Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone getting bored with their car since there are few performance mods?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still think my P3D- is the greatest car I have ever owned, and I can't think of anything to replace it with, but lately I think I am getting bored with the car. Once I did PPF, tint, rims, and suspension there really isn't much left to do in terms of upgrades (I am not going to track the car so the race stuff would be a waste of money). There are really no performance gains to be had at this point in terms of acceleration or feel I just stomp it and it goes really fast over and over again.

When I worked on ICE cars there was always a new intake, exhaust, header, cams, bigger turbo, tune, short shifter, etc... out there to keep me interested in the project. It was obviously expensive and time consuming to do so but it was a hobby that I enjoyed. If you like to tinker with your car what do y'all do with your model 3 after basic mods have been done?

Gonna take awhile for the engineers to figure out hacks to the software or ways to upgrade components...

Obviously tesla couldn't do this for legal reasons, but I'd like to see "auto-launching" as a selectable feature.

The car can already detect when a light turns green, no reason (other than the obvious safety concerns) it couldn't give it full beans the millisecond it detects the light change.

Basically a reaction time hack

Get a project ice car. Tinkering and hair pulling for days. Then at least you have another option for transportation when the superchargers are full of chevy bolts.
That has crossed my mind. An old EK hatch would be fun and take me back to my teens. I hate paying personal property tax and insurance on a second car that would barely get used but I guess it might be the price of entry.

Ahhh, the ole' first world problem conundrum, LOL. I totally get it. Having owned a very modified Corvette, I can see that. Although I must say that the quiet "stealth" really appeals to me now.
Anything mentioned on a Tesla forum related to owning a Tesla is a first world problem. But yes, it is a nice problem to have that I am bored with the lack of modification options on my $50,000 car that runs an 11 second quarter mile with 4 passengers in the car.

I actually had a buddy who spent over a year modifying an S14 (240sx) with custom paint, a skyline engine, rims, suspension, etc... only to sell it at a loss a couple months after it was done because the project was complete and there is nothing left to do to it. It is a sickness... haha

Get a very custom paint job, candy apple something. It not the car its the color.
Put some different meats on. Yep just you wait for some custom inverters
with silicon carbide. Soon we be able to do unthinkable stuff to
our cars and the folks in the hood can come over to drink beer and
give advice. Me I kinda like not having bloody hands, at least for now.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Sorry, what's a P3D?
Performance Model 3 Dual Motor. Additionally, back in the day we would distinguish between a P3D+ and a P3D- (stealth performance) based on whether you had the performance upgrade on the car with the red calipers,race pedals, spoiler, and 20" rims. I dunno if a lot of people still use it but I could never bring myself to call the car an M3 out of respect to the iconic BMW so I've always used that.

Anything mentioned on a Tesla forum related to owning a Tesla is a first world problem. But yes, it is a nice problem to have that I am bored with the lack of modification options on my $50,000 car that runs an 11 second quarter mile with 4 passengers in the car.

I actually had a buddy who spent over a year modifying an S14 (240sx) with custom paint, a skyline engine, rims, suspension, etc... only to sell it at a loss a couple months after it was done because the project was complete and there is nothing left to do to it. It is a sickness... haha
It was the same issue for some of my Corvette acquaintances. They forgot to just drive it and enjoy it. I think my obsession started with the first F&F movie. I had to undergo the proverbial 12-step program, to get off the hamster wheel. LOL.

Take the time and money you used to spend on modifying cars and do something else with it. Travel, get a boat, take up skydiving, scuba diving, deep sea diving.
See Iceland, Follow the Malt Whiskey Trail in Scotland. Get your pilot's license. Discover new *sugar*. Your life isn't over, it's just starting.
I was a machinist by trade for 40 years or so, and a real gearhead too. Do I miss it, yeah, sometimes. But I'm never going to have a full machine shop in my basement, and these little home shop toys don't work for me. I've moved on, and I'm content. If I wanted to, I could go back and do some part time work any time I want. So there's that. 🙂

I still think my P3D- is the greatest car I have ever owned, and I can't think of anything to replace it with, but lately I think I am getting bored with the car. Once I did PPF, tint, rims, and suspension there really isn't much left to do in terms of upgrades (I am not going to track the car so the race stuff would be a waste of money). There are really no performance gains to be had at this point in terms of acceleration or feel I just stomp it and it goes really fast over and over again.

When I worked on ICE cars there was always a new intake, exhaust, header, cams, bigger turbo, tune, short shifter, etc... out there to keep me interested in the project. It was obviously expensive and time consuming to do so but it was a hobby that I enjoyed. If you like to tinker with your car what do y'all do with your model 3 after basic mods have been done?
Yeah you did the equivalent of turning on cheat mode in a video game and after 15 min of destroying the enemies with infinite health and ammo realized you ruined it.

You are missing the most important component - you can and SHOULD upgrade the nut behind the wheel!

Sign-up for DEs in your area (check you local SCCA, BMW, or Porsche car clubs), and participate in autoX and track events.
The amount of performance gains you can unlock with driver skill improvement will dwarf anything you can achieve by throwing $$$ at the parts.
Best of all, those performance and safety gains are fully transferrable across all cars you will ever own or drive!

HTH,
a