Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed. Any Classic Model X (or S) Brake Experts Out there?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
I am looking to replace the four brake calipers on my car, and I'm being told by a Tesla Service Center parts staff that (a) I have to order the exact correct brakes that came with my car (Alright, I'll accept that.) and that (b) the brake calipers for my 2021 (built December 2020) Model X are:

1. Front LeftNo problem
  • 1007794-00-C
Listed in the Tesla Parts Catalog (TPC) as "FRONT BRAKE CALIPER WITHOUT PADS - LEFT." It was the gray Brembo front left brake caliper used in all non-Performance Models S & X from 2012 until 2021. For what it's worth, I agree with this part recommendation.

Rear LeftNo problem
  • 1097414-00-A
Listed in TPC as "REAR BRAKE CALIPER WITHOUT PAD KIT - LEFT HAND - MANDO." It was the gray Mando rear left brake caliper used in non-Performance Model X from around 2016/17 until 2021. I also agree with this part recommendation.

But here is where I start having issues:

3. Front RightPotential PROBLEM!

1027622-00-D

Not listed in the current TPC. Doesn't numerically match the left front recommended brake caliper (Number 1, above). The closest numbers I can find in the TPC are Rassini brake rotor parts! For obvious reasons I may disagree with this part recommendation (in the Tesla Service Estimate).

4. Rear Right Potential PROBLEM!

1078542-OO-B

Not listed in TPC. Doesn't numerically match the Left rear recommended brake (Number 2, above). The closest part number I can find in the TPC is 1078542-01-B, "RR BRAKE CALIPER ASSY M12 RH - RED," which is a Brembo Performance (red) rear "M12" brake apparently used on early (2012-2016) Model S. For multiple reasons I may disagree with this part recommendation.

Tesla Service Estimate - Brakes & SC Wheel Parts - Tesla Correction - Censored.jpg

*****​

So after multiple, time-consuming, increasingly frustrating Tesla App Service messages back and forth* I am being told that the "Parts Team" has determined that these are the four brakes that fit my (2021 Model X) car.

But two of their recommended part numbers make no sense (to me).

From the start of communications (in person at the parts desk and then in subsequent Tesla APP messages) I recommended:

- 1007794-00-C (front left, gray, Brembo)
- 1007795-00-C (front right, gray, Brembo)
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||and
- 1097414-00-A (rear left, gray, Mando)
- 1097415-00-A (rear right, gray, Mando)

the brake calipers used on non-Performance Models S and X from ~2016/17 to 2021.

Why wouldn't Number 3 (above) be 1007795-00-C (FRONT BRAKE CALIPER WITHOUT PADS - RIGHT), which is an obvious numerical match to Number 1 (above)?

And why wouldn't Number 4 (above) be 1097415-00-A ("REAR BRAKE CALIPER WITHOUT PAD KIT - RH - MANDO"), which is the match to Number 2 (above)?

I am concerned that after waiting for these parts to be ordered/delivered I am going to (a) at best have more delay in order to re-order the correct two right brakes or (b) at worst be forced to "take it or leave it" and have to accept what may be incorrect/incompatible parts for my car (I obviously won't do that; I'll walk away if the two right brakes don't 'look' correct). One thing I will try to do is to NOT approve the service stimate until I have the callips in-hand and can compare left and right brakes, which I believe should be more or less mirror images, correct?

*****​

1. Can any experienced/knowledgeable people weigh in on this alleged brake part conundrum?

2. Can anyone suggest how to better deal with the arguably intractable Tesla parts process?

3. Is the Tesla Parts Team a real thing? Where are they located; at each service center or some central location (like in California, Nevada, or Texas)? Any way to communicate with them directly?

Thanks for any good advice.
_____
* I hate Tesla's policy of purposely limiting/obstructing customer contact with live employees face-to-face (except when they are trying to sell you a car, natch). And less you should think I am being too hard on the Tesla service center, the service estimate (shown above) is a second attempt. The first one listed two identical front brakes (same part number) and two identical rear brakes (same part number)! So naturally I am a little gun shy about trying to get the right brake parts ordered.

Last edited:
Late response, but you are SPOT-ON with your part concerns. I would NOT proceed with that order. It's looking pretty stupid.

Left vs right should be similar numbers - USUALLY** (not always) differing in the last digit before the first dash, just like you point out.
Sometimes there can be issues with supercession of parts, especially on older cars. Where a certain part is not listed as available - this is legit, and means the SC cannot physically order a part you may need. But In that instance there should be an obvious supercession with a replacement part that is compatible for your vehicle. In your case this shoud be pretty straightforward, as your brake hardware really is identical across the variants as you describe. Basically you should be able to use anything (with Brembo front & Mando rears) up to refresh. There were some pad material changes but if you're ordering just the caliper, this should also not be an issue.

Question - why do you need new calipers? Typically it should be possible to rebuild them, unfortunately Tesla doesn't offer this, but if you can find a reputable shop with Brembo certification (because then they have access to Brebo repair parts) it should be pretty straight-froward.

Options:
1. go ask another SC. Ask the same (straight-forward) question. The parts ordering can be a bit hit or miss. Skill level varies (as much as we'd like to think it shouldn't). The fact that you asked for a caliper and were offered a rotor is a red-flag that whoever is dealing with you has NFI. You could also call them out on it, and hopefully get attention from the service manager, which should REALLY set things back on course. If it doesn't, that's a great reason to start looking for a different SC...
2. Ask to see the parts catalog, and work through it with your advisor. This needs to be in-person, and kinda up to the SC (they could tell you to bugger off :( ) The parts catalog IS well written and should be straight-forward, although ordering off it might not be. If that's the case, you really gotta lean on them to figure out what exactly is preventing you getting the part numbers you really need. Annoying, but...
3. You could buy second-hand, I know it's not desirable, especially for brakes, but provided you find a nice clean set of parts, calipers are very important (and safety-critical) but they're also pretty simple and bulletproof.

Tesla Parts Team - hmmm. Tough one, that can be hit or miss too. There is a team, they do operate on the back-end (in CA), but (how to put this nicely) are usually strung out, and under supported. They will be preoccupied with whatever the biggest fire is...

But This problem should be extremely easy to solve. I'm sure if you speak with someone that is more capable, you shoud. be albe to navigate through it. For sure, the parts you really need should be readily available. (although I'm still super curious why you're looking to replace four unassembled calipers on a Dec-2020 Model X!)

Also you know what you're getting, right? Those parts you're after really re bare calipers - that's NO pads, pins, shims, spring clips, nothing. Just the raw calipers. Is that what you need?

You can also buy complete caliper assemblies, delivered and ready to be installed, including everythign you need, brand-new. It seems more likely you'd want those but I don't know the background here. Consider those might also be easier to get, as they will be more readily available stock on-hand. It's extremely unusual to need to replace a caliper only, sans all the associated pad parts. These mihgt not be readily available. If your parts advisor is NOT clued in (likely, going off their failure to differentiate between caliper and rotor), then you might be pushing them into parts procurements that are unnecessarily difficult. Just a thought...

Just realized how old this post is, how did you end up going?