Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying vibration sound around steering column

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an intermittent vibration sound that comes from the area to the left of the steering column when I drive over uneven surfaces. It can be a slow or high speeds. I don't hear it a lot, but just enough (maybe 5% of the time) that it's really annoying especially since I can't figure out where it's coming from!!! I want to say it's maybe from the left A/C vent but not sure.

I think I have seen others post about having a similar issue but I don't recall seeing a definitive answer to what is the cause. I'm scheduled to take it to my SC but of course I'm sure they won't be able to replicate the problem on their short test drive.

Thoughts?

Did you remember to drive between the lane markers and not on them? (haha just kidding!)

I had something similar when I first took delivery of my S70D last week, and it was indeed coming from the vents. Wiggling the vent adjustment a bit seemed to fix the rattle. Seemed like some of the vents were "sticky" in their factory default position, and the first attempt to move them resulted in a pretty noticeable snappy sound and then they stopped vibrating.

So hopefully it's something that simple!

10 to 1 it is what @chillaban said or one of the panels on that side. They are pretty easy to pop off to see if you have loose or broken clip. You can pretty much unsnap the whole interior of the car with a good tug. One that comes to mind right away is the black plastic panel on the left side of the dash that is covered when the door is closed. It is inline (if that is saying it right), with the lower interior colored panel right below the wood trim. I noticed that mine was loose the other day and had to pop it back in.