Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice regarding demand charge controller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Allx

Aug 28, 2018
NJ
I’m considering installing a demand charge controller like the dcc-11 to help with winter charging (L1 doesn’t really cut it at -20C).

This location has “full” panels technically but AC doesn’t run in winter and baseboard heaters don’t run in summer so I’m thinking DCC would do the trick here (that and I don’t have to drill through the basement wall).

I’m wondering if anyone knows of other DCC options that can handle a 200A service (I’m assuming if it split before the panel it needs to handle the current that comes in the house).

I think the Dynamic Power Management for Tesla Wall Connector is significantly cheaper to set up than a DCC.

Reactions: Allx
I’m wondering if anyone knows of other DCC options that can handle a 200A service
(I’m assuming if it split before the panel it needs to handle the current that comes in the house).

I didn't try this device, but it might correspond to what you are looking for:

Emporia’s intelligent Load Management solution dynamically adjusts the EV charge rate,
allowing the sum of breakers to exceed your panel's service rating,
all while keeping your home's energy distribution within your system limits,
seamlessly sidestepping the need for expensive electrical service upgrades.

I think the Dynamic Power Management for Tesla Wall Connector is significantly cheaper to set up than a DCC.

It does seem nice but it seems to requiring wiring in the panel, no ?

My understanding is that it’s installed between the meter and panel, and that it can be installed in cases where the panel isn’t easily reachable. maybe I got that wrong ?
My thinking, however accurate or inaccurate, is that both the DCC solution and the Tesla Dynamic Power Management solution need to put a CT meter around the main service. So, the two solutions are equivalent in installation difficulty and the Tesla solution should cost substantially less for the hardware.

I’m considering installing a demand charge controller like the dcc-11 to help with winter charging (L1 doesn’t really cut it at -20C).

This location has “full” panels technically but AC doesn’t run in winter and baseboard heaters don’t run in summer so I’m thinking DCC would do the trick here (that and I don’t have to drill through the basement wall).

I’m wondering if anyone knows of other DCC options that can handle a 200A service (I’m assuming if it split before the panel it needs to handle the current that comes in the house).
I'm guessing that your meter is in or adjacent to your garage and the main panel is in the basement? You should be able to install any DCC type of solution by putting a new main panel in the garage fed from the meter that then feeds the old main panel in the basement. That new main panel would be the home of the DCC and the breaker that feeds your EVSE.

That said, it all sounds a little expensive just to avoid drilling through the basement wall. If it's possible to run any kind of reasonable charging circuit from the existing main panel (30a, 40a), I'd probably go that route.

One of the main purposes for the DCC9 and DCC11 are condo situations where the unit's meter is close to the parking garage, but the unit's main panel is very far away. The DCC can be installed in or near the meter room, allowing a relatively short wire run to the parking space.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. There are 2 panels (in law suite) in the basement which are full. There isn’t any space for a third panel so I figure an outside DCC (no garage) might be the way to go but I didn’t know another panel is required.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. There are 2 panels (in law suite) in the basement which are full. There isn’t any space for a third panel so I figure an outside DCC (no garage) might be the way to go but I didn’t know another panel is required.
Another panel is not required. That's one of the features of the DCC-9 and DCC-11. I mentioned it only as a possible method to install other demand charging solutions. However, they do need to be wired between the meter and the main panel, so that's why I'm asking about where they are located.

Another panel is not required. That's one of the features of the DCC-9 and DCC-11. I mentioned it only as a possible method to install other demand charging solutions. However, they do need to be wired between the meter and the main panel, so that's why I'm asking about where they are located.
Oh I see , thanks for clarifying. I think I’ll look at pricing a DCC install; sounds like the right size solution

Do you happen to know if this is in stock anywhere? The official Amazon link seems to be out of stock for a while.