Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on Model X Order Timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Folks,

I've been reading a lot for the past 6 months and posting a little. I've finally decided to order an X, but need some advice on timing. My goal is to pick it up sometime this fall at the Fremont plant with my family and drive it back to Texas. Problem is, I don't have a reservation yet.

So...do you think if I were to make a reservation in the next few weeks it would even be possible to get an MX 90D or MX P90D this fall? Secondly, if it is, I'm a little concerned about getting a config email too early, as I think they might come out with the 95 sometime this summer, based on the S cycle. Is there anyway to delay the reservation if I feel like it's too early?

Thanks in advance for the advice - this will be my first Tesla, coming from a 5 y/o Ford F-150. I'm pretty excited!

Last edited:
Even if you get the email to configure - as far as people have seen so far, you don't need to actually configure it - you can delay it for as long as you want. That will of course delay the delivery of your car, but it will give you a chance to wait.

Hello Folks,

I've been reading a lot for the past 6 months and posting a little. I've finally decided to order an X, but need some advice on timing. My goal is to pick it up sometime this fall at the Fremont plant with my family and drive it back to Texas. Problem is, I don't have a reservation yet.

So...do you think if I were to make a reservation in the next few weeks it would even be possible to get an MX 90D or MX P90D this fall? Secondly, if it is, I'm a little concerned about getting a config email too early, as I think they might come out with the 95 sometime this summer, based on the S cycle. Is there anyway to delay the reservation if I feel like it's too early?

Thanks in advance for the advice - this will be my first Tesla, coming from a 5 y/o Ford F-150. I'm pretty excited!

If you order a P90D they will push you toward the front of the production line. At the current end of the P90D queue before the 90D and 70D (based on what I've observed). YOu can also wait to configure, with no penalty.