Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another new battery technology--feasible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cpa

May 17, 2014
Central Valley
According to this abstract

Alternative strategy for a safe rechargeable battery - Energy & Environmental Science (RSC Publishing)

researchers at UT (including a 94-year old, John Goodenough!) think that this type of battery is denser than today's Li-ion types.

Here is the story:

Lithium-Ion Battery Inventor Introduces New Technology for Fast-Charging, Noncombustible Batteries

Obviously, Na is a heckuva lot more prevalent than Li, albeit heavier. This technology is also supposed to work quite well in sub-zero temperatures.

Is this feasible, or another one of those works-well-in-a-lab, but not so well in mass production and in common use designs?

Here's probably the most detailed analysis of Goodenough's work I've found (and I've read a lot of them)

On the skepticism surrounding the "Goodenough battery" · Matt Lacey

The short of it... it's probably not actually what Goodenough thinks it is.

That's not that sodium-ion batteries, solid electrolytes, or lithium metal electrodes are impossible. They all are active research topics with significant potential. But this particular battery and its claimed performance? Probably not.

IMHO, sodium ion is one of the most interesting possible techs, for the main reason that it's not about increasing energy density (which IMHO is already sufficient for great EVs), but reducing cost. Sodium metal costs just around 2 dollars per kilogram (and as you note is available in basically unlimited quantities all over the world). Barely costs more than aluminum. But for several reasons it's tougher to make work than lithium, as well as being a heavier ion per unit charge.

Last edited:
Here's probably the most detailed analysis of Goodenough's work I've found (and I've read a lot of them)

On the skepticism surrounding the "Goodenough battery" · Matt Lacey

The short of it... it's probably not actually what Goodenough thinks it is.

That's not that sodium-ion batteries, solid electrolytes, or lithium metal electrodes are impossible. They all are active research topics with significant potential. But this particular battery and its claimed performance? Probably not.

IMHO, sodium ion is one of the most interesting possible techs, for the main reason that it's not about increasing energy density (which IMHO is already sufficient for great EVs), but reducing cost. Sodium metal costs just around 2 dollars per kilogram (and as you note is available in basically unlimited quantities all over the world). Barely costs more than aluminum. But for several reasons it's tougher to make work than lithium, as well as being a heavier ion per unit charge.
So Goodenough isn't... at least not yet? :)

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4