Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few months ago A Better Routeplanner seemed to be the go-to resource for planning a journey, even though it was web rather than app based. Then it seemed to fall out of favour. I've never used it so I'm not sure why.

Now there is an app which also offers premium membership (€5 a month) with additional features. It also has an apple phone app which could be useful. Just wondering if anyone has used the premium app and is it any good?

I did a long journey to and from Germany in Jan. I tried to use ABRP and found it fairly useful to pre-trip planning, but not really of much use once on the move. In fact, the Tesla in-car nav did a very good job of plotting appropriate supercharger stops. Maybe if you can't use Tesla chargers then ABRP is of more use.

Reactions: drewpost
I've praised ABRP since it first came out but I found their latest release moved some things around and made it a bit less intuitive. Fortunately, you can revert to using the previous 'classic' version by adding /classic to the URL: A Better Routeplanner

I'm sure I can get used to the new version but it's nice the classic version is still available.

Last edited:
I tried to use ABRP and found it fairly useful to pre-trip planning, but not really of much use once on the move.
That's exactly my experience / feeling too. I didn't get around to deciding exactly what the reason was, but once driving I used info from ABRP to supplement the on-board std nav and it was more workable that way. Seemed to be linked to range calculations and planning charging stops based on actual drive rather than predicted.

I also liked planning route on phone / laptop then uploading to the car, but somehow once I had done that, things didn't work out exactly as per the plan and it wasn't very easy to re-plan while driving.

I also liked planning route on phone / laptop then uploading to the car, but somehow once I had done that, things didn't work out exactly as per the plan and it wasn't very easy to re-plan while driving.

I found that Tesla sat nav kept within its no waypoints limitation so when I uploaded a multistop trip from ABRP to the car, I just got the first stop. Apparently the way to do it is via calendar events, but I tried that too and useless if your trip was flexible. Apparently the long term aim is that the car will learn where I wan't to go via AI and it will automatically set the route - neat trick telepathy if it can work out that I want to travel to a location that I have never been to, but based upon its inability to even navigate to a location I have told it to go to, I'm not holding out much hope ;)

Like others (based upon not planning a trip with new version), I'm in the camp of planning trip on my sofa in ABRP, taking a printout of stops and charge requirements, then leaving the rest to the cars sat nav, manually entering next stop based upon printed plan.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB
There have been several discussions on 'no waypoints'. It doesn't make sense, as superchargers are handled as waypoints, so clearly it is possible!

I'm not aware of any specific suggestion that it will be addressed, especially as there is a reasonable list of similar 'obvious' omissions that need attention.

Apparently the way to do it is via calendar events, but I tried that too and useless if your trip was flexible. Apparently the long term aim is that the car will learn where I want to go via AI and it will automatically set the route - neat trick telepathy if it can work out that I want to travel to a location that I have never been to, but based upon its inability to even navigate to a location I have told it to go to, I'm not holding out much hope ;)

Musk has specifically said, 'no waypoints'. He wants the car to work it out for itself. Elon tweets "no waypoints", "car will autonavigate to your destination."

Blinkered to many customer needs.

I've praised ABRP since it first came out but I found their latest release moved some things around and made it a bit less intuitive. Fortunately, you can revert to using the previous 'classic' version by adding /classic to the URL: A Better Routeplanner

I'm sure I can get used to the new version but it's nice the classic version is still available.
Thanks for that. The new UI looks superficially better, but it's way less usable.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker