Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone interested in charging at Toronto Motorsports Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good find! Did you end up getting quotes from the two electricians?

Yes. One was ~$600 and the other $1375.

So best case if we can install beside the panel (and not have to purchase a pedestal) is ~2400$ with taxes!

Cost is going to jump quite a bit though if the owner really wants the EVSE to be installed on the nearby building. I'm going to take measurements tonight (distance from panel -> building) and see if it will be necessary to cut pavement and trench.... I think I remember the surface being gravel in that area but am not sure...

Once I know the ballpark cost for installing it on the building, I can present the owner with both options and get final approval.

Does anyone know if a CS-90 // TS-70 be installed somehow on a wooden hydro pole? I would think you could rig something up via plywood and metal strapping etc.

The CS-90 has four mounting holes, one in each corner. The back is flat. If you could make some kind of flat bracket and attach it securely to the pole by whatever means, then you could just screw the EVSE to it.

I presume the TS-70 is just an older model, and mounts similarly. From the picture it certainly looks similar.

Thanks Doug. I've read somewhere on here it's identical to the CS-90... (TS-70 is also known as the Roadster HPC, clipper creek has replaced the roadster connector/cable with J1772).

Worst case scenario is that I have to get something made by my buddy who owns a machine shop. Should be a whole lot less than the 600$ it costs for the pedestal...

The CS-90 has four mounting holes, one in each corner. The back is flat. If you could make some kind of flat bracket and attach it securely to the pole by whatever means, then you could just screw the EVSE to it.

I presume the TS-70 is just an older model, and mounts similarly. From the picture it certainly looks similar.

The electronics are a little different in the HPC compared to the CS-90, but it works similarly. I put a J1772 on mine and it works just fine on the Model S.

- - - Updated - - -

I just spoke with Chris Misch of Sun Country Highway. He asked me to point out their sponsorship program https://suncountryhighway.ca/chargers/sponsor-a-charger/

He also offered a special discounted price of $1500 plus freight for this project. That puts it pretty much on a par with the TS-70 you found. Full warranty included.

I think that is only 37$ more expensive. Buying inside Canada and having a usable warranty is probably worth every penny.

How do I contact Chris?

The electronics are a little different in the HPC compared to the CS-90, but it works similarly. I put a J1772 on mine and it works just fine on the Model S.

- - - Updated - - -

I just spoke with Chris Misch of Sun Country Highway. He asked me to point out their sponsorship program Sponsor a Charger | Sun Country Highway

He also offered a special discounted price of $1500 plus freight for this project. That puts it pretty much on a par with the TS-70 you found. Full warranty included.

A brief update:

I met Uli, the owner of the track in person on Saturday. I showed him where I preferred the EVSE to be installed and he had no objections. They were doing some 1/2 mile runs on the drag strip that day, and he asked if I was interested. I was lined up next to a Chrysler 300C when a Nova just in front of me spilled transmission fluid down the entire length of the strip. Cleanup was going to take >30 minutes so I ended up heading out since I was spending time with the family that day.

I'm calling his electrician (the guy familiar with the setup out there etc.) to get his approval for the project in about an hour. Should that go well, I'll order the CS-90 today and call my electrician to schedule installation.

Showed up on my doorstep this morning...

box.jpg

Now to schedule installation. :)

Nice work! We need to line up a track day before winter.

Agreed! I just chatted with the owner and he said Thursday was fine, he's trying to confirm that someone will be there to let us through the gates. I should know definitively within the next few days.

I was planning to go to TMP with a friend on a Monday later this month for "advanced driver training". It's an open lapping session w/ instruction available. If you can take a day off on a Monday let me know and I'll let you know when I'm going. If not perhaps we can plan an evening or weekend Tesla track session.

Cooler weather should help get an extra lap before the power limit kicks in.

cs-90.jpg

The CS-90 is now installed and fully operational. I added it to plugshare in case there are any EV wanabee-racers out there who don't frequent TMC. :)

The only bad news is that the 14-50 didn't get installed today due to a miss-communication. Hopefully it will be installed soon. I'll post a separate thread about a track day on September 30th.

Last edited: