Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not getting Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only car in the videos posted that did not use a proper test target was the Tesla. We had a discussion about this a while back when that video was posted. Worth reminding people that a cardboard box is not a proper test target.

Here's a spy shot of Tesla doing similar testing with a Model S with a proper test target:

Proper test target? Let me make sure that anything I'm about to hit falls into that category. Tesla's active safety features simply do not work as well as most cars.

Proper test target? Let me make sure that anything I'm about to hit falls into that category. Tesla's active safety features simply do not work as well as most cars.
You missed the point. Did you even look at the videos? Only the Tesla video linked in the quoted post used a cardboard box as a test target. All of the other cars would "fail" in that test too.

The systems are designed to avoid/reduce damage from hitting cars and pedestrians, not cardboard boxes.

And the whole basis of the scientific method is repeatable tests so that different systems can be consistently compared. The post quoted completely misses that.

You missed the point. Did you even look at the videos? Only the Tesla video linked in the quoted post used a cardboard box as a test target. All of the other cars would "fail" in that test too.

The systems are designed to avoid/reduce damage from hitting cars and pedestrians, not cardboard boxes.

And the whole basis of the scientific method is repeatable tests so that different systems can be consistently compared. The post quoted completely misses that.

Indeed. A cardboard box has effectively no radar signature. A human does (although they're translucent). A car shows up on radar like a beacon.

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to get an idea on how many people do not plan on getting Enhanced Auto Pilot when they get their Model 3. I have been going back and forth on this. Sometimes I think I want to get it now and other times I think that I should just save my money. My wife and I do not do a lot of long drives and I know this is where many people who have autopilot is best served. Also, I was really wanting the pre-collision mitigation and from what I understand, this will come standard on the car.

Wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks!

I'd maybe buy it for $1k. $5k? Forget about it. Iceland is a terrible environment for EAP. That particular combination of "situations that make things hard for EAP" and "mistakes will kill you". And I'm not sure how much I'd trust it even in good conditions anyway.

BTW, if you really wanted to assess interest, you should have posted a poll :)
Pole located here Will you buy Enhanced Autopilot on your 3 at purchase?

I won't be getting it at this time, an extra $5k for a feature that I won't be taking advantage of at all times is more than I can afford to add. Maybe some time down the road I'll pay the extra $1k to unlock it, especially if additional features continue to get added to it.

I'd rather get the standard with PUP than standard with EAP, for example.

"It is said that it drives like a Porsche! So lets get software updates so that I don't have to drive it!" I have never said.

I'll keep that money and gain a lot more enjoyment driving myself in a very nice car.

I am not going to get EAP when I pick up my 3. Financially I don't have the budget, and I don't want to add extra $5k into my loan. Secondly, I enjoy driving and esp. it's a Tesla =). Yet, I don't rule out that one day I might add the EAP and FSD back into my 3 when I am tired of driving or not able to drive as much.

"It is said that it drives like a Porsche! So lets get software updates so that I don't have to drive it!" I have never said.

I'll keep that money and gain a lot more enjoyment driving myself in a very nice car.

Doesn't matter how good a car drives when you're in stop and go traffic for 10 miles each way. EAP is going to save lives in all new ways if it can keep me from murdering someone.