Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those air suspension fan bois out there and claiming how horrible MY's (especially MYP) coil suspension set up is and blaming lack of air suspension set up.

That was all marketing-speak for “we could not add an air suspension system to our vehicle because it would increase costs and complexity”.

I’ve never had a coil-based system that was better than anything in my air-based setups. Not even close.

And yes, the MY coil system is still complete garbage.

That was all marketing-speak for “we could not add an air suspension system to our vehicle because it would increase costs and complexity”.

I’ve never had a coil-based system that was better than anything in my air-based setups. Not even close.

And yes, the MY coil system is still complete garbage.
go try out Lucid Air and compare with your air suspension car.

Also, your blinded blanket statement "the MY coil system is still complete garbage." is indeed complete BS.
Maybe your MY is garbage, but not mine. :cool:
I'm sorry that you had to spend $50k - $70k for the garbage. Not sure why you spent so much money on the garbage.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: glide
go try out Lucid Air and compare with your air suspension car.

Also, your blinded blanket statement "the MY coil system is still complete garbage." is indeed complete BS.
Maybe your MY is garbage, but not mine. :cool:
I'm sorry that you had to spend $50k - $70k for the garbage. Not sure why you spent so much money on the garbage.
The suspension was so bad, I traded up for a MS, my guy.

The Model Y may be okay if you’re coming from a Honda or entry level BMW. No one who is seriously into cars is signing the praises of the MY suspension. I promise.

Last edited:
Chill dude why are you so worked up about nothing? I didn't buy a Lucid so I don't really care what kinda suspension they use. I love my model Y but the fact of the matter is that the ride is far inferior to the last few cars I've owned; and they weren't luxury vehicles. I've had both model S and X loaners in the last year and the ride quality on those vehicles destroy that of the MY; that's why I assume air ride is superior. I don't expect the MY to ride as well as a 100K luxury car but it's not too much to expect that it would compare favorably to an Escape.

The suspension was so bad, I traded up for a MS, my guy.

The Model Y may be okay if you’re coming from a Honda or entry level BMW. No one who is seriously into cars is signing the praises of the MY suspension. I promise.
Then, hang out at the MS forum, not here.

I came from 2018 Golf R, 2018 M3 (BMW M3, not Model 3) with competition pkg. My MYP rides much softer than these two.

You need to know what you are talking about. You are talking about the comfort with cushy and very soft wobbly ride, which MY/MYP is not designed for.

I am sure the coil spring Lucid Air has much more comfortable and better ride quality than your precious air suspension MS. :cool:

Then, hang out at the MS forum, not here.

I came from 2018 Golf R, 2018 M3 (BMW M3, not Model 3) with competition pkg. My MYP rides much softer than these two.

You need to know what you are talking about. You are talking about the comfort with cushy and very soft wobbly ride, which MY/MYP is not designed for.

I am sure the coil spring Lucid Air has much more comfortable and better ride quality than your precious air suspension MS. :cool:
Solid argument.

So you came from a VW Golf and are riding real hard for the Model Y suspension. I think that tells us all we need to know.

Solid argument.

So you came from a VW Golf and are riding real hard for the Model Y suspension. I think that tells us all we need to know.
Apparently you are not a car guy. Golf R is not a regular econobox hatchback car. Get yourself educated and report back. My Golf R with stage 2 ECU tune with FBO ran 0-60 in 3.2-3.3 seconds all day long.
By the way it came with adjustable dampers with variable ratio steering rack with AWD.

Apparently you are not a car guy. Golf R is not a regular econobox hatchback car. Get yourself educated and report back. My Golf R with stage 2 ECU tune with FBO ran 0-60 in 3.2-3.3 seconds all day long.
By the way it came with adjustable dampers with variable ratio steering rack with AWD.
If you’re looking to flex your Golf R or BMW M3 status, you’re in the wrong place.

I am not flexing anything. you totally missed the point. I was just comparing my MYP ride quality compare to those cars with the same 35 profile tires.
I think you’re confused. You were originally stating that lack of air suspension on a Lucid Air somehow meant that the choice to use coil suspension on the MY was justified and negated the overwhelmingly panned ride quality.

In your most recent response you’re comparing the ride quality of a VW Golf to the MYP. I would say that is actually an appropriate comparison. They both use coil suspension and the ride is incredibly harsh.

So your original point of “Air suspension bad, coil suspension good” is actually negated by your own admission.

Soooo…are we done now?

MJ.gif

I think you’re confused. You were originally stating that lack of air suspension on a Lucid Air somehow meant that the choice to use coil suspension on the MY was justified and negated the overwhelmingly panned ride quality.

In your most recent response you’re comparing the ride quality of a VW Golf to the MYP. I would say that is actually an appropriate comparison. They both use coil suspension and the ride is incredibly harsh.

So your original point of “Air suspension bad, coil suspension good” is actually negated by your own admission.

Soooo…are we done now?
No not correct.
My point, which you still don't get it, is that the air suspension is not the answer for all. Whenever you see any "MY/MYP/M3 suspension sucks" post, you will see those "horrible ride" people blaming the coil spring suspension set up and cry for the air suspension.
All you need is proper damping and spring rate set up, and you cannot have both comfort and sports. simple physics.

That's why I linked the YouTube (which is not even my video video) and didn't even claim that “Air suspension bad, coil suspension good”.

At this point, I am not even sure if you are trying to argue just to argue.

No not correct.
My point, which you still don't get it, is that the air suspension is not the answer for all. Whenever you see any "MY/MYP/M3 suspension sucks" post, you will see those "horrible ride" people blaming the coil spring suspension set up and cry for the air suspension.
All you need is proper damping and spring rate set up, and you cannot have both comfort and sports. simple physics.

That's why I linked the YouTube (which is not even my video video) and didn't even claim that “Air suspension bad, coil suspension good”.

At this point, I am not even sure if you are trying to argue just to argue.
So you’re saying the coils and non-adjustable dampers used on the MY absolutely suck. I agree with that too. If Tesla used different coils/dampers it could be made better. No kidding.

Either way, fitting the vehicle with Air Suspension would drastically improve the ride quality and I’m not sure how that is even up for debate.

An apt comparison is a 2015 Model S with and without Air Suspension. The coil versions simply do not come close in ride quality.

So you’re saying the coils and non-adjustable dampers used on the MY absolutely suck. I agree with that too. If Tesla used different coils/dampers it could be made better. No kidding.

Either way, fitting the vehicle with Air Suspension would drastically improve the ride quality and I’m not sure how that is even up for debate.

An apt comparison is a 2015 Model S with and without Air Suspension. The coil versions simply do not come close in ride quality.
Your MY suspension sucks. Not mine (2022 MYP).

So, you know better than Lucid Lead suspension engineer? When criticizing any system, you use the most up to date/latest model/version, not 7 year old first production car/model.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
For those air suspension fan bois out there and claiming how horrible MY's (especially MYP) coil suspension set up is and blaming lack of air suspension set up.

This video makes me want a Lucid Air now... lol

Seriously, it's sad the Model Y has such a poor suspension. I really noticed with my last 2022 ID.4 AWD and Ariya test drives a few weeks back. You don't need air suspension to have a smooth ride.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Your MY suspension sucks. Not mine (2022 MYP).

So, you know better than Lucid Lead suspension engineer? When criticizing any system, you use the most up to date/latest model/version, not 7 year old first production car/model.
Spoiler: yours does too. You just don’t know it because you’ve been bombing around in a VW Golf.

The Model S doesn’t have coil suspension any longer so there is no way to compare apples to apples unless you go back to 2015. Why do you suppose that is? I’ll tell you, again, it’s because the coils sucked.

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc