Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension and Body Roll

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that's a good question. Did anyone notice any good amount of body roll? Let us know.
Don't know if the beta at the October event had the air suspension or not but there seemed to be little if any body roll. It was a quick two minute drive though and was more focused on the whole experience and when the driver gunned it.

I order to clarify my post I think that ACC, BSD, EBA, IHC and LDW are must haves in a LUXURY car and TSR would be a nice thing to have that I had not previously known about. And I guess I should have said I am not getting the car because it does not have these things as options.
I've never had any of these features myself and can see how they would be nice to have but they're not must haves for me. I would have liked at least the first three on your list though. I think that what you're getting in terms of the acceleration and the electric drivetrain makes up for those features but I understand how this would be different for people who are used to those features.

Don't know if the beta at the October event had the air suspension or not but there seemed to be little if any body roll. It was a quick two minute drive though and was more focused on the whole experience and when the driver gunned it.

Not to mention, the seats weren't the greatest... I was sliding around on them, but not sure about body roll. May be able to "eyeball" it from some of the vids though.

I've never had any of these features myself and can see how they would be nice to have but they're not must haves for me. I would have liked at least the first three on your list though. I think that what you're getting in terms of the acceleration and the electric drivetrain makes up for those features but I understand how this would be different for people who are used to those features.

I do like adaptive cruise, but always felt the blind spot stuff provided too many false positives. None of the rest seems mandatory for me.

Last edited:
I think it very likely that Tesla will include this full suite in a couple of years. Getting even the "basic" Model S out the door is undoubtedly a heroic effort. Adding on this suite initially would have added to costs and delays, which Tesla simply cannot afford.

As for me, I have never had any of these options, never had an accident, and am happy not to have six more things to break.

Same here. If they include them later, I hope they will be options so I can avoid all that crap. Give me something useful instead, like adjustable regen and adjustable accelerator pedal sensitivity (I really like the eco mode in my Leaf).

The very low center of gravity means very little body roll. This is true with or without air shocks. This was noticeable at the factory event.

I agree with the sentiment that Tesla needs to focus on getting a basic luxury car out the door. All these new features distract from this goal. I would be concerned that more things mean more things to break. I am worried enough about the door handles.

I order to clarify my post I think that ACC, BSD, EBA, IHC and LDW are must haves in a LUXURY car [...] I am not getting the car because it does not have these things as options.

We all are looking for something different, I do see value in those options, and I'm not a luxury buyer so I hate to second-guess. But if these are must-haves for luxury, are you really willing to put up with the noise, poor throttle response, vibration, jerky acceleration, and inconvenient fueling of a gasoline engine when you buy a luxury car? It seems to me those are equally important for luxury, and so the perfect luxury car is simply not available.

I fear this may sound snarky but I don't mean it that way; I'm not trying to put down your decision, just trying to make sure I understand it--I don't expect the Model S to be for everybody. Maybe you have not driven an EV before (?) and are unfamiliar with the benefits? Or maybe you have, but you see safety as the prime feature of luxury, and so the EV benefits are secondary? Or you feel some luxury gas cars are "close enough" that the EV benefits aren't that big of a deal?

I believe the cars at the factory event were equipped with the air suspension. I did take the test ride and my subjective evaluation (especially in the slalom course portion of the ride) was that there was very little body roll and that the ride was very smooth. I used to own a 300ZX twin turbo (the 1990 model) and I felt that the Model S has less body roll than my old Z.

The Z had electro adjustable shocks and even on Sport mode I don't remember the Z feeling as solid as the Model S felt. But also realize that it's been about 10 years since I owned my Z. But during the time I did own it, I drove it rather 'enthusiastically' and feel like I can speak from experience. :smile:

I order to clarify my post I think that ACC, BSD, EBA, IHC and LDW are must haves in a LUXURY car and TSR would be a nice thing to have that I had not previously known about. And I guess I should have said I am not getting the car because it does not have these things as options.
You have obviously been following Tesla and the Model S for years so was just surprised you didn't have a reservation anymore or maybe you never had one. I understand different people are looking for different things in a car though. I think ChadS has some excellent points about the acceleration, fun and lack of going to a gas station too. I'd imagine they'll work on adding at least some of those features over the coming years so hopefully there will be an EV from Tesla or someone in the future that has all of those features you want.

.... But if these are must-haves for luxury, are you really willing to put up with the noise, poor throttle response, vibration, jerky acceleration, and inconvenient fueling of a gasoline engine when you buy a luxury car?.?

Cruise control saves energy. ACC is a better, more usable, and more efficient cruise control. Arguably not a luxury, but a range extender.

We all are looking for something different, I do see value in those options, and I'm not a luxury buyer so I hate to second-guess. But if these are must-haves for luxury, are you really willing to put up with the noise, poor throttle response, vibration, jerky acceleration, and inconvenient fueling of a gasoline engine when you buy a luxury car? It seems to me those are equally important for luxury, and so the perfect luxury car is simply not available.

I fear this may sound snarky but I don't mean it that way; I'm not trying to put down your decision, just trying to make sure I understand it--I don't expect the Model S to be for everybody. Maybe you have not driven an EV before (?) and are unfamiliar with the benefits? Or maybe you have, but you see safety as the prime feature of luxury, and so the EV benefits are secondary? Or you feel some luxury gas cars are "close enough" that the EV benefits aren't that big of a deal?

Yes I have driven the Roadster several times and riden in the Model S once and just sat in it once when stationary.

I do love the idea of an electric car BUT as Elon says I should buy the car because it is a GREAT car not because it is an EV.

I do think that these features will be added later and I do think it was a wise decision to get the car out early and get sales moving along. I will just have to wait a model year or two to get my car. Safety is way to important to me for me to compromise on it.

I will just have to wait a model year or two to get my car. Safety is way to important to me for me to compromise on it.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I made the mistaken assumption that you were going to buy a gas car instead of an EV; but it sounds like you're postponing your EV purchase to get more safety features.

It sounds like the Model S will be as crash-worthy as anything else out there (although I'd still like to see some crash test results!); but if safety is #1 waiting for more crash-avoidance features makes sense.

Okay the alphabet soup is getting to be a bit much... bears repeating:

ACC = Adaptive Cruise Control
BSD = Blind Spot Detection
EBA = Emergency Brake Assist
IHC = Intelligent Headlamp Control
LDW = Lane Departure Warning
TSR = Traffic Sign Recognition

ACC - nice to have, will miss it
BSD - nah, I use Multivex mirrors and turning my head
EBA - for the driver with sleep disorders
IHC - sounds nice
LDW - for the driver with sleep disorders
TSR - for the driver with no brain... if you're not paying attention, having a machine do it for you really isn't going to help

+1 and maybe I'm going to throw a bomblet but....these aren't really about making a car safer, it can be argued that it's about making drivers lazy. (No-one take that personally, please!)

P.S. I had IHC once and didn't like it...it takes some getting used to.

If IHC is that system that aims he headlight around corners as your turn then I'm all for it. We've got it on our Land Rover and it's amazing on the dark, twisty hill going up to our house.

From the description I found online, it sounds like they switch automatically and linearly from high beam to low beam, keeping the light out of the oncoming driver's eyes while simultaneously giving you as much light as possible.

From the description I found online, it sounds like they switch automatically and linearly from high beam to low beam, keeping the light out of the oncoming driver's eyes while simultaneously giving you as much light as possible.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound like a bad thing, but not nearly as useful as the turning headlights.