Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advanced Summon Coming Soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been waiting for this feature. The ability to get dropped off at the door of a restaurant or shopping mall and having the car go park itself is VERY appealing! Also, how much safer is it for the car to come get you at the door then walking around a dark parking lot at night trying to find your car? Very cool stuff.

Dan

Reactions: shanif
Ok, now this has me interested! Release in about 6 weeks puts it right around X-mas time, so that would be a very nice present. However I don’t believe for a second that Elon’s timeframe will hold. I’m going to say it will be at least double what his estimate is.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say all of the things Elon promised for AP1 (off ramp on ramp , smart summon) were things he dreamed about and found out they could only do with AP2. This makes me a bit nervous for the AP2 promises. Some part of me thinks a year or two from now, a new hardware suite will come out, and he’ll just stop talking about AP2. And I know he promised upgrades, but MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade path was promised, and like I said before, sometimes I think the first Elon tweet about a feature is the first time his engineers hear about it. I love these cars, but I see a similar upgrade path like I do with my PC, I can swap in new hardware, but eventually I need a new machine every 3 years to fulfill my performance demands. I wish I drove few enough miles to lease...

Reactions: Darmie
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say all of the things Elon promised for AP1 (off ramp on ramp , smart summon) were things he dreamed about and found out they could only do with AP2.

IMO, when AP was launched, Elon was talking about his vision for the system, regardless of hardware. (I know he also made claims around AP1 functionality which we know will never happen).

For goodness sake...this was a perfect candidate for the first feature of FSD.

What is going on?

This just seems like a camera-aware version of the current Summon, which is part of Autopilot.

In contrast, the abilities Elon tweeted about yesterday (the car being able to park itself in a lot and read signs) seems like a great first feature for FSD Summon.

Wait-a-min.....you just quoted what I said.

No. I’m making a distinction between the abilities mentioned in this thread that are coming fairly soon vs the Summon abilities that were part of yesterday’s news and coming in a ~year, and saying the latter could fit in with FSD version of Summon.

The distinction in my mind is LoS (or los if you’d like). On the one hand the car can follow you around like a puppy when you can see it, in the other you’re telling the car to go find a spot and figure it out while you [presumably] could walk away.

For goodness sake...this was a perfect candidate for the first feature of FSD.

What is going on?
To me Full Self Driving is just that. Put in a destination and take a nap. I realize that this will probably be rolled out incrementally but anything less than full self driving is just that...NOT full self driving. Seems like enhanced autopilot to me, but that's just me.

Dan

Reactions: super20g