Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional Warranty on MS worth it - please advise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, just wanted to check if additional warranty on model S? How many extra year warranty is recommended? Thanks all.

I'd go for as much additional warranty as possible.

Think about how much the big things cost (battery and drive train), both of which can fail at any time. Also consider that most other parts making up the car aren't the best quality, best design and will occasionally fail too. Just look around here for threads on suspension parts failing, those damned headlights (if you have the facelift) and so on.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Hi, just wanted to check if additional warranty on model S? How many extra year warranty is recommended? Thanks all.
Depends on how long you plan to keep the car. If you go for the longer (4 year) extension and end up selling the car early, you can cancel and get a prorated refund. However, having the extended warranty can also be a good selling point as it is transferable (through Tesla) to the next owner.

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricTravel
How much was the discounted for the warranty vs currently? When did they offer it?

When I purchased the extended warranty the discount period was during the first six months of ownership of a new Model S. I paid $4,250 and if I remember correctly was either a $250 or $500 discount. I agree with others on the post - value mostly depends on how long you intend to own your car.

Definitely a personal choice. I pulled the trigger on the 89th day of ownership before it went up $500.

I am glad we have the option on the MS and that it extends the original warranty. This is not available through Tesla on the M#, not sure about the Y.

Yes, I agree. We all have different reasons for extending the MS warranty or not. It’s nice to have choices both with the Tesla extended warranty and with third party extended warranty companies.

Financially, I don't think it's worth it at all, but that's my opinion. The odds are stacked against you.
extended warranties (stasticially speaking) are not worth the cost. Statistically speaking, one would be better off taking the thousands that an extended warranty costs, placing it into a CD. Will come out ahead at the end.

And yes, there are always outliers/exceptions. But these companies make their money off of NOT paying out..

Reactions: SO16
extended warranties (stasticially speaking) are not worth the cost

I don't think we can use the statistics argument in this case.

We're talking about and Tesla vs ICE cars. Totally different repair costs, especially on the main parts (battery and drive-train). Normally I would agree, if you take good care of your ICE car, regular checkups and so on, there's no benefit in an extended warranty, but with Tesla, with how they build them and how they don't have good QA, it's always a gamble.

• Disagree

We're talking about and Tesla vs ICE cars. Totally different repair costs, especially on the main parts (battery and drive-train). Normally I would agree, if you take good care of your ICE car, regular checkups and so on, there's no benefit in an extended warranty, but with Tesla, with how they build them and how they don't have good QA, it's always a gamble.

Is the battery and drivetrain already not covered under an 8 year warranty for the model S?

We're talking about and Tesla vs ICE cars. Totally different repair costs, especially on the main parts (battery and drive-train). .
Not so sure I agree. Repair costs for a car costing around the same when new ($116k) MB or BMW are most likely even higher for some components. A turbocharged BMW engine, or a dual clutch AMG transmission? Most likely the replacement costs for either of those exceed the costs for replacing one electric motor and maybe even would exceed the cost of a battery pack failure..

I bought the extended warranty and hope I never have to have a repair in the extended warranty period. I like to take care of my car myself and plan for long term ownership, but I can’t guarantee I will be able to address everything that could go wrong on my own. For me, it’s peace of mind in not having to worry about worst case scenarios.

Moderator note: This post plus the one immediately following were merged from another thread.

In 15 months of ownership we've put nearly 25k miles on our S75 which with the exception of the charging port and two door panels being replaced it has been 100% reliable. The car is only a few hundred miles away from 50K and i'm not sure I want to buy the extended warranty( i believe roughly $4k). I know the batteries are still under warranty for another 4 years so i'm at ease with regards to that. Is there anything I should do before it hits 50K? Maybe have Tesla perform an inspection to see if anything needs attention or just let it be and enjoy as we have been over the last year+?

Last edited by a moderator:
The house always wins on additional warranty when the house makes a good estimate on how much they might have to fix. Considering the frequency at which certain parts break on these cars. When Tesla first designed them they probably were expecting them to last longer and that figured into their warranty estimate right? Now if those parts start to fail at a greater frequency then you will come out ahead. The question is do parts fail at a greater frequency than Tesla anticipated?

I would say yes. I would definitely get the extended warranty. Even if you end up overpaying by a couple hundred the peace of mind is worth it. However, I don't think I would have overpaid by a couple hundred. The stuff that has broken on our car at 20k miles out of warranty would have been worth around 4000 already in repairs if I hadn't fixed stuff myself.