Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That'll do it. lol. That'll probably also cause you to get a call from Tesla saying 'we seem to have lost connection with your car and can't track you everywhere you go and everything you do"....big brother is blind!!!

I can verify this..... I got that call last week with a car that has been in Canada for 3 months with a US ATT subscription.

So can anyone confirm if the update of 5.8 is done automatically or only when we confirm on our end?

To this point, all updates come to the car automatically then the car asks you when/if you want to install it. I don't think we've seen or heard any reason to believe that this process has been changed.
If you just close the update window without giving install instructions, a little alarm clock looking icon remains at the top of the 17" that you can use to access the upgrade installation screen again if you wish.

Al is correct (see above) but I'd add that the car will keep bugging you to install the update and the only way to stop that is to reschedule it every 23 hours.

Or you click the X to dismiss the dialog. That leaves the update unscheduled. It will continue to bug you but you can keep dismissing. I did this for a while to stay on 5.6, during what I call my rebel phase, but this weekend I accepted the update and did the reboot trick to fix the regen/creep/steer.

To this point, all updates come to the car automatically then the car asks you when/if you want to install it. I don't think we've seen or heard any reason to believe that this process has been changed.
If you just close the update window without giving install instructions, a little alarm clock looking icon remains at the top of the 17" that you can use to access the upgrade installation screen again if you wish.
We've had 1 report of 5.8 happening automatically. Upon further clarification, there was apparently a prompt for 5.6 that was deferred and then 5.8 happened automatically or something like that. Unfortunately, I've lost track of both posts.

Anyway, except for that 1 report we haven't seen an unprompted/automatic update since 1.15.14 (pre 4.0) or so.

Actually you had an option not to take the update. I exercised that option for some time as I gathered inputs from this forum and made my own informed decision.
Two problems with that position:
1. The release notes are not displayed when you prompted for an update.
2. The release notes for 5.8 don't say anything about the suspension change.

Thus the user "accepted" something significant without appropriate information. "Uninformed consent" if you will. I sincerely hope they don't make a habit of this practice going forward. As a result of the loss of "original sleep" some owners learned to "just say no" to updates, and 5.8 has expanded that group. Owners not trusting updates is a far bigger problem than any issues they've had with the firmware thus far. IMO at least.

Played around with my low setting today. At any speed It let me press the button (and I did nothing) if I hadn't adjusted the air suspension to high yet. Then it would act like it was thinking if I tried to click back to standard. To get it to actually tell me it couldn't go to low, I had to first try to go to high from standard and then try to go to low from standard again.

We've had 1 report of 5.8 happening automatically. Upon further clarification, there was apparently a prompt for 5.6 that was deferred and then 5.8 happened automatically or something like that. Unfortunately, I've lost track of both posts.

Anyway, except for that 1 report we haven't seen an unprompted/automatic update since 1.15.14 (pre 4.0) or so.

what happens is prompt assumes you want to install that night at 2am. You can accept that, change time, apply immediately, or defer. Unless you defer, it's going in at 2. If you defer, it pops up next day. I'll bet single incident of "forced" was type A in a rush, didn't read.

Two problems with that position:
1. The release notes are not displayed when you prompted for an update.
2. The release notes for 5.8 don't say anything about the suspension change.

Thus the user "accepted" something significant without appropriate information. "Uninformed consent" if you will. I sincerely hope they don't make a habit of this practice going forward. As a result of the loss of "original sleep" some owners learned to "just say no" to updates, and 5.8 has expanded that group. Owners not trusting updates is a far bigger problem than any issues they've had with the firmware thus far. IMO at least.

Brian no disagreement with you at all. I held out on 5.6 for some time reading the forums to try to understand the changes, wait out some of the hysteria, and to form my own opinions. I decided when/if to take the 5.8 update and I did so with conviction to accept the changes and that I made my own choice. I will do the same with the next update.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm holding back on the update until I see if Elon comes through on his promise to make the adjustability available in January.

More power to you. I was in this camp but capitulated after taking some time to collect my thoughts. Can anyone point to terms that say we MUST take a new update? As far as I can tell the Warranty text does not include such terms.

Last edited:
I'm upset because my wife upgraded to 5.8 because it kept nagging her every few days. I didn't realize this until I noticed over 65 I'm still on "Standard". I really do hope they come out with a direct user interface for the air suspension; otherwise, I feel jipped in purchasing this system and not be able to use it as it was meant. Not too happy about this.

Why did they make the LOW setting when parked higher than before? It higher than before in LOW right?

All ride heights are 5/16" higher than in the previous firmwares. Some say this isn't that big of a deal. Au contraire, I would argue that 0.31 inches is significant especially considering that the original low setting lowered the car 0.79 inches. Now it only lowers 0.48.