Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adapter: Roadster HPC to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered an adapter with my Model S so that I can charge it from old Roadster HPCs. There are several in the wild here to the North, East and South of me that Seattle-area owners use for road trips. Without this (given that there is no CHAdeMO adapter, or local Supercharger buildout) I would have been limited to 30A charging at J1772 stations, or 40A charging at campgrounds. I wasn't looking forward to taking the Model S on a trip and charging SLOWER than in the Roadster.

The car arrived on Sept 28, but the adapter just arrived today. Yay! Now I can charge at 70A just like with the Roadster. Good timing, as my wife and I are heading East tomorrow. (I actually don't think we'll need to use it because we're staying at a hotel with a 30A charger that we can reach without recharging, but boy is it nice to have as a backup).

HPCadapter.jpg

You won't necessarily be limited to 30A at a J1772 station if that station has a 70A J1772 unit. Many of the Rabobanks and other locations in CA have 70A J1772 chargers. I opted to not buy their $650 adapter and purchased the 75A J1772 conversion kit from ClipperCreek for the HPC instead.

You won't necessarily be limited to 30A at a J1772 station if that station has a 70A J1772 unit. Many of the Rabobanks and other locations in CA have 70A J1772 chargers. I opted to not buy their $650 adapter and purchased the 75A J1772 conversion kit from ClipperCreek for the HPC instead.

I have been considering that option as well, but I have heard from Tesla and ClipperCreek that if I still want to charge the Roadster, I must limit the J1772 output to 70A because the Roadster refuses to charge from a J1772 with more than 70A.

What do you know about this?

I have been considering that option as well, but I have heard from Tesla and ClipperCreek that if I still want to charge the Roadster, I must limit the J1772 output to 70A because the Roadster refuses to charge from a J1772 with more than 70A.

We know that it's a bug in the Roadster software that they've known about for a long time. Nobody is quite sure why they haven't fixed it yet but they've hinted that they would.

You won't necessarily be limited to 30A at a J1772 station if that station has a 70A J1772 unit.

True. That's an important thing to consider before buying one of these adapters; not everybody will need one. But while there are a lot of 70A J1772's down near you, I can only think of one within 800 miles of me. There's quite a few unconverted HPCs around here (not at home; I use an RFMC), so this adapter is, for now, the only way to charge as fast as a Roadster does. Too bad it was yet another $650, but I'm happy to have it. Of course I look forward to the day when I get to pay more for a CHAdeMO adapter, or Superchargers appear - and this adapter is obsolete. Man, being an early adopter can get expensive.

So this is the final adapter and not just a temporary kludge?

I'm guessing yes and no. I note the LA store is being remodeled and has moved the Roadster HPC to a different wall but is using one of these on it. My bet is that Tesla is waiting for a sign off from an official body and it going to be a loooong time till approval comes.

I think Dr Computer's solution is better. I did ask at the store why they didn't just change the plug? Need to charge Roadsters too.

Last edited:

ClipperCreek did say I could reprogram the HPC to do 75A but that the Roadster would not charge at all if it was reset to that rate. So, I just swapped out the cables and left the unit at 70A. The Roadster charges the same as before (with the J1772 adapter) and I presume when I plug in my S this weekend it too will charge at 70A.

ClipperCreek did say I could reprogram the HPC to do 75A but that the Roadster would not charge at all if it was reset to that rate. So, I just swapped out the cables and left the unit at 70A. The Roadster charges the same as before (with the J1772 adapter) and I presume when I plug in my S this weekend it too will charge at 70A.

I figured that I want to get a J1772 adapter for the Roadster anyway. I do most charging overnight at 40 Amps. Because I already own the Roadster HPC, then it puts me more compatible to other cars stopping by to convert the HPC to J1772 rather than buy the Roadster to S cable, and I will be able to have a 70A charger for the S or R when needed.

As to the current, the wiring and breaker for the HPC is 90A. 80% of 90A is 72A. If I go the J1772 way, both to stay compatible with the Roadster and to stay conservative with the Amps, I will just leave the HPC at 70A.

I've parsed this thread, and maybe I'm missing something, but did Tesla ever make this adapter?

I have Model S owners at my house quite often, needing a charge. I don't see the point of retrofitting my charger for them, forcing me to use an adapter. How do I get my hands on an adapter? Should I be making one myself?

Yes, the Roadster HPCs in WA (and OR, and the Northern third of CA) are at 70A, and you can use all of those amps with your dual chargers.

The Sun Country ones across CA all use J1772 heads, so you don't need the adapter there.

You will no longer need the Roadster HPC adapter once Tesla either puts in Superchargers around here, or sells a CHAdeMO adapter. So it's definitely a temporary thing.

ok, now what are the reasons I would want one, aside from using the roadster charging stations in the washington area (do those Roadster chargers charge faster than a level 2 EV charger?) I have dual chargers.

I only got one because my house already had a Roadster power connection at 70Amps. It was the cheapest solution to adapt that plug to the Model S. Only really bought it for home use as it was cheaper than replacing the Roadster connector in the garage with another alternative.