Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Aftermarket hubcap is difficult to remove

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model 3 (Highland) wrapped last week and they also put new hubcaps on my car. They forgot to put the foam strip on the new hub caps.
I want to take them off now and apply the foam strip to the hub caps but they are very difficult to remove and I'm afraid that I will break them if I apply too much force.

The OEM hubcaps were pretty easy to remove. Is there a trick to removing them? Are they more difficult to remove because the installer didn't put on the foam strip?

Some of the aftermarket caps, have a foam strip that goes around the inner ring of the cap, because they go all the way out over the lip of the rim. I have these on my Uberturbine style caps for my 18" winter set-up.
1711645808768.png

I had a similar problem with the Yeslak Arachnid wheel covers. The problem with those are the clips: instead of having the more springy metal clips that are on the Tesla wheel covers, these clips are plastic with very little give. What I did was to use automotive plastic pry tools to dislodge each clip individually. You need to dislodge enough clips to be able to pull the cover out. Don't use a metal pry tool because you might inadvertently scratch your wheels.
As an aside, I wouldn't recommend keeping those wheel covers. If you have a need to take a wheel off your car (i.e. a flat), there is no way you can remove it quickly.
Good luck!