Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-EV / anti-Tesla advertising from competitors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many Lexus owners will defect to Tesla??? I am patiently waiting for the Model X unless something big gives up on my RX400h I sell my Lexus for a Model S. My Lexus dealer service dept. saw my license plate frame already and my service writer has asked if I got my Tesla yet. The truth be a Lexus valet saw my license plate frame and excitedly told me they had a Tesla through the shop. I ask my service writer where is the Tesla, his manager WHERE IS THE TESLA??? both know nothing. Heading out towards sales I spotted the Roadster. Photographed it to death and went for Used Car Sales immediately!!! PS outdoor temp. was in the 20's and colder with the wind. I educated the salesman on Tesla and I was the first that knew what it was!!! May the owner enjoy 969!!!

The new owners of 969 are indeed enjoying the Roadster, and we thank you for the assist herbvdh!

It was supposed to tide us over to Model X also. Now that we have it, we're figuring out how we keep it along with the Model X.

What is particularly sad is they seem to be attacking limited range compliance cars with this ad, not Tesla. Tesla can easily counter their objections in a sales discussion: "Charge overnight, plenty of range for daily driving" + "free superchargers".

Swing and a miss.

Lots already have...(our family replaced two "LexI" with two Teslas)...I am sure there will be tens of thousands to follow in the coming years (as Toyota / Lexus continue to bury their heads in the sand with respect to EVs)

How many Lexus owners will defect to Tesla??? I am patiently waiting for the Model X unless something big gives up on my RX400h I sell my Lexus for a Model S. My Lexus dealer service dept. saw my license plate frame already and my service writer has asked if I got my Tesla yet. The truth be a Lexus valet saw my license plate frame and excitedly told me they had a Tesla through the shop. I ask my service writer where is the Tesla, his manager WHERE IS THE TESLA??? both know nothing. Heading out towards sales I spotted the Roadster. Photographed it to death and went for Used Car Sales immediately!!! PS outdoor temp. was in the 20's and colder with the wind. I educated the salesman on Tesla and I was the first that knew what it was!!! May the owner enjoy 969!!!

I really don't see anything wrong from a business perspective with the attack ads that Lexus has put together. Lexus obviously thinks that EVs threaten its current business model, which is very dependent on hybrids. Thus, it is engaging in the kind of ad war that occurs in many of lines of business (e.g., Samsung attacking the iPad, Coke v. Pepsi). Does Toyota really care if the ad is misleading? I doubt it.

The other problem is that Toyota is alone in on the battlefield. Tesla isn't advertising, and the other EV makers aren't very active in support of their EVs. EVs are making in-roads on hybrids and standard ICE vehicle because they are compelling products, but EVs are still a drop in the bucket. Sure, the free press that Tesla gets has helped make the brand, but it also hurts it from time-to-time as well (e.g., Tesla fires, Tesla accidents, Consumer Reports reliability issues, etc.). At some point, Tesla will be forced to advertise in order to reach the billions of people of that never heard of it. After all, the goal of selling hundreds of thousands of cars a year isn't likely to be achieved by word of mouth alone.

Counterpoint:

Here's the first and only time my car has been to a place like this. Total spent? $1 for air.
090c7264170bf6dfb21a4ec715cceda2.jpg

I really don't see anything wrong from a business perspective with the attack ads that Lexus has put together. Lexus obviously thinks that EVs threaten its current business model, which is very dependent on hybrids. Thus, it is engaging in the kind of ad war that occurs in many of lines of business (e.g., Samsung attacking the iPad, Coke v. Pepsi). Does Toyota really care if the ad is misleading? I doubt it.
I don't believe in doing business that way. Just because "everyone does it" doesn't mean it's ethical to advertise in a misleading fashion.

Did Google ever advertise it's search engine ?

Did Apple advertise it's iPhone ?

Google's search engine isn't for sale. It's free to use.

There have been many iPhone commercials. :confused:

How many Lexus owners will defect to Tesla??? I am patiently waiting for the Model X unless something big gives up on my RX400h I sell my Lexus for a Model S.

Our 2008 RX400h is also destined to depart in favor of a Model X (unless Tesla really drops the ball by making it too expensive or with too small a battery)

Snafu - as expected when a new and worthy competitor shows up, somehow the old regime finds a way to backfire-advertise for them. Why should Tesla spend money advertising when others, out of fear, will do it for them?

I really don't see anything wrong from a business perspective with the attack ads that Lexus has put together. Lexus obviously thinks that EVs threaten its current business model, which is very dependent on hybrids. Thus, it is engaging in the kind of ad war that occurs in many of lines of business (e.g., Samsung attacking the iPad, Coke v. Pepsi).

But there's a critical distinction: Lexus isn't attacking its competitors, it's attacking an entire class of vehicle. A more appropriate analogy would be Samsung attacking tablets, or Coke attacking diet soda. Ethics aside, it's just incredibly stupid. If you ever enter that market, the first obstacle is your own prior ads. It makes you look like Luddite morons -- and rightly so.

What Lexus should be communicating to potential buyers is, "our technology is better than anyone else's." What they actually communicated with that ad is, "we have no product in the EV market, and we have nothing in development for the next ten years. We're so certain our engineers can never solve this problem that we're willing to mock the market rather than enter it."

Oh well. It's like politicians promissing to abstain from negative campaigning on tv. Just to be interrupted mid-sentence by their own advertisements, calling names to their competitors. Such is life, I'm afraid.
Fools will be fools, that's the part they chose to play. Toyota seems to be getting quite good at it.

First they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win...
+1
This is actually good news. That they recognize EVs as a threat is a major achievement. This ad is a normal and expected step in the process of society's changeover. The resistance is only just beginning. I am stunned by the number of ads that are running for "OIL" as a "GOOD" thing - it means jobs, independence, nothing but "OIL = GOOD" over and over again. That lady in the ad (surely everyone has seen these) talks about your mutual funds!!!! They are actually threatening us!!!!

But this is just recognition that EVs are a real threat to oil !!! These ads should give you a sense of pride! We're finally something they know they need to fight against!!!

BUT THEY ARE GOING TO LOSE!!!!! NOTHING CAN STOP US!!!!!

Audi, BMW, and Mercedes now seem well aware that their top models are being outsold, often by a wide margin, by the Model S. Like Lexus it appears the strategy is to attack the Model S rather than move more rapidly to build their own EVs.

Here's an example from an Audi dealer in Naperville. The A7 has more cargo space than the Tesla? What didn't they count in the Model S? That alone makes the comparison suspicious.