Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any 16V compatible portable power stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to do a 4,000 mile / two week cross country tour. Will be packing my laptop, insulated hotplate for heating up food, and a 30qt portable fridge/refrigerator (IceCo, BougeEV, etc). I also have a BESTEK 150 power inverter. BESTEK informed me that my inverter is not compatible with Tesla's 16V outlet. I figured I would just pickup a Jackery, EcoFlow, etc. power station for both battery backup when my MY is off and to ensure 100% compatibility. Jackery wrote back to me to say their products aren't 16V compatible. I'm fearing I will be hearing the same from EcoFlow. Granted I can just recharge the power stations during my overnight stops but sure would be nice to keep the battery charged up while on the road.

Hoping to hear back on suggestions on some real world instances of where your setups would help address my power requirements and constraints.

Thanks in advance.

I do understand how devices get power - in the case of the 16V outlet, the device needs to be designed to accept (or at least tolerate) 16V or it won't work; the device probably has something that converts the input voltage to voltages needed for internal components, but that circuit MUST tolerate 16V or it won't work. So yes, there are many devices designed for 12V that will work with 16V, but not all.

The comparison you offered with Superchargers is inaccurate, as there is communication between the car and the charger to agree on voltage, current, etc. That isn't the case here.
To be clear, the device does decide how much current it draws, but it has no control over the input voltage.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Upvote 0
Rather than start a new thread ... I'm looking for easiest solution for keeping my starlink up and running during power outages. I haven't tried my inexpensive 12v power inverter that that does not give an input range. Before I spend the $$, it sounds like Jackery works with 16v. Is that correct? Any other inverter devices recommended? I believe Starlink runs about 75W max. I don't need a big inverter.

Upvote 0
Another thing to keep in mind is the 16V outlets are rated at 12A continuous and 16A peak. That’s 200-250W. Converting to 120V is only 2A so know your power needs. If you need more than 2A then having a power bank that is basically trickle charging while discharging is the only option. Direct connection to the battery could void warranty.

Upvote 0
i have charged my jackery with my tesla no issues, the tesla adjusts the voltage to match what the plug is asking same with my Iceco cooler no issues at all, the jackery will charger perfect off the 12v in the trunk and then you can use the jackery to power everything else as well. i use a 1500 jackery for the last year without issue

the device is doing the adjusting just like when you plug a tesla in to charge, the car tells the charger what it wants not the otherway around, same thing with the 12v, the jackery tells the car what it wants same thing with all the coolers out there that so many tesla owners are using with no issues

Incorrect. It communicates with the charger but the vehicle tells the charger what amps and volts it can take in. The charger is just supplying power. Just like the 12v is supplying power. Just like how the Tesla mobile charger just supplies power and the onboard charger does all the work. The devices that work with teslas 16v are because the devices themselves are using microchips that allow different voltages to still pass its tests and charge from. The vehicle is just the dummy saying hey I’m hear I can offer 16v let me know what you want.

Are you reading what I type lol. The cars 16v puts out that. The device requesting the power does the managing in this case the fridge. I am fully correct in what I explained. You read it wrong. The device requesting the power always does the power management. Just like a Tesla requesting super charger power. Or a jackery requesting the 16v power.

You first said that the Tesla low voltage system adjusts, and then switched to the device adjusts what voltage it can accept. You're not even consistent with what you're saying, and yet you are claiming other people in this thread aren't "reading" it properly. Not only are your posts inconsistent, they're not even well written or phrased to the point that its ridiculously confusing what you're claiming at the heart of it...

If there were some form of communication between any devices being connected to the low-voltage power system in a 16v Tesla, then there would almost certainly be a ratified and accepted standard for that communication and you'd bet that manufacturers would plaster that somewhere on their packaging and/or device... USB Power Delivery has a specific communication stack to determine how much power each side can handle. EVSE, as you also pointed out, has its own handshaking/communication system that's somewhat similar.

The cigarette lighter port in current Tesla vehicles does not and will never have some form of advanced logic to handshake and agree on a specific supply voltage. Its either 12v with the old sealed Lead Acid battery supply or 16v with the newer Lithium Ion battery supply, and some form of a fuse or breaker that resets after a specified period of time...

As others have said and eluded to, some devices (like the Jackery, for example) allow for multiple input/charging voltages and adjust their downstream power delivery accordingly via their on-board circuitry. I think this is what you are really getting at, but the way you're trying to describe and explain it is missing the mark entirely.

Upvote 0
You first said that the Tesla low voltage system adjusts, and then switched to the device adjusts what voltage it can accept. You're not even consistent with what you're saying, and yet you are claiming other people in this thread aren't "reading" it properly. Not only are your posts inconsistent, they're not even well written or phrased to the point that its ridiculously confusing what you're claiming at the heart of it...

If there were some form of communication between any devices being connected to the low-voltage power system in a 16v Tesla, then there would almost certainly be a ratified and accepted standard for that communication and you'd bet that manufacturers would plaster that somewhere on their packaging and/or device... USB Power Delivery has a specific communication stack to determine how much power each side can handle. EVSE, as you also pointed out, has its own handshaking/communication system that's somewhat similar.

The cigarette lighter port in current Tesla vehicles does not and will never have some form of advanced logic to handshake and agree on a specific supply voltage. Its either 12v with the old sealed Lead Acid battery supply or 16v with the newer Lithium Ion battery supply, and some form of a fuse or breaker that resets after a specified period of time...

As others have said and eluded to, some devices (like the Jackery, for example) allow for multiple input/charging voltages and adjust their downstream power delivery accordingly via their on-board circuitry. I think this is what you are really getting at, but the way you're trying to describe and explain it is missing the mark entirely.
correct thats exactly what i said, And yes by tesla in the first one i was miss typing and ment the device. "the device is doing the adjusting" aka a jackery or an iceco or the 5 other types of devices i have used with the 16v and had no issues

Upvote 0
Rather than start a new thread ... I'm looking for easiest solution for keeping my starlink up and running during power outages. I haven't tried my inexpensive 12v power inverter that that does not give an input range. Before I spend the $$, it sounds like Jackery works with 16v. Is that correct? Any other inverter devices recommended? I believe Starlink runs about 75W max. I don't need a big inverter.
Hi. I just saw this. Jackery directly told me their products aren’t 16V compatible, but mine works with our 2023 MY LR flawlessly. Considering the extra battery capacity and extra ports for what I paid for a refurbished unit on Amazon, I feel I got a steal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It sounds like the cigarette lighter only outputs a measly 2A at 16V, so that's not worth a whole lot.

What is the amperage output from the 16V battery? How much are you able to charge one of these Jackery, EcoFlow, etc. power stations and how drained is the 16V battery afterwards?

Upvote 0
Hi. I just saw this. Jackery directly told me their products aren’t 16V compatible, but mine works with our 2023 MY LR flawlessly. Considering the extra battery capacity and extra ports for what I paid for a refurbished unit on Amazon, I feel I got a steal.
A "12V" car electrical system can be nearly 15 V while charging, so anything that plugs into "12V" has to be able to handle a range of voltages to start with. The peak voltage on the 16 V system is probably something like 19 V. Power stations regulate the voltage to their batteries and their own outputs, and invert the voltage when making AC, so they already have switching supplies on their inputs. Any switcher that can survive 15 V but fails at 19 V is running with way too little margin, in my opinion. I would go so far as to say there is no way they would get UL certification with that little voltage margin. So at the higher voltage, it might not make UL certification, but I would be very surprised if it can't actually handle it.

Something like an air pump on the other hand, where the raw voltage is applied directly to a motor, could well overheat if attached to the 16 V system, but any power station that can't handle that is, in my opinion, doin' it wrong.

Upvote 0
It sounds like the cigarette lighter only outputs a measly 2A at 16V, so that's not worth a whole lot.

What is the amperage output from the 16V battery? How much are you able to charge one of these Jackery, EcoFlow, etc. power stations and how drained is the 16V battery afterwards?
It charges the same amount of time when I use my Tesla or my Palisade with the 12v no difference I have noticed. If you are trying to charge up the jackery I would recommend doing it while driving the vehicle just like you would a ICE vehicle compared to having the car sitting there charging it up. We used our iceco fridge plugged in for well over 48 hours while the Tesla was parked in sentry mode and it didn’t use any more noticeable charge than it would with just sentry mode on. If you look on jackerys site it will tell you the charge time with the 12v and mine have been spot on with that estimate for the different ones I have

Upvote 0

6.9Ah, 99wh Is what’s on the part number sticker.

I remember reading somewhere that connecting directly to the battery can void a warranty or something. Might want to check your manual for the actual wording. I was looking at powering an inverter for a tailgating TV and realized the 12v socket wouldn’t provide enough power so looked into clamping directly to the battery and remember something to that effect. Also, it is quite difficult to get to with the bio defense air filter assembly. The old 12v with standard hvac was quite simple, one cover and you had access to it.

Upvote 0
My refrigerator description on Amazon is "12 Volt Refrigerator, 26 Quart / 25L Portable Refrigerator Freezer, Car Fridge With 12/24V DC Cord and 110V AC Adapter,"

I have a question in to the manufacturer but someone already has one and they have not responded in a month.

Does the 12/24V imply that it can handle 16 volts ?

Upvote 0
My refrigerator description on Amazon is "12 Volt Refrigerator, 26 Quart / 25L Portable Refrigerator Freezer, Car Fridge With 12/24V DC Cord and 110V AC Adapter,"

I have a question in to the manufacturer but someone already has one and they have not responded in a month.

Does the 12/24V imply that it can handle 16 volts ?
Apologies for posting this here it was meant for the other 16 volt thread and I can't seem to delete it.

Upvote 0