Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All I can do is just laugh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned a Ford Mustang Coupe, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Audi A4, BMW 335, Lexus IS and in not one of those cars did I have this problem opening the trunk with snow or drizzle falling in. Its a weird design choice but I understand they had to give up something to keep the aerodynamics of M3. The broom in the back seat is a non-starter for me, the kids ride back there and the last thing I want is for them to start tripping over it or beating each other with it. I guess for now I'll leave it in the trunk and fold the seats down when I need it.

never had the issue of anyone tripping on stuff like that. I've even had a "Club" steering wheel lock back there (previous car) with no kids falling over that. As for them beating each other with it.... well I guess that's more of a parenting issue and prolly off topic for this forum :D

Curious though: if your kids are of the age where they might do something inappropriate with the brush, they're likely in child seats strapped securely to the seat, which makes it impossible to fold down the seats without removing the child seats... eh whatever. I guess life is hard in your Model 3.

It is a revelation to me how many purchasers of $50k + cars do not have usable garages.

Wow...just wow! This is very presumptuous and I'll leave it right there.

Curious though: if your kids are of the age where they might do something inappropriate with the brush, they're likely in child seats strapped securely to the seat, which makes it impossible to fold down the seats without removing the child seats... eh whatever. I guess life is hard in your Model 3.

My boys are 9 and 6, they play rough....ask me how I know the door unlock button back there does not work above 60? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Dre78
It is a revelation to me how many purchasers of $50k + cars do not have usable garages. <snip>.
I'm much younger at 62 and I do have a garage. In fact it's a two car garage. However, it's currently being used as a storage facility (not for vehicles). Been that way since moving into this house almost 20 years ago. Both my 3 and the wife's 2018 Ridgeline (just as expensive) sit out in the driveway. I foresee being able to store the cars in the garage much like the time we did in our previous house . . . just before we moved out of it.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
It took me a month or so after delivery to realize the Model 3 isn't designed to be a luxury car where the details are refined to optimize for ease of use but mostly all about aerodynamics. I would gladly trade some miles for bigger side mirrors and some other design adjustments.

The new Porsche Taycan has same trunk design. Great minds think alike:eek:

This image if from www.taycanforum.com (Mods, remove if it violates some policy)
porsche-taycan-prototype-_sb18068-jpg.146

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 3.47.06 PM.png

Haha. Lmao. My Audi Q5 does the same. Proudly designed in German.

My Volvo S80 T6 did the same thing. Come to think of it, so did my Volvo 144 GL (Grand Lux). Operating procedure on sedans with snow on them: Swipe gloved hand/arm across top of trunk to remove snow before opening. If the snow is not stuck to the rear window you might want to wipe that off too.

I'm thinking there are a lot of new Model 3 owners who have never owned a sedan in their life!

Here's a funny video of a guy who must be new to sedans (not a Tesla):

Surprise design flaw : Wellthatsucks

Now if Tesla was as talented as Honda they would have designed it perfectly:

Last edited:
Wow. So many victims on this board that don't understand gravity or unable to foresee the consequences of not first wiping the snow. I have a hard time believing it's a real issue, especially when you take the time to pull out your camera and compose a shot.

People love to be victims, lol! It's never their fault. Here's my P3D yesterday morning:

20190212_075630sm.jpg

I suppose I should have set up a video camera and then acted surprised when it all fell in my trunk, LOL!

People love to be victims, lol! It's never their fault. Here's my P3D yesterday morning:

View attachment 377095

I suppose I should have set up a video camera and then acted surprised when it all fell in my trunk, LOL!
You should have set up a video camera and then acted surprised when you found a car under that heap of snow.

LOL

P.S. I'm totally digging the whale tail spoiler on that Honda!

It took me a month or so after delivery to realize the Model 3 isn't designed to be a luxury car where the details are refined to optimize for ease of use but mostly all about aerodynamics. I would gladly trade some miles for bigger side mirrors and some other design adjustments.

I wouldn't trade even 10 miles of range for bigger mirrors and protruding handles. It's not a tow rig, it's a passenger car to carry up to 5 people and their gear with a good amount of comfort and performance.

I love the way Tesla engineers were laser focussed on their design goals and think they succeeded spectacularly.

I hate it when people don't look at a vehicle as a whole but rather nitpick this and that detail and act like they could have done it better. But they didn't. There is only one Model 3 and, taken in it's entirety, it's a beautiful symphony. Like any car, it's not perfect, and different people have different preferences, but it's hard to argue with the fact that it was the best selling luxury car in America last year.

And it pushes all my buttons (which I didn't think it would before we took delivery in May).

When this California boy lived in Alaska for a few years back in the late '70s, he learned quickly the first winter to carry a snow brush, ice scraper and extension cord inside the car, a sand bag in the trunk, and a second set of car keys in his pocket. :)

I wonder how many people will ask what is the sand bag for? :)

PS Hint: That is the answer for the guy who spent two hours trying to move a quarter of a mile.

Now I'm curious about the send set to keys, why? And where do you keep the first set?
If you work in an office with outdoor parking, say, and you're not planning on using your car during the day, you need to go down to the parking lot midday, start your car with one set of keys, lock the car, and go back to your office. After your car has been running a while and warmed up sufficiently, go back down and unlock the car with the second set of keys, shut the car off and remove the first set of keys from the ignition. If you don't do this, your car may not start in the evening when you leave work. Didn't need to do this everyday in winter, only on very cold days. But keeping the second set of keys with you just becomes a habit.

Last edited:
If you work in an office with outdoor parking, say, and you're not planning on using your car during the day, you need to go down to the parking lot midday, start your car with one set of keys, lock the car, and go back to your office. After your car has been running a while and warmed up sufficiently, go back down and unlock the car with the second set of keys, shut the car off and remove the first set of keys from the ignition. If you don't do this, your car may not start in the evening when you leave work. Didn't need to do this everyday in winter, only on very cold days. But keeping the second set of keys with you just becomes a habit.

Man, life before EV's sounded so primitive.

caveman-carving-wheel-illustration-depicts-large-stone-36118049.jpg

If you work in an office with outdoor parking, say, and you're not planning on using your car during the day, you need to go down to the parking lot midday, start your car with one set of keys, lock the car, and go back to your office. After your car has been running a while and warmed up sufficiently, go back down and unlock the car with the second set of keys, shut the car off and remove the first set of keys from the ignition. If you don't do this, your car may not start in the evening when you leave work.

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. It makes the handful of people here who are always harping about the cold weather "vampire" drain look kinda misguided!

Reactions: APotatoGod