

Good feedback.

Only comment regarding comparison with Model S is the roof area is substantial in MS so would look good irrespective of whether it is colored black or not. In the case of Model 3, the actual roof section is actually very small compared to rear and front glasses so might look odd if body colored. That is why I asked.

I do realize most might want either full glass or panoramic but since I am very sensitive to sunlight and for the added benefit of better insulation during cold winter, I might go with the metal roof option.

Last edited:
Reactions: slipnslider
Also, what good is a sunroof for the driver in this position?
Or would you imagine both the front and back glass be shorter?

No the roof is THREE pieces of glass. The windshield, the piece over the driver, and the piece over the back seat and trunk. The metal or sunroof option would occupy the space over the driver, NOT over the back seat as you have drawn.

Thank you kindly.

No the roof is THREE pieces of glass. The windshield, the piece over the driver, and the piece over the back seat and trunk. The metal or sunroof option would occupy the space over the driver, NOT over the back seat as you have drawn.

Thank you kindly.
ah yes, it's hard to see that seam in some of the pics.
Much more clear in this shot:
model-3-roof-tesla-party-featured.jpg

What I don't understand is why to charge extra cost for the total glass configuration...

One of the reasons to choose the whole glass roof is to improve manufacturability, thus, reducing cost.

Isn't the metal roof going to cost them more than the all glass roof?

Of course if they're able to get extra money from the customers...

Reactions: Red Sage