Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Another feature removed by a software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I get 2020.16.2.1 software update and now I find that Ludicrous Plus from the T screen is no more.

One of my little treats to myself after stupid long days at the office is an occasional blast on a quiet road with Ludicrous Plus or, dare I say it, just very rarely to put a Porsche or the like properly in its place. A press of the Tesla T and into Ludicrous Plus mode and a bit of fun to ease the daily commute. Only for a few minutes maybe, but just enough to enjoy the car to the full every now and again.

No more.

Now you have to go to the "Toybox".
And now it tells you that you have to be in park to activate Ludicrous Plus.
No more switching mode while you're driving.
So guess what - it's never going to get used now - probably the intention but disingenuous nonetheless.

Thanks Tesla for hobbling this feature on my car.

Just one of the many things Tesla have taken away with various updates.

The car that was once a joy to own, still is really, but things like this just tarnish and spoil the ownership experience.
Please Elon - can we have this feature back

I haven't tried since the last update, but is this really true? I never could use Ludicrous+ anyways because every time I hit it, it says like 40min or 60 mins or some crazy thing like that to warm the battery. I don't have the patience to wait that long before being able to fully use it. So I just stay on regular Ludicrous and it seems fast enough. We can still switch driving modes between Sport, Chill and regular Ludicrous while driving correct?

You don't have to wait for the battery to be fully warmed up to use Ludicrous+ it just enables Launch mode you can use right away. the timer tells you how long until you get maximum horsepower.

Lowering battery temperatures has been a major priority for Tesla since 2019.16 last year, with capacities and charge speeds being lowered first. I didn't expect Ludicrous+ to be the next victim, but since it warm,s the battery up I guess we could have seen this coming.

I was going to make a similar post myself, but I'm quite certain it would just go on deaf ears. In the S/X's vertical screen, the original toy box worked great and IMO didn't need to change. But since it wasn't really well designed for horizontal 3/Y screen, they changed it for them and then just ported it to us whether or not makes sense for our vertical screens. To me, the new toy box is too big/stretched out and is actually way more annoying to use (and also apparently has bugs they never checked). Also, all the images (rainbow road and santa mode) on it show a model 3!

One thing I've noticed the last year or so is that all UI design changes are all clearly aimed for the 3/Y's horizontal screen and not for the S/X's vertical screen. Now, i know the 3/Y are the newer, more mass produced vehicles and they should certainly have a well designed UI, but the fact that all 8 years of S/X's out there have been demoted to the ugly step child in terms of UI design is pretty disappointing. Basically, while the 3/Y UI gets better and easier over time, the S/X just get's worse and worse. Ideally, they should have just kept the UI designs separate between the two layouts and improved each one separately for their orientation, but that clearly would cost too much $$ and something had to be sacrificed.

I'd still go back to the UI I had when my car was brand new over the current design.

I was going to make a similar post myself, but I'm quite certain it would just go on deaf ears. In the S/X's vertical screen, the original toy box worked great and IMO didn't need to change. But since it wasn't really well designed for horizontal 3/Y screen, they changed it for them and then just ported it to us whether or not makes sense for our vertical screens. To me, the new toy box is too big/stretched out and is actually way more annoying to use (and also apparently has bugs they never checked). Also, all the images (rainbow road and santa mode) on it show a model 3!

One thing I've noticed the last year or so is that all UI design changes are all clearly aimed for the 3/Y's horizontal screen and not for the S/X's vertical screen. Now, i know the 3/Y are the newer, more mass produced vehicles and they should certainly have a well designed UI, but the fact that all 8 years of S/X's out there have been demoted to the ugly step child in terms of UI design is pretty disappointing. Basically, while the 3/Y UI gets better and easier over time, the S/X just get's worse and worse. Ideally, they should have just kept the UI designs separate between the two layouts and improved each one separately for their orientation, but that clearly would cost too much $$ and something had to be sacrificed.

I'd still go back to the UI I had when my car was brand new over the current design.

This probably suggests that the NEW Model S redesign (whenever it comes out) will have a horizontal screen like the 3/Ys?

is there a difference between the toybox ludicrous plus and the one in the Driving menu?

Not functionally. Both preheat the battery, have the same disclaimer, and enable launch mode.

If there is a difference, it could only be the display of stats on the left display once warmed up (I haven't let it warm fully since the update to confirm those showing up).

So I don't get the complaints here? You could always just go to the driving menu and change it to Ludi+ any time you want. Even while driving. This new update seems to save you a step - you don't have to press and hold the Ludi+ button or go through the toybox. The only thing lost is the ability to see the starfield animation while driving it seems.

One thing the toybox mentions seems to be incorrect (but would have been nice!): It implies that you can switch on the stats screen any time, before waiting for it to fully warm, by using the wheel buttons to select that display as an option. But it's not actually in the list. I'll have to wait for it to fully warm up once to see if it behaves any differently than before.

So I don't get the complaints here? You could always just go to the driving menu and change it to Ludi+ any time you want. Even while driving...

Thought of this after i wrote the post, it's a good point but car in service (got an 85D loaner which is all very nice and appreciated but it whines worse than the missus) so I cant check if it is still there in the driving menu, or whether that is restricted to enable from Park as well.