Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident and Repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still deciding on what to do. Maybe lease and then buy at end. I don't like high monthly payments and high down payments. This was the first time I put $5000 down and look what happened. Will still do chrome delete and tints and all the good stuff.

Unless the lease terms have changed recently you completely lose the $7,500 tax credit, assuming that you qualify for it, if you buy the car at the end of the lease. (You get lower payments during the lease, but then you pay it all back at the end.)

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Unless the lease terms have changed recently you completely lose the $7,500 tax credit, assuming that you qualify for it, if you buy the car at the end of the lease. (You get lower payments during the lease, but then you pay it all back at the end.)
Yes, last year when I bought my Model X, that's how the leases were structured too. I'm not sure if it has changed since then, but if you're considering buying the car at the end, then you should definitely research to see if that's still the case. It would suck to lose out on the $7500 federal tax credit!

I believe this is correct. Leasing bank receives the tax credit and it's built in into the lease price. I researched this when I leased my Volt few years ago.

Reactions: MXWing
One way to look at it is that if you go with a purchase, instead of a 3-year lease, is that the $7,500 tax credit reduces your monthly purchase payment by $208. (And possibly even more since you can invest that $7,500 to get some return on it over the 3 years.)

Reactions: rjdoc74
in the unlikely circumstance they won't total it. There will be $48k of damage. I want a model x rental. (AT LEAST 120/day) for 135 days (4.5 months how long it will take). $16,200. We want $10k+ in accelerated depreciation and diminished value. They will have to pay at least 5 monthly payments. $5445. This adds up to $79,645. TOTALED!!!!!
It is totaled because to total repairs should be 70% of value. 70% of value of $63,663 is $44564. It is fair condition because there was frame damage and major bodywork that would be needed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 10.27.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 10.27.22 PM.png
    237.6 KB · Views: 53
They will have to pay at least 5 monthly payments. $5445.

They would never have to make your payments. Them providing you a rental covers your transportation needs, but you still have to make the payments on your own car. (Otherwise you are getting benefit from the accident payments.)

70% of value of $63,663 is $44564. It is fair condition because there was frame damage and major bodywork that would be needed.

Fair market value is calculated based on what your car was worth before the accident. So unless the frame/body was damaged, and repaired, from a prior accident that doesn't count against the value of your car.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: K-MTG and BLKMDL3
Fair market value is calculated based on what your car was worth before the accident. So unless the frame/body was damaged, and repaired, from a prior accident that doesn't count against the value of your car.
Oops, that was my mistake. The value is: $69,742. 70% of that is $48,819. We will then do what I said above. Sue for diminished value and that stuff for $10k and then they have to pay for rental car. $16,400 for a model X or for a normal car in case they won't at $55/day. $7425
I think it is still totaled. New total estimate.
$74,400 for Model X loaner at $120/day.
$65,425 for regular rental at $55/day

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 8.30.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 8.30.06 PM.png
    107 KB · Views: 54
Oops, that was my mistake. The value is: $69,742. 70% of that is $48,819. We will then do what I said above. Sue for diminished value and that stuff for $10k and then they have to pay for rental car. $16,400 for a model X or for a normal car in case they won't at $55/day. $7425
I think it is still totaled. New total estimate.
$74,400 for Model X loaner at $120/day.
$65,425 for regular rental at $55/day
What do you guys think. Totaled?