Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else having fun trying to get the best wh/miles possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been over a month since my purchase of my sr+. I find myself driving conservatively trying to get the best wh/miles possible. I do keep up with traffic flow and try not to be a bother to other drivers. But I do find it fun to see how low I can get the wh/miles. My average commute is 8 miles one way and I have been averaging about 185. My total since purchase is 740 total miles with 201 wh/miles average. I expect this number to really drop in the colder months

My previous car was a Mustang gt (416 hp) so I am used to have some fun with a fast car. Funny how my M3 has made me a much cautionary, safer, more courteous driver.

It has been over a month since my purchase of my sr+. I find myself driving conservatively trying to get the best wh/miles possible. I do keep up with traffic flow and try not to be a bother to other drivers. But I do find it fun to see how low I can get the wh/miles. My average commute is 8 miles one way and I have been averaging about 185. My total since purchase is 740 total miles with 201 wh/miles average. I expect this number to really drop in the colder months

My previous car was a Mustang gt (416 hp) so I am used to have some fun with a fast car. Funny how my M3 has made me a much cautionary, safer, more courteous driver.

After 3 months with my SR+ I have had trips driving over 100 miles of 2 lane highway that came in at 182 wh/mile. My runs from Hopkinsville, KY, to Nashville, TN and back on the interstate have pushed my 6,919 mile average to 242 wh/mile. Not burning premium gas I feel like I'm almost traveling for free, so tend to see some elevated speeds. I'm still amazed by the cars ability to leap around slow traffic on the steep hills that have a 3rd lane added for the vehicles having trouble climbing the grade. No problem maintaining speed or passing on any hill that I've come across.

I do try to take it easy once in a while to see how low I can make the numbers go. But most of the time, I have the AC blasting and running down the roads at 70-80 mph with little regard for power consumption. After 29,500 miles my lifetime usage is 254 wh/mile.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Absolutely not.

Having so much fun flooring this thing all over
This, driving like a drugged grandma in the way of everyone is NOT my idea of fun, and it feeds the EV are slow perception. Popping off from a stop light before everyone else is more like fun to me. If electricity went to 95¢ a kWh I might start hypermiling but NOT NOW. Also I get free "juice" at my building so it makes hitting a higher Wh per mile even more fun.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
My opinion is that any suitably trained chimpanzee or orangutan can be taught to stomp on the accelerator. It takes a lot of practice to get good at driving economically but not particularly slowly.
Jul_5_2019.jpg

You should do what works for you, but if you drive it like it's a Prius you're missing out on part of the Tesla experience.

Over 126,000 miles? Incredible! Have you written your experience on how the vehicle is holding up with all those miles? Do you have a link?
Because there are Model S with over 400,000 miles, I never thought it necessary to do anything like that. 126K miles is just not all that far. To think that's a long way means (I think) you've been listening to too much CNBC and other FUD channels.
As far as holding up, we go on trips all the time and don't even think about it. The only issue is the goo leaking from the display (common to 2013 MS). When I'm positive that the yellow from the new display has been eliminated and there are no other side effects, I'll replace it.

Because there are Model S with over 400,000 miles, I never thought it necessary to do anything like that. 126K miles is just not all that far. To think that's a long way means (I think) you've been listening to too much CNBC and other FUD channels.
As far as holding up, we go on trips all the time and don't even think about it. The only issue is the goo leaking from the display (common to 2013 MS). When I'm positive that the yellow from the new display has been eliminated and there are no other side effects, I'll replace it.
Ah no. I view everything that I read with a strainer. I always look for a motive behind an opinion especially when it comes to emotional subjects like ‘which is the best way to propel a vehicle forward.’.

I thought you would have some interesting info to share concerning the m3 after all those miles. For some vehicles, that would the limit of its longevity.

Ah no. I view everything that I read with a strainer. I always look for a motive behind an opinion especially when it comes to emotional subjects like ‘which is the best way to propel a vehicle forward.’.

I thought you would have some interesting info to share concerning the m3 after all those miles. For some vehicles, that would the limit of its longevity.
Mine is an MS85, not an M3.

Now that the V8 Mustang kind of fun is gone, you are searching for fun in the M3 SR+, which now involves seeing how energy efficient you can be. I know the feeling. It is also called getting old. ;) I transitioned from a convertible sports car but went with the M3P so when I am in the mood for "pin me to the back of the seat" kind of fun it would still deliver but I do miss the exhaust note and rowing my own gears at times but the Tesla M3 entertains in other ways.

After a few weeks of owning our 3 with 740 miles, I still have yet to pay one cent for energy. SDG&E told us on Friday we're still producing more electricity than we're using.
Since there's no point in "saving", I find myself with my foot into the accelerator ( finally quit saying the gas). Trying to keep the battery healthy by full cycling as much as possible. Only been on one long drive that had a super charger stop and thanks to free super charger miles...
I keep the Aero hubcaps on for our long trip. It's fun to be able to go from an all out road warrior to Mr. Conservative driver in the same car. Haven't put on enough miles to get a good picture, then again I'm having too much fun driving to worry.:D